PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Minor league?

An idea for a sustainable "minor league": Why doesn't the NFL create an official partnership with the CFL. CFL might not be interested at first, but if the NFL shares some profit with the CFL in return for allowing a larger number of "imports" on each team.

Could also expand the CFL a little bit and instead of having a farm team for each NFL team, there could be waivers or a draft specifically for CFL players' rights before the NFL Draft.
The CFL plays a different game with rules, etc.

If you play flat out football is incredibly injury-prone. Why should someone risk their career for minor-league compensation? On the other hand, unless it's played at full competitiveness it's hardly worth watching.
For the same reason players play in the D-leagues and minor leagues for the NBA, NHL, and MLB they want to prove themselves and make it to the big league team. It's not that different from the 8 players who sign to the practice squad.

Canadian football is decently different from NFL football, so the "minor league" players wouldn't even be playing the same sport. Hard to see that making them better NFL players. I think in Canada the CFL is seen as equal to the NFL in terms of talent (probably/definitely false), so I highly doubt they'd swallow their pride enough to let us call their league our "minor league".
Agree there are some difference, but I disagree that anyone in the CFL is deluded into believing the talent level is anywhere close to the NFL.

I love my minor league baseball games! I mean $5 dollar admission, great promotions: Thirsty Thursdays (half price beer), Dollar Monday (dollar admission, dollar hot dogs). But I think football would be a different story. I mean what happens if you blow your knee out? They had something with NFL Europe, it will (in my humble opinon) produce at least two HOFers (Vinateri & Warner). Maybe a partnership with the Arena League?

I think the NCAA would have a big problem with an NFL "minor league", and it's not hard to see why.

Can't really compare it with baseball's minor leagues anyway. When you're drafted by an NFL team early on, the expectation is you'll start either right away or soon. That is not the case for players drafted by a MLB team.

Canadian football is decently different from NFL football, so the "minor league" players wouldn't even be playing the same sport. Hard to see that making them better NFL players. I think in Canada the CFL is seen as equal to the NFL in terms of talent (probably/definitely false), so I highly doubt they'd swallow their pride enough to let us call their league our "minor league".

I think the CFL did have a partnership with the NFL back in the day where the NFL helped them financially in exchange for allowing players to leave for the NFL in their last year under contract.
Not sure if that's still the case today though.

it wouldn't work well.

it would need to be a small league(8-12 teams) none of which are linked to the NFL. thats what made the USFL work really well is they played in the NFL's offseason and had a lot of talent that might be 2nd or third string in the NFL.

The issue now though is every single person who gets paid to play football gets put under that "head trauma" unbrella. To much risk involved for minor league teams if a player gets hurt. they dont bring in enough money to cover a 1-2 billion dollar deal to cover its players.

So for now if you want to see some minor league football watch the CFL

According to many NFL fans, that would be the rest of the AFC East. ;)

The only way a minor leagues in football would work is if athletes were going to forgo college and go directly into the league. You have a minor league league with bottom of the roster and practice squad guys, it is going to fail because it will produce bad football. You have most of the top football players in the nation ages 18 to roughly 20-22 playing, and then you will be able to draw viewership.

NFL Europe failed not just because Europe didn't like U.S. football. They didn't like really bad U.S. football. And that is what you will get with a developmental league unless you rob the best athletes from college.

The NFL should set up a Spring-Summer league that takes kids out of high school, it would do a much better job of preparing them for the NFL and the athletes could get paid.

Rob them from college!

NFL Europe failed not just because Europe didn't like U.S. football. They didn't like really bad U.S. football. And that is what you will get with a developmental league unless you rob the best athletes from college.

Not so sure it was THAT much of a failure. Obviously, it was always going to lose money, but it had a few pretty well-supported teams. I think that the problem was more a lack of identity than the lack of quality (people don't mind not watching the most talented players if they are well coached and prepared and the games are competitive, I think). The teams weren't direct farm teams for individual franchises in the way that they are in baseball, but nor were they independent enough for the coaches and players to build up a relationship with fans over time. If they'd have found a way to fix that, I think it had a future.

A minor league playing at the same time as the NFL would be an economic drain, as it would be competing for consumers (fans) at the same time that 32 NFL teams, hundreds of college teams and thousands of high school teams are playing. I'm not convinced that there would be much of any fan support to watch these games, either in person or on television.

I don't think those underwriting that cost - the owners - would consider the benefit to outweigh the price.

How about the idea of 2 or 3 teams supporting one dev team in a area that is in a market that can support a minor league team... ie. Hartford for Pats, Giants. Etc.

The NFL should set up a Spring-Summer league that takes kids out of high school, it would do a much better job of preparing them for the NFL and the athletes could get paid.

Rob them from college!

Why would the NFL want to bite the hand that feeds them (for free)?

I have some very strong ideas about this. Some might even have some merit since I am probably the only one here who has actually played for an NFL supported minor league team. But some background first (for those who might not know the story).

The Atlantic Coast football League played up until 1970 with teams in Quincy (Pats), Bridgeport (Jets), Hartford (Bills), LI (Giants), Pottstown PA (Eagles), Harrisburgh (Steelers), Richmond (Saints), and Roanoke (Washington). Players were made up of guys who had been in the NFL and looking to get back. Some guys who had played at major colleges but weren't drafted, but mostly they were guys like me, fresh out of college, just looking to continue playing.

Everyone was paid. Pay ranged from what I got ($250/game) to a few big contracts. A QB named King Cochran was paid $100,000 to play for the Pottstown Firebirds (or at least that was the story). BTW- Just for reference, $250/game was more than I was making per week teaching school ($175) in 1969. So, while it seems like chump change now, back then it was a decent week's pay.

Our connection with the Pats was that of a minor league team. Our coaches were mostly former Pats players like Bob Dee and Ross O'Hanley. During the season the Pats send players down to play with us. We wore the Pats colors. But we practiced completely apart at Quincy HS and played at their field. From what I recall we probably averaged 10-15K/game. But we weren't well run or marketed. However when we played in PA or VA, we'd get up to 40,000/game. Hartford had a successful operation that averaged between 20-30K

Unfortunately the NFL and AFL officially merged in 1970 and part of that merger was for teams to give up any and all affiliations with any "minor league" teams. Without the monetary support from the individual teams the league quickly folded. For myself, I spent the next two summers as camp fodder with the Broncos. Don't hold it against me, back then, they were a bad team (which is one of the reasons I went there).

But that's just background. Back to the OP. I believe there really CAN be a successfully run minor league system for the NFL. But to keep costs down and the fan base energized it has to be regionalized and branded to a local NFL team. So instead of one minor league, how about four eight-team leagues. They would be centered geographically.

For example: In the northeast - The Pats, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Bills and Washington could each sponsor teams. They could set up operations in towns that are nearby the NFL franchises like they did with the teams I played against. Say places like Providence, Hartford, Brooklyn, Pottstown, Trenton, Harrisburg, Richmond and Roanoke.

You'd do the same in a southern region. Another eight in the midwest, and another in the SW centered around Texas.

They'd play a 10 game schedule playing the seven other teams in their division and one game each against one team in the other regions. The winners of each division could play a two-game playoff to see who is the minor league champ. I'd start the season about a month before the NFL starts, The season would be over by the end of October.

You could add a great incentive by allowing each team to add, say, four players to the PS's from their minor league team at the end of their season. Then in March each NFL team would have a right of first refusal to put any of their minor league's team players on the 90 man roster by a certain date. After that they become FA's and can be signed to any team's 90 man roster. Then in June the minor league team's can start signing their own players.

Payment should be very moderate. It shouldn't be considered a full time job. The season, including TC would only be about 4-5 months. Pay them something in the range of $3000/wk including TC. So $40-50k for a job that lasts less than half a year is reasonable for both management and talent. Of course more money is to be made for the teams who win their regions, and for those who get PS contracts with the parent teams

I think the key is keep it local as much as possible. I think there would lots of Pats fans, who don't get the chance to see live games to head down to Providence, Lowell or Worcester to see, a professional football game. with some future Pats players, for $20 bucks a ticket. It would be an excellent training ground not only for players, but for coaches, trainers, and other FO personnel as well.

I think a well run, well marketed team could get 30,000/game in the NE. Down South and in TX they could average 50K. I'm not sure it would be profitable for each team, but benefits to the league and the individual teams should more than outweigh the costs.

The minor league system that I think would fail would be the one where they put 10-15 teams all over the country with no direct affiliation with any current team in the NFL.

Last edited:
... I would have absolutely no interest in watching minor league NFL teams.
I do, if it is in the off season. I'd follow the Pawtucket Patriots. And if the tickets are reasonable I'll catch a game live as opposed to TV only.

But it is the model that shows people won't support it.
Not true. 1) They tried to play in the fall. 2) Their teams were not associated with any NFL team.

They already have one, and the players play for free, its called the SEC
I think the NCAA would have a big problem with an NFL "minor league", and it's not hard to see why...
With the students at Northwestern unionizing, the writing is on the wall. The years of the NCAA having free players is near the end. Prepare for the end of the current NCAA system. Better to be a year or two too early than a year or two too late.

Last edited:
The NCAA needs other avenues to develop for players to reach the NFL or they are toast. They can survive pretty much in their current format as long as alternative is available, i.e. play for a scholarship or play (for pay) in minor league football. My guess is most players will opt for the college route.

I'm in favour of the minor league because I feel the practice squad doesn't give some enough of a chance to develop into a competent player.

I mean just imagine if there was no feeder league(s) for the NHL. No Tim Thomas! And those who have a chance to persevere and eventually make it are real feel good stories.

Because they could do a much better job feeding themselves and make a tidy profit at the same time.

How about the idea of 2 or 3 teams supporting one dev team in a area that is in a market that can support a minor league team... ie. Hartford for Pats, Giants. Etc.
that was something that the Phinsider article suggested and honestly it would seem like something that would be needed for it to work.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back