PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Investigations that I'm still waiting for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Other NFL Teams that "Cheat"

Redskins piped in crowd noise in 2000. Tagliabue swept it under the rug by saying that they only enhanced the sound of the cheerleaders. He fined them only $20,000. Goodell sickens me :mad:

Redskins piped in crowd noise in 2000. Tagliabue swept it under the rug by saying that they only enhanced the sound of the cheerleaders. He fined them only $20,000. Goodell sickens me :mad:

wouldve been really interesting to see how tagliabue wouldve handled it. At the same time wouldve been interesting to see how he wouldve handled pacman,that dallas coach who was caught for HGH etc. the bad rap on him was that he was too lenient.

Can we create a sub-forum on the spygate, cheating etc and let the main forum to the team operations discussions?

wouldve been really interesting to see how tagliabue wouldve handled it. At the same time wouldve been interesting to see how he wouldve handled pacman,that dallas coach who was caught for HGH etc. the bad rap on him was that he was too lenient.

Yeah...too lenient... that Tags guy, he really hurt the league huh? Somebody else said it already. This Goodell guy came in and tried to be Wyatt Earp. Instead he's coming off more like Barney Fife. I hope he's gone soon.

What if we just have a hole before the opponents endzone that when they are about to score it opens and they fall forever.

Let's not forget any team BB used to coach, especially the Giants who open the doors in the stadium when the other teams gonna kick a field goal because it plays with the winds.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-historynflcheating&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Theres a few examples in this article from back in September, but the one that caught my eye was about Coach Shanahan:

More recently, the San Diego Chargers increased their security several years ago at a hill overlooking the practice field at the team facility during weeks when they played the Denver Broncos. Why? It turns out Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices. The NFL had been aware of it for several years (at least one NFL official had seen one of the tapes), but didn't step in because it was considered a team issue.

Last edited:

Herm Edwards admitted to using Stickum long after it was banned...

He'd put a little on his ankle and dab his fingers in it just before a play....

Here's an interesting article about all kinds of cheating from before "Spygate" even began

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/cheat/news/story?id=2957893

... of course, when its not the Patriots its known as "Gamesmanship"

NFL players look for any edge they can get

"Everybody in this league is trying to find a way to get away with something that creates an advantage," Tampa Bay QB Jeff Garcia says.

"This is a strategic game, and there are no slouches out there playing," said Kansas City offensive tackle Kyle Turley, a nine-year veteran. "You're talking about the best coaches and players in the business. And when everything is that even, you have to use everything you have."

Will Wolford, an offensive lineman who played 13 years in the NFL, once bragged on a radio show that a police officer gave him Kevlar that he used to line the padded gloves he wore in games.

And when Edwards started his career as a Philadelphia Eagles cornerback in 1977, coaches warned players to watch their playbooks during walk-through sessions in opposing stadiums.

"Things had a way of disappearing back in those days," Edwards said.

Edwards admits he found his way around at least one rule in his playing days. When the NFL outlawed Stickum after the 1980 season, Edwards continued to dab a small amount on the inside of his cleats, just below his ankles. Whenever he faced obvious passing downs, he'd reach down and rub some on his fingers.

Of course, Edwards wasn't the only player using that trick. He just understood the necessity of using every advantage. And he believes that is one thing that will never change in the NFL.

"It's definitely a different league now," Edwards said. "People are concerned about the image more than ever. But I also know there'll always be some gamesmanship going on. That's just how this business works."

Can we create a sub-forum on the spygate, cheating etc and let the main forum to the team operations discussions?

It's in the news and it's about the Patriots. That sounds about as reletive a main forum topic as you'll find. I'm tired of hearing it too, but after losing a 1st rounder and being fined 3/4 of a mil. everyone is curious as to what, if anything, is going to happen.

It's like rubber-necking by a car accident. Everyone slows down to see what happened and you get annoyed until you roll past the scene, then you do it too. That's why you even bothered to post in a thread titled "Other NFL Teams that "Cheat".

I'm sick of it too but it's there and it's not going away. As a fan I choose to deal with it and still be a fan. I wish people would go faster than 10 MPH by an accident too. I've got places to go like work. Unfortunately it is what it is.

minesota vikings are will known for pumping in crowd noise but i think all the NFL teams in some way cheat and thats way the NFL competition comitee is trying to kill this spy gate thing now befor everone finds out they cheat to

Knowing now that breaking NFL rules is viewed as "cheating" by the fans and the media, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread that focused on other "cheating" teams.

Feel free to add on in terms of teams and instances...

Off the top of my head here's a few:

Dolphins - apparently fond of taping QB's audible signals (raising questions as to how far back they had been engaging in such practice, tainting their Super Bowl ;) )

Bears - well known cheaters back to 1955, filming other teams walk throughs and other espionage

Chiefs - known as the Bears of the AFC for their cheating and spy tactics

Raiders - where to start, where to end? Give Al Davis credit though for admitting the extent of cheating in the NFL.

Broncos - won their Super Bowls by ignoring the Salary cap

49ers - accused of tampering by the Bears

Jets - illegally filming the Patriots without permission

Those are just a few off the top of my head... any others?

I was at the car show in philly the other weekend and andy reid stole my cheesefries.....isnt that cheating ?

I was at the car show in philly the other weekend and andy reid stole my cheesefries.....isnt that cheating ?

Well, yes but you've got two things working against you....

First of all Senator Specter LIKES the Eagles so the chances of him calling for a Congressional investigation on Reid is low in the first place...

Second of all Comcast was the sponsor of the Philadelphia Car Show and the LAST thing Comcast wants is bad publicity over such an incident, and given the the real reason Senator Specter was so gung ho to investigate the Patriots is that he was paid off by Comcast to do so.

If it was genuine concern about the state of the NFL he'd investigate ALL the aforementioned documented efforts by teams and players to cheat.

So chances are you're out of luck on getting compensated for the cheesefries.

Nice first post though - good football insights and quite the sense of humor demonstrated there. Cheesefries! My, my sides are hurting from laughing.

Last edited:

Knowing now that breaking NFL rules is viewed as "cheating" by the fans and the media, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread that focused on other "cheating" teams.

Dolphins - apparently fond of taping QB's audible signals (raising questions as to how far back they had been engaging in such practice, tainting their Super Bowl ;) )

Bears - well known cheaters back to 1955, filming other teams walk throughs and other espionage

Raiders - where to start, where to end? Give Al Davis credit though for admitting the extent of cheating in the NFL.

You forgot to mention the Colts pumping in crowd noise into the RCA Dome and Bill Polian corrupting the entire officiating crew prior to any and all big games at the RCA Dome.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-historynflcheating&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Theres a few examples in this article from back in September, but the one that caught my eye was about Coach Shanahan:

More recently, the San Diego Chargers increased their security several years ago at a hill overlooking the practice field at the team facility during weeks when they played the Denver Broncos. Why? It turns out Broncos coach Mike Shanahan had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices. The NFL had been aware of it for several years (at least one NFL official had seen one of the tapes), but didn't step in because it was considered a team issue.

Mark Schlereth. What say you?

Wayne Huizinga letting Dan Marino buy $390k of stock for one of his other companies below market value that shot up to $2 million in a few years. Most feel that was basically to pay him without affecting the cap and cheating.

The 49ers reportedly got Sega and Nike to give Deion Sanders contracts, but only if he played in San Francisco. This was to give him a big contract without affecting the salary cap.

Denver illegally structuring Elway's and Terrell Davis' contract to keep them under the cap without having to cut a role player through the years of 1996 and 1998.

George Allen taping the Cowboys practices (I assume when he was the Redskins coach) according to Ditka

The team doctor of the Pittsburgh Steelers getting $100k worth of HGH. No solid evidence of cheating, but seems likely.

The Carolina Panthers' Super Bowl team had half their team on steriods.

You can't leave off the steroid infused Steeler teams from the mid-70's. Steve Courson, a former player, claims that other teams started to use steroids to keep up with the Steelers and starting the whole issue.

Eighteen former Steelers have died in the past few years, many in strange ways. Recently the team fired one of it's doctors for having over $150,000 worth of roids and HGH that was uncovered during the recent internet sales scandal.

Wonder why that is not very high on Spectors list of issues. Perhaps they were all Democrats.

This is a great list

There's some pretty serious cheating by other teams here

I'm no mod but I wouldn't mind seeing this as a sticky - for any members of the media and other team fans who happen across this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes