Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL moving draft to Friday night?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JackPMiller, May 4, 2007.

1. JackPMiller

JackPMiller Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

At least the first round. I heard it on ESPN's Around the Horn. I can't find a site, but I thought you may be interested in hearing that.
  2. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

* The 1st day would end at 3:00 am.
  3. Patriotic Fervor

Patriotic Fervor Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wouldn't be the first time the guys on Around The Horn went off the deep end...
  4. Handel

Handel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, only 1st round would be held on friday. Rounds 2-3, saturday and 4-7, sunday.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Heh. . . the natural progression of the thing, putting it in prime time. I like the idea. Now, if they can only figure out a way to jiggle the rules so that the first round doesn't take eleven hours.
  6. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think they should just put the 100 best players in a hat and walk around the War Rooms for an hour.
  7. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +135 / 2 / -2

#54 Jersey

Oh well, so much for the British and German fans getting chance to follow it. It's hard enough staying up until 4 in the morning watching a game (not that I mind, it's just very tiring), no way am I going to do it with the Draft.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Read where it would be the first 16 pix on Fri nite, then finish the round on Sat followed by the regular format.. imo it stinks, the way it is set up now works well, but then again I do not like change.
  9. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I like the way it works except for one thing...make the first round shorter. IMO six hours for the first round is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe make the time allotted for each pick ten or eleven minutes.
  10. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't be that long if every team didn't take trade offers at every pick you'd think at least one or two teams would know who they were going to pick and i really thikn the 1 pick shold only getlike 5 minutes i mean hell they have been on the clock for a couple months already without any changing their board with picks
  11. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That is true. The first pick definitely shouldn't get 15 minutes. They've had months to peruse players and trade offers. You'd think that would be enough time.
  12. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

I bet they do this, but they should think about the following first:

1. Drunk Jet Fans, they are bad enough have drunk at 1:00 pm in the afternoon, could you imagine them after happy hour? (Can you still see that guy from 1983, explaining why the Jets took O'Brien instaed of Marino "I guess the Jets front office knows something the rest of us don't" more in the bag than he already was? ouch.

2. They would have to pay for an extra night in the hotel for the Brady Quinn/Aaron Rodgers of the world who drop out of the top 16. Imagine the ESPN crew following them from the green room to thier hotel rooms.

Either way it is about ratings, and the ratings at say 7pm on a Friday night are going to be alot better than noon on a Saturday, so I would plan on watching the Pats make the San Fran pick sometime before 8:30 pm Friday night.
  13. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

They would have to start early as many have said. 6-7 and also shorten the first round time...I know it is about ratings..but I think it poor if it went 5-6 hours..a GOOD idea to make it 3 days..but..,shorten the time for teh rounds otherwise I feel it's NOT that great an idea..
  14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 17 / -2

The first round would be from 7:30 until its done, likely at 12:30 or 1, when Monday night football used to end. I don't see the problem, excpet that they will lose the west coast market.