PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Insider: Phins over Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get used to it b/c this is going to be the talk all year.

Of course, none of the writers actually say it's going to happen, but instead leave it open as "it could be the year".

So this just confirms my ranking system of the least worthwhile people in this world:

1. Used Car Salesmen
2. Real Estate Agents
3. Media
4. White Collar Criminals
5. Blue Collar Criminals

Everyones got their own opinion..we say Patriots > anyone...its fine let them choose. We shouldnt worry about what others said because when was last time we were favorites to win a SB before season started? We've made it, we prove people wrong. Its fine

Why not Phins over Pats? Let's see, the Phins have...
1. Better, proven playoff calibre QB
2. Better experienced NFL HC and staff
3. A strong, team oriented wining culture
4. Superior front lines on O and D
5. A history of finishing the regular season strong
6. Defeated the Patriots in their own house

Aside from the laughable contention that the Phins were in any way close to the Pats at the end of last season, with the fradulent winning streak, culminating in a sham near-defeat against the Pats third stringers, the worst thing about that article is that it claims that Joey Harrington is a better QB than Gus Frerotte. Frerotte has been at least a serviceable starter in the league, Harrington is an unmitigated disaster at QB.

Hello from drizzling Oregon...

I read "Education of a Coach" on the plane over... if you haven't done so, do.

The phrase "Bill Belichick better be careful" strikes me as the best tip-off of the article. He's never been anything but.

Saban is still casting around for what Belichick got through sheer luck, that is, a QB that will make him look great. He's also weak along both lines, and he also should understand that he's not in the middle of some guaranteed meteoric rise - something the media do not understand. Saban himself probably looks at this year's media expectations as an absolute minefield.

I actually like the surly little apple off the Belichick tree that is Nick Saban, and maybe the 'Phins are going to rock the world one day. But not today.

PFnV

mikey said:

I think they are banking on the fact taht the Pats aren't as good as last year (a fallacy) and the fact that Miami is better than last year (also a fallacy). Miami has Culpepper, but these guys forget that NE gets Rodney back. One thing is guaranteed, when the Pats win the division again this year, these writers will crawl back under their rocks and never admit they were wrong.

Never Happen

One hit to Daunte's knee and all their ***gy green and orange dreams go down the tubes. I think Harrington is a better QB then Ferrotte and was never able to shine on a horrible Detroit team but they have a rookie RB who's never been asked to play a full game in college, there's no way he'll be able to do it in the pros..and the rest of Miami's RBs are Juniors at Miami High School I believe.

Miami's offensive line still stinks even with Hudson Hawk trying to get it together.

My man and I will be in Miami for the Superbowl this year. He thinks it's to watch the Dolphins and someone. I'm not even sweating it cause I know I'll be there with my Brady jersey on watching BRADY on the field! :)

Last edited:
The funny thing is to me, people hold onto how the Dolphins ended the season.

Please tell me something. Tell me how playing when your eliminated, and playing while you still have a chance is the same thing. I mean hey, who did Miami even beat to end the season? Everyone holds onto their victory against the Chargers. The Chargers are the most overrated team in the NFL. In two season, they've been to the playoffs ONCE, getting knocked out. The Chargers were a 9-7 team last year. What a great team! *sarcasm*

My point is, what great teams did Miami even beat? They beat our backups, Oakland, SD Buffalo, NYJ, Ten. Wow...How impressive. They beat Oakland who had a losing record, SD with a 9-7 record, Buffalo with a losing record, NYJ with a losing record, and Tennesee with a, you guess it! Losing record.

So please, try to convince me why this team is so good to overtake the Pats? For gods sake, all year they competed with a team that is JV compared to whats on the field this year, and they still couldn't do it.

Tyler Faith said:
One hit to Daunte's knee and all their ***gy green and orange dreams go down the tubes. I think Harrington is a better QB then Ferrotte and was never able to shine on a horrible Detroit team but they have a rookie RB who's never been asked to play a full game in college, there's no way he'll be able to do it in the pros..and the rest of Miami's RBs are Juniors at Miami High School I believe.

Miami's offensive line still stinks even with Hudson Hawk trying to get it together.

My man and I will be in Miami for the Superbowl this year. He thinks it's to watch the Dolphins and someone. I'm not even sweating it cause I know I'll be there with my Brady jersey on watching BRADY on the field! :)

Wow, Tyler ... I am sure Brady will be ecstatic to learn that you are wearing his jersey. :D

(uhhh ... just don't tell Bridget about it)

It might come true

When pigs fly that is...actually I can definately see a case see the Dolphins take the division from the Pats. If Brady is knocked out for the season in the first game then *maybe* the Dolphins would have a shot. Otherwise? Fugedaboudit!

Now in a year or two with a healthy Culpepper (who is a pro-bowl level QB...at least when he has Moss to throw to)? Different story. Should be some titanic battles ahead with his protege before Coach B calls it quits. Tha'ts good! It's good to have a worthy opponent (see Bird/Magic etc).

mikey said:
Wow, Tyler ... I am sure Brady will be ecstatic to learn that you are wearing his jersey. :D

(uhhh ... just don't tell Bridget about it)

Bridget Schmidget! I'll wear more than Brady's jersey...if ya talk to him, tell him how to get in touch with me! lol

patpatriot said:
Now in a year or two with a healthy Culpepper (who is a pro-bowl level QB...at least when he has Moss to throw to)? Different story. Should be some titanic battles ahead with his protege before Coach B calls it quits. Tha'ts good! It's good to have a worthy opponent (see Bird/Magic etc).

The Dolphins are in a dream world if they think they can be contenders with anyone this year. You got Daunte and your problems are over? Sorry fellahs, you got ONE solid receiver in Chambers and a solid Tight End. A running back that hasn't gotten his NFL workload chops yet working with a still crappy offensive line. The superstars they have on defense are nearly in wheel chairs and while they may be excited about having two losing NFL coaches as new cordinators, even if those guys had the chops, it takes a few seasons to get into a rhythm with the players and get everyone to buy into the system.

I hate to see my man have another tearjerking season but I would really be surprised if the fins went anywhere close to 9-7 and the only reason I'll give them that much credit is because they have an easy schedule. Their toughest games of the year are two with us and one with the Steelers.

No doubt Miami will be PATs biggest challenge in the Division.

Miami's D:
another year in the system for many guys ...they should get better ... you
would think. But they lost their DC and got a new one and the Corner postion
has been made over. Instead of continuity, there will be a
learning curve as these new guys and coach work out the bumps.
Zach's heath problems would concern me. A rotator cuff injury isn't easy to
overcome at his age. How much more can they get out of Traylor?
Believe it or not Jason Taylor is 32. He was injured last year and I expect
as he ages he will see more injuries and won't be as effective as he once
was. Saban would like to play the 3-4 but he just doesn't have the Players
to do it right. I actually think Miami's D could be less effective this year
going against a PATs Offense that will be better than last year.

Miami's O
Another coaching change. How much will the playbook change with
new OC Mike Mularkey? Mularkey didn't do too well against Belichick
when he was with the Bills.
Belichick has played Culpepper before and had good success so I doubt
Culpeper will cause PATs a big problem. Miami has A good TE some good WRs
and One good RB. Their Oline has improved. They will score points.
PATs know this offense by now.
I don't see Miami's offense being much better than last year even with Culpepper.
But I don't see the PATs Defense being much better than at end of last year unless the
following things happen:
1 the LB unit without McGinest is an improvement over what it was with McGinest.
2 Rodney Harrison makes it back without being less than he was

But I don't think PATs D has to be much better than it was at the end of
the season to handle Miami's O and keep them to 21 points or less.

On the other hand Miami's D is going to struggle against the improved PATs
Offense ... is my guess. Prediction: PATs Offense will score more than
21 points in each Miami game next season.

mikey said:
No where in this article does the writer pick Miami to overtake the Pats. Read it carefully.

The title says "Saban, Dolphins Set Sights on Overtaking Pats". Nothing there...

The fourth paragraph starts with "Belichick had better be careful this coming season, or his New England Patriots will be overtaken in the AFC East by a club coached by one of his former pupils..." Nothing there but a big IF...

Where's the beef?

Tyler Faith said:
The Dolphins are in a dream world if they think they can be contenders with anyone this year. You got Daunte and your problems are over? Sorry fellahs, you got ONE solid receiver in Chambers and a solid Tight End. A running back that hasn't gotten his NFL workload chops yet working with a still crappy offensive line. The superstars they have on defense are nearly in wheel chairs and while they may be excited about having two losing NFL coaches as new cordinators, even if those guys had the chops, it takes a few seasons to get into a rhythm with the players and get everyone to buy into the system.

I hate to see my man have another tearjerking season but I would really be surprised if the fins went anywhere close to 9-7 and the only reason I'll give them that much credit is because they have an easy schedule. Their toughest games of the year are two with us and one with the Steelers.

I was thinking, if you really want to be enterprising you could set up a once-a-month Patsfans.com raffle. That would be an amusing offseason ritual. Kind of like "Rollergirl meets Flying Elvis...":)

BradyisGod said:
Get used to it b/c this is going to be the talk all year.

Of course, none of the writers actually say it's going to happen, but instead leave it open as "it could be the year".

So this just confirms my ranking system of the least worthwhile people in this world:

1. Used Car Salesmen
2. Real Estate Agents
3. Media
4. White Collar Criminals
5. Blue Collar Criminals

Agreed but politician has to be in the top 3 .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back