PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL league office: All Patriots tapes have been destroyed! [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew they didn't want that stuff to get more junk on us. It made no sense and is almost impossible to do. they just didn't want us to maintain any edge we may have gotten through the videotaping.

Nice one on the defensive miking. The Jets are just slinging around any accusation they can but you do need some evidence. Boy, I hope someone nails them for something this year.

We pretty much talked about this the other day. They didn't even watch the tapes to see what was on them. Just dumped em in the incinerator. They just didn't want Bill to have them

The only surprise, I thought they'd wait a few weeks to give the appearance of a thorough review. I guess that "leaked tape" gave Kraft a little leverage to tell Goodell to end this quickly.

It over Johnny.

I think it was only other tapes the Patriots had of teams on the sidelines during games like the ones seized at the Jets game. Not every tape they had of anything. By prolonging this it kept it in the news and hurt the NFL product and owners themselves may not have liked that. Money is more important than making themselves look bad.

Re: NFL league office: All Patriots tapes have been destroyed! [merged]

pats.jpg

Good photo, I'm collecting these and I'll have the best put on T-Shirts. Who knows, they're not official NFL Logo's, maybe I'll market them. I know Bostonions know how to take a joke, after all how do you explain Tanked up Teddy?

I think it was only other tapes the Patriots had of teams on the sidelines during games like the ones seized at the Jets game. Not every tape they had of anything. By prolonging this it kept it in the news and hurt the NFL product and owners themselves may not have liked that. Money is more important than making themselves look bad.

Besides, if it turns out there is anything on the tapes that BB thinks is important, he can always arrange a break-in into Bill Polian's office and steal the tape back.

....Just kidding!

Last edited:
PFT Beats the Dead Horse one last time...

At least they admit it is resolved...

POSTED 10:46 p.m. EDT, September 20, 2007

RESOLUTION TO PATS' SCANDAL HAS A STRANGE FEEL

Okay, so the NFL has received from the Patriots all materials related to the videotaping of defensive signals, and has destroyed them. The matter apparently is closed.

In all candor and with all due respect, however, something about this doesn't feel right. The destroyed materials had no real value, since any head coach or defensive coordinator who ever had played against the Belichick-led Pats would have surely revamped his defensive signals before facing them again. Even with the materials destroyed, any coach who would assume that a team that cheated in the first place by making the tapes wouldn't cheat by squirreling away a copy of the destroyed tapes doesn't deserve to have a job in the league.

But what of the ongoing rumors of other transgressions, such as the placement of microphones on defensive linemen? NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP, "We have no evidence to support that claim."

That's fine. No sanctions can ever be imposed on a matter of this nature without evidence. The real question, though, is what the league is doing, if anything, to search for such evidence.

Over the weekend, former Oakland receiver Tim Brown said on FSN's Pro Football Preview that an audiotape was sent to the the Raiders in 2002 containing clear sounds of quarterback Rich Gannon calling out audibles and adjustments during the teams' epic 2001 divisional playoff game. On Sunday, Gannon reiterated the contention while calling the Raiders-Broncos game for CBS.

It sure sounds like the early stages of "evidence to support that claim."

Still, we can't blame the NFL for closing the book on this one quickly. The league has no greater incentive to fully investigate the potential depths of the Patriots' rabbit hole than the Falcons had to insist on an archaeological at Michael Vick's property.

In these situations, nothing good can come of finding something bad.

Gregg Easterbook of ESPN.com addressed the potential ramifications of this scandal in his most recent Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, in a compelling look at a P.R. problem that could bring about a reduction in the league's popularity.

And that's why the best outcome might be to find a way to move on/move out regarding the whole cheating thing without screwing up what has become a very, very good thing for a lot of people. Us included.

We don't bust our butts on this site because we dislike the NFL and want to see its fan base shrink. I vividly remember as a kid being irritated by the notion that baseball was America's pastime, and being elated when it became clear that the NFL was the new king of the hill. But despite all of that, there's still a little voice in our guts telling us it's only right for the truth to come out (whatever it might be), and that even if the proof creates a short-term embarrassment the long-term interests of the sport will be vindicated.

So in the absence of a governmental body that has jurisdiction to poke its nose into these affairs, the onus falls on the "real" media to start turning stones in order to determine whether the skeletons in the closet have any meat on their bones. If there's anything to the whispers that resonated through the grapevine last week, there undoubtedly will be at least one former employee of the Patriots who no longer works in the NFL and has no aspiration to return -- and who has enough first-hand knowledge to make this story about something more than a guy with a video camera recording images that are in plain view of everyone during an NFL game.

Whether the "real" media is engaged in any such efforts remains to be seen.

what would happen if jay glazer shows clips of one of the destroyed tapes ??
Everyone would assume that the Patriots did not destroy all the tapes and a whole new witch hunt would ensue.

Everyone would assume that the Patriots did not destroy all the tapes and a whole new witch hunt would ensue.

I wonder where Mangini keeps all his copies of the Belichick libraries.

Re: NFL league office: All Patriots tapes have been destroyed!

Its nice to go through a few days without any mention of all of this. Now Karma needs to kick in and the NY Rats need to get busted for something. Then all of the focus on the Pats will just fade away.....

And that should be the chant ringing through Gilette when the Jets come to town.

R-A-T-S RATS! RATS! RATS!

WOW! Thats awesome news. Off to Glendale we go!!!

I wonder where Mangini keeps all his copies of the Belichick libraries.

Well, I'm sure when Eric comes to the Razor for the next game, the fans will give him a very warm reception.

To all those who ran around screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" I have to take this opportunity to say, I TOLD YOU IT WASN'T THAT BIG A DEAL!

It wasn't a "lucky" guess if anyone had taken a look at the big picture from the start. I can see all the opposing fan forums now!!! That just makes me smile bigger than the green faced smiley!

-More will be uncovered
-Belichicks career is over
-They're going to fire Belichick
-This is the beginning of the end

Instead of 2 thumbs WAY up, you all get 2 center fingers pointing high & mightily toward the sky!!

As I said many times....IT'S ALL OVAH!!

Last edited:

Its nice to go through a few days without any mention of all of this. Now Karma needs to kick in and the NY Rats need to get busted for something. Then all of the focus on the Pats will just fade away.....

It's strange, but I'm not nearly as po'd with the Jets as I'd be if they were any good. Since I believe they have been rendered irrelevant, I'm more upset with all those who continuously and relentlessly hammered our Patriots for the past 10 days...namely, anyone who's not a Pats fan!:cool:

Thank heavens this is over - though there is still a nasty odor surrounding the NFL HQ. I believe they want this over and want the games to be the focus of interest instead of coaching practices. BUT.... Goodell has left too many things up in the air with little or no explanation

1. Is stealing signals (offensive or defensive signals) legal? If this is the case what made the NFL accept the Miami use of video and audio tape but not NE's (9 months or 4 regular season games apart)?

2. Was videotaping from the sidelines cheating (the NFL has not confirmed or denied that charge) and if so how was the information used on the field to gain an advantage. If NE did use the information live or to any great advantage dont you think that Mangini would have ratted that titbit as well?

3. How did the confiscated tape end up with Fox Network (this may be the only reason that this case has been finally closed - that is to avoid Goodell any personal embarassment)?

4. How much of the momentum for the sting arose from the Jets desire for revenge for Kraft stealing Bellichick in 2000 (when was Goodell working there again?).

I hope the future sports historians will be able to shed some light on these issues, but until then I am happy to move on.

Get a load of the sh!t posted at PFT. {Particularly annoying text bolded)

POSTED 10:46 p.m. EDT, September 20, 2007

RESOLUTION TO PATS' SCANDAL HAS A STRANGE FEEL

Okay, so the NFL has received from the Patriots all materials related to the videotaping of defensive signals, and has destroyed them. The matter apparently is closed.

In all candor and with all due respect, however, something about this doesn't feel right. The destroyed materials had no real value, since any head coach or defensive coordinator who ever had played against the Belichick-led Pats would have surely revamped his defensive signals before facing them again. Even with the materials destroyed, any coach who would assume that a team that cheated in the first place by making the tapes wouldn't cheat by squirreling away a copy of the destroyed tapes doesn't deserve to have a job in the league.

But what of the ongoing rumors of other transgressions, such as the placement of microphones on defensive linemen? NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP, "We have no evidence to support that claim."

That's fine. No sanctions can ever be imposed on a matter of this nature without evidence. The real question, though, is what the league is doing, if anything, to search for such evidence.

Over the weekend, former Oakland receiver Tim Brown said on FSN's Pro Football Preview that an audiotape was sent to the the Raiders in 2002 containing clear sounds of quarterback Rich Gannon calling out audibles and adjustments during the teams' epic 2001 divisional playoff game. On Sunday, Gannon reiterated the contention while calling the Raiders-Broncos game for CBS.

It sure sounds like the early stages of "evidence to support that claim."

Still, we can't blame the NFL for closing the book on this one quickly. The league has no greater incentive to fully investigate the potential depths of the Patriots' rabbit hole than the Falcons had to insist on an archaeological at Michael Vick's property.

In these situations, nothing good can come of finding something bad.

Gregg Easterbook of ESPN.com addressed the potential ramifications of this scandal in his most recent Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, in a compelling look at a P.R. problem that could bring about a reduction in the league's popularity.

And that's why the best outcome might be to find a way to move on/move out regarding the whole cheating thing without screwing up what has become a very, very good thing for a lot of people. Us included.

We don't bust our butts on this site because we dislike the NFL and want to see its fan base shrink. I vividly remember as a kid being irritated by the notion that baseball was America's pastime, and being elated when it became clear that the NFL was the new king of the hill. But despite all of that, there's still a little voice in our guts telling us it's only right for the truth to come out (whatever it might be), and that even if the proof creates a short-term embarrassment the long-term interests of the sport will be vindicated.

So in the absence of a governmental body that has jurisdiction to poke its nose into these affairs, the onus falls on the "real" media to start turning stones in order to determine whether the skeletons in the closet have any meat on their bones. If there's anything to the whispers that resonated through the grapevine last week, there undoubtedly will be at least one former employee of the Patriots who no longer works in the NFL and has no aspiration to return -- and who has enough first-hand knowledge to make this story about something more than a guy with a video camera recording images that are in plain view of everyone during an NFL game.

Whether the "real" media is engaged in any such efforts remains to be seen.

Seriously, this guy is revealing himself to be little more than a gutter whore. Anyone that talk that pathetic site serious is out of thier minds. :enranged:

though there is still a nasty odor surrounding the NFL HQ.

Whoever leaked that tape to FOX ended up doing the Pats a favor. The league office does not look good when things like that happen.

Belichick has been fined and reprimanded. The Pats are still winning. Life goes on. :rocker:

All the tapes from back then are probably on computers with passwords

Maybe they should send Mangina in to lift a few more laptops.

Last edited:

Seriously, this guy is revealing himself to be little more than a gutter whore. Anyone that talk that pathetic site serious is out of thier minds. :enranged:

LOVE the Moss avatar!!

I hope the future sports historians will be able to shed some light on these issues, but until then I am happy to move on.

Why? I'd be very, very happy if I were to never hear anything about this again!

Another factor is how dominant the Pats were against SD, after which it was apparent they have better than a 50% chance of getting to and winning the SB. Does the NFL want a scandal going on at that point? That would damage their showcase event.

Goodell overplayed the "honest competition" language in his statement when he announced the punishment. I bet he wishes he hadn't done that, because that's what unleashed the press to use the word "cheating" and go into a frenzy. Should have been downplayed, not made into a big public event.

Usually reporters are not quite so blatent about wanting to make news rather than report it. This guy just wrote a long column that says, "Waah, I don't want this story to be over."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back