PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL looking to put Super Bowl in London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL Looking To Put Superbowl On In London...

I don't see what the fuss is all about. It's not like London is becoming the permanent home of the NFL's championship in the same way Hawaii hosts the probowl.

It would be one Superbowl, big deal.

Right, and its not like any of us were going to go to the superbowl. Its all celebrities. Who cares?

Can you imagine the Premier League Futball Championship being played in America? The world would burst into flames.

That is frankly rediculous. This pseudo patriotic jingoism is killing this country.

That is possibly the silliest statement I've ever seen you make here.

That is possibly the silliest statement I've ever seen you make here.

Well, its the pseudopatriotic jingoism that got us the Patriot act.

The superbowl has nothing to do with being american. Its a football game, not some sort of national monument.

Last edited:

Well, its the pseudopatriotic jingoism that got us the Patriot act.

The superbowl has nothing to do with being american. Its a football game, not some sort of national monument.

Fear of terrorists got us the Patriot act. That's hardly pseudopatriotic jingoism.

As for football, feel free to name the major sports leagues that are based in one country (or group of countries) but put(s) the championship game in other countries that don't actually play the sport at any significant level.

Right, and its not like any of us were going to go to the superbowl. Its all celebrities. Who cares?

Speak for yourself. I've been to THREE Super Bowls. If the Pats made a Super Bowl that was slated for London, I'd be royally pissed.

What about time zones????

Let's see, London is 5 hours ahead of EST. So if the networks want to show the Superbowl in primetime, 6-10PM, the game would start at 11PM in London? Yeah that's going to work isn't it. :rolleyes:

So if they play the game as late as possible in London, say 8PM London time, it will be broadcast on the networks in the US of A at 3PM EST and 1PM West coast. Not exactly primetime. :rolleyes:

Who knows, maybe the NFL will tape the game and broadcast it during primetime........:eek:

Thanks Ross for noting my error

Last edited:
Re: What about time zones????

Let's see, London is 7 hours ahead of EST. So if the networks want to show the Superbowl in primetime, 6-10PM, the game would start at 3AM in London? Yeah that's going to work isn't it. :rolleyes:

So if they play the game as late as possible in London, say 8PM London time, it will be broadcast on the networks in the US of A at 1PM EST and 10AM West coast. Not exactly primetime. :rolleyes:

Who knows, maybe the NFL will tape the game and broadcast it during primetime........:eek:

It's actually 5 hours. Also, 7 hours ahead of 6PM is actually 1am, not 3am. So in short it would start at 11pm, some 4 hours earlier than what you said. But still, an 11pm game wouldn't attract much attention over here.

It's actually 5 hours. Also, 7 hours ahead of 6PM is actually 1am, not 3am. So in short it would start at 11pm, some 4 hours earlier than what you said. But still, an 11pm game wouldn't attract much attention over here.

Thanks, I edited my post. I based my timezone on my Franklin planner, yeah, I still use one.

To be honest, all these rumours i keep hearing about a London Superbowl or a London franchise i just can't see it.

There just isn't the fanbase to sustain it. Ok there is a hardcore following who like me will keep going to the IS games and occasionally travel to the States to see the game but that's it. If there was a franchise in London i couldn't make the trip to London 8 times a year and it would be hell on the players for road games.

Then you have to factor in the fact that the only people who would actually go to these games, already have an NFL team. Would i stop supporting the Patriots just because London got a franchise? Hell no.

Roger Goodell really needs to give up his idea on international expansion, i mean i love the sport but the vast majority do not care.

Just to say, the vast majority of British fans seem dead against this.

It's not right, simple as. They need to put an end to all this expansion stuff and just stick to a regular game over here once a year if they want to appeal more to British fans. If he thinks a team would work here he's dreaming.

Down with Goodell!

Down with Goodell!

Down with Goodell!

It just seems ridiculous. The World Football League failed, NFL Europe failed, the rebranded NFL Europa failed...so let's try putting the Super Bowl and a franchise there? :confused: :confused:

Maybe Goodell hears about how big football is in Europe and doesn't realize they aren't talking about AMERCIAN football. Has this guy NOT bungled anything since he took over?

It just seems ridiculous. The World Football League failed, NFL Europe failed, the rebranded NFL Europa failed...so let's try putting the Super Bowl and a franchise there? :confused: :confused:

Maybe Goodell hears about how big football is in Europe and doesn't realize they aren't talking about AMERCIAN football. Has this guy NOT bungled anything since he took over?

Precisely, im not bagging on the NFL here because of i love the sport but the UK simply doesn't care.

I literally don't know anybody who watches the NFL, none of my friends have any idea about the sport. There is absolutely no coverage in newspapers, infact i think i've only ever seen two articles in a newspaper about the NFL. Both very very small, one about the Superbowl and one about the Wembley game. There just isn't the market for it.

There is a small, hardcore following of the NFL in the UK. But thats it and it isn't anywhere close enough to being able to support a franchise.

Just to say, the vast majority of British fans seem dead against this.
It's not right, simple as. They need to put an end to all this expansion stuff and just stick to a regular game over here once a year if they want to appeal more to British fans. If he thinks a team would work here he's dreaming.
Precisely, im not bagging on the NFL here because of i love the sport but the UK simply doesn't care.

I literally don't know anybody who watches the NFL, none of my friends have any idea about the sport. There is absolutely no coverage in newspapers, infact i think i've only ever seen two articles in a newspaper about the NFL. Both very very small, one about the Superbowl and one about the Wembley game. There just isn't the market for it.

There is a small, hardcore following of the NFL in the UK. But thats it and it isn't anywhere close enough to being able to support a franchise.

Just to say - I'm with all of these guys. I live in London and went to the last two NFL games here, there's just not enough demand for the NFL. We couldn't support a franchise right now let alone a Super Bowl, and frankly we don't deserve it. The Super Bowl is an American icon and it should remain that way. Pat the Pats Fan pointed out the timezone thing too and he's exactly right. It's just not workable....and that's fine.

We watch 'American' football because it's a great sport and we love everything about it. There is no equivalent in the UK because it just doesn't translate, culturally. The NFL gets attention a few times a year, but that's about it. Sky (the main satellite TV provider) have the rights and do a great job, but unless regular NFL games are on mainstream free-to-air channels then the vast majority of the population will never watch them.

Our national sports are just...different. Soccer and rugby are games that are constantly active, the action never stops. Read Peter King's latest MMQB on seeing a Premier League game for the first time, he highlights the difference well.

As much as I despise and denigrate Goodell, remember that Kraft is pushing for the oversase stuff. Wanted Chiner big time. Kraft is also the owner involved with TV rights, the NFLN vs Comcrap fiasco as well. I respect Kraft in business and as the Pats owner but given his excerable media offerings (Patriots radio bozos) I wonder if he hasn't exceeded his Peter Principle on the media sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back