PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Investigations that I'm still waiting for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Other NFL Teams that "Cheat"

The reality is that Jimmy Johnson probably taught BB how to tape.

No. JJ came into the league after Belichick. JJ picked it up in 1999, but he was taught by guys like Howard Mudd of the Colts.

Here's Tony Dungy constantly insulting Belichick, and meanwhile he employs a guy who videotapes, is employed by a guy who turns up the heat in the stadium, pumps in the noise, and changes the rules of the game to suit the Colts' style of play.

That makes Dungy a hypocrite.

Well, yes but you've got two things working against you....

First of all Senator Specter LIKES the Eagles so the chances of him calling for a Congressional investigation on Reid is low in the first place...

Second of all Comcast was the sponsor of the Philadelphia Car Show and the LAST thing Comcast wants is bad publicity over such an incident, and given the the real reason Senator Specter was so gung ho to investigate the Patriots is that he was paid off by Comcast to do so.

If it was genuine concern about the state of the NFL he'd investigate ALL the aforementioned documented efforts by teams and players to cheat.

So chances are you're out of luck on getting compensated for the cheesefries.

Nice first post though - good football insights and quite the sense of humor demonstrated there. Cheesefries! My, my sides are hurting from laughing.

Glad to give you all a giggle.:rocker:
:bricks:To you next time we meet.

Glad to give you all a giggle.:rocker:
:bricks:To you next time we meet.

Have we met before?

Regardless.... now where is the Donovan McNabb puking smilie?

Oh well, this well have to do

1025mcnabbpuke.jpg

sticky please.

Pro Football Talk nailed it :

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/02/23/taping-practices-is-nothing-new/

TAPING PRACTICES IS NOTHING NEW
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2008, 11:32 p.m.

Regardless of whether the Patriots did or didn't videotape the Rams' walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, it's not the first time that such allegations have been raised.

As Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports wrote in the days following the discovery that the Pats were taping defensive coaching signals during a Week One game against the Jets, the Broncos were suspected at one time of secretly videotaping Chargers practices.

Wrote Cole: "The San Diego Chargers increased their security several years ago at a hill overlooking the practice field at the team facility during weeks when they played the Denver Broncos. Why? It turns out Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices. The NFL had been aware of it for several years (at least one NFL official had seen one of the tapes), but didn't step in because it was considered a team issue."

Such stories tend to support the rumor that Patriots coach Bill Belichick included with the materials surrendered to the league extensive evidence of cheating by other teams.

Further bolstering the belief that the Pats weren't the only team doing what they were caught doing are the comments of former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson. The Boston Herald has posted the transcript of a WFAN interview that we first mentioned on September 29, during which Johnson said that the videotaping of defensive coaching signals was a widespread practice.

"I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league," Johnson said on September 28. "Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you're going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace."

And this kind stuff is nothing new. Way back in 1967, Lee Grosscup wrote an item for Sport magazine that delved into the issue of spying in football.

The bigger issue with what the Patriots did against the Jets is that the Pats continued to do something that the league had specifically told teams not to do, and that the Jets decided to make a sufficiently big deal about it that it set off a media firestorm.

The staggering penalty applied to the Patriots ($250,000 fine and loss of a first-round pick) and coach Bill Belichick ($500,000 fine) created the impression that this really was a big deal, regardless of the fact that it had been going on for an extended period of time.

And by hitting the Pats so hard, the league backed itself into a corner. If the videotaping of defensive coaching signals compels such a harsh sanction, evidence that such things have been occurring on a widespread basis would potentially shake public confidence in the sport.

But at a time when folks are chasing (as we think they should) the question of whether the Patriots cheated in connection with Super Bowl XXXVI or any other postseason game since 2001, we think that resources and effort also should be devoted to exploring whether and to what extent there has been cheating by other teams.

Maybe that's why teams like the Steelers and Eagles aren't willing to blame spying on losses to the Pats in the 2004 AFC title game and Super Bowl XXXIX, respectively. Maybe the problem in both cases isn't that either of the teams within Senator Arlen Specter's territory were the victims of skullduggery. Maybe the problem is that they didn't take enough steps to prevent themselves from being victimized by practices that were an open secret prior to Week One of the 2007 regular season.

We should demand our #1 back DAMNIT :mad:

Face facts guys. Not all teams cheat. I'm not gonna try to drag other teams down because of this. If the Colts were the ones caught with the camera and not us, you'd bet we'd all have different opinions. We shouldn't be filming other teams. End of story.

Herm Edwards admitted to using Stickum long after it was banned...

He'd put a little on his ankle and dab his fingers in it just before a play....

Why isn't Brandon Merriweather doing this?

Pro Football Talk nailed it :

"TAPING PRACTICES IS NOTHING NEW

Regardless of whether the Patriots did or didn't videotape the Rams' walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, it's not the first time that such allegations have been raised.

As Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports wrote in the days following the discovery that the Pats were taping defensive coaching signals during a Week One game against the Jets, the Broncos were suspected at one time of secretly videotaping Chargers practices.

Wrote Cole: "The San Diego Chargers increased their security several years ago at a hill overlooking the practice field at the team facility during weeks when they played the Denver Broncos. Why? It turns out Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices. The NFL had been aware of it for several years (at least one NFL official had seen one of the tapes), but didn't step in because it was considered a team issue."

Such stories tend to support the rumor that Patriots coach Bill Belichick included with the materials surrendered to the league extensive evidence of cheating by other teams.

Further bolstering the belief that the Pats weren't the only team doing what they were caught doing are the comments of former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson. The Boston Herald has posted the transcript of a WFAN interview that we first mentioned on September 29, during which Johnson said that the videotaping of defensive coaching signals was a widespread practice.

"I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league," Johnson said on September 28. "Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you're going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace."

And this kind stuff is nothing new. Way back in 1967, Lee Grosscup wrote an item for Sport magazine that delved into the issue of spying in football.

The bigger issue with what the Patriots did against the Jets is that the Pats continued to do something that the league had specifically told teams not to do, and that the Jets decided to make a sufficiently big deal about it that it set off a media firestorm.

The staggering penalty applied to the Patriots ($250,000 fine and loss of a first-round pick) and coach Bill Belichick ($500,000 fine) created the impression that this really was a big deal, regardless of the fact that it had been going on for an extended period of time.

And by hitting the Pats so hard, the league backed itself into a corner. If the videotaping of defensive coaching signals compels such a harsh sanction, evidence that such things have been occurring on a widespread basis would potentially shake public confidence in the sport.

But at a time when folks are chasing (as we think they should) the question of whether the Patriots cheated in connection with Super Bowl XXXVI or any other postseason game since 2001, we think that resources and effort also should be devoted to exploring whether and to what extent there has been cheating by other teams.

Maybe that's why teams like the Steelers and Eagles aren't willing to blame spying on losses to the Pats in the 2004 AFC title game and Super Bowl XXXIX, respectively. Maybe the problem in both cases isn't that either of the teams within Senator Arlen Specter's territory were the victims of skullduggery. Maybe the problem is that they didn't take enough steps to prevent themselves from being victimized by practices that were an open secret prior to Week One of the 2007 regular season."

We should demand our #1 back DAMNIT :mad:

And of course the Cole article was promoted here in recent days - credit PFT for listening to the Patsfan(s) who send him these articles that we post here

We also know that members of the media DO frequent this board and gain insights and resources from us... which is why Keegs and I started these threads in the first place.

They do make a difference. The facts have been getting in the way of everyone's desire to crucify the Patriots.

Last edited:
In that same game! How about the touchback that was never called when Ben Watson forced the fumble on Champ Bailey's int. That piece on NFL Films clearly shows it was impossible for the ball to be out at the 1!

as a Colts fan I have to agree on this 100% I have always said that should have been Pats ball at the 20 because that sure looked like a touchback to me

Face facts guys. Not all teams cheat. I'm not gonna try to drag other teams down because of this. If the Colts were the ones caught with the camera and not us, you'd bet we'd all have different opinions. We shouldn't be filming other teams. End of story.

Hmmm, Indy or Jets Fan. Hard to decide....

PS - ALL teams steal signals. ALL teams film their opposition. Get a clue.

The Pats obviously did some "cheating" with all of this spygate stuff. There is no way BB wastes his time with it if it wasn't beneficial. It's over and done with. Move on to something else already.
I understand Pats fans problem with the attention, as this has been overblown. It would be nice to find out exactly what happened here, but that will probably never happen.
In this thread I only have an issue with talking about the colts getting all the calls. I feel they have been the beneficiary of bad calls for sure. I also feel every team in the league has benefitted from highly questionable calls including the patriots. I hate when fans complain about that because it happens for every team from time to time.

colts d line coach john teerlinck infamously known around the league for encouraging his guys to take out opponents knees with the sole intent to injure. nothing was done about it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2170066

Indianapolis Colts: Ex-NFL quarterback and current CBS analyst Boomer Esiason used an interview on Sirius NFL Radio to accuse Colts defensive line coach John Teerlinck of teaching dirty tactics, the Indianapolis Star said.

Asked about the confrontation Sunday between Teerlinck and Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich, who twice made an obscene gesture at the Colts coach, Esiason asserted that Teerlinck has a reputation for instructing players to "dive at a quarterback's knees."

"[Teerlinck] teaches his guys techniques that really border on trying to get someone hurt and knock them out of the game," Esiason said. "I understand why Byron Leftwich did what he did. I don't condone that, but what I would have loved for him to do is just go up there and punch [Teerlinck] in the mouth." Leftwich declined to comment specifically about the incident after the game.

Teerlinck, a fourth-year coach with the Colts, has not made himself available to the media since similar allegations arose in the 1996 season when he was an assistant coach with the Detroit Lions, the Star said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing