PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL ideas you would like to see

4 and 8 (in some form) work for me. No thanks on the rest.

You mean you LIKE the weekly FG that goes over the uprights and we need the 50 year old guy looking down a pipe 10-15 yards over his head looking to see if the ball 20 yards away in it's 0.1 seconds over the bar was in or out and ONLY he has the right angle?

That (raising the uprights) was #2 and you threw that out.

The upside of the latter idea is the elimination of the TD, commercial, XP, commercial sequence.

Ummm. That's not what happens.

It's TD, XP immediately after TD, then commercial, kickoff, commercial. So getting rid of the XP won't meaningfully change that at all.

10.) Totally eliminate all non-wrap up tackles below the thighs. If you want to deliver a big hit with your shoulder, it can't be to the knees or lower. That's it.

I like that one a lot.

Go back to the rules of the '70's.

Kill everyone that supports the idea of a franchise or a Super Bowl going to London!

1. 4-8-12 game IR stints, But no more than 2 per slot per season.
2. NHL style replay system with it being in NY and ref not involved in decision
3. PI being 15 yards and offensive PI being 10 yards and loss of down
4. All 53 roster spots available for game. No inactive lists

Crazy idea that is well crazy

1. Change the cap to NHL style cap where the Average annual value is the cap number. But of course NFLPA would have to get 100% guaranteed contracts with little to signing bonuses for it to work

You mean you LIKE the weekly FG that goes over the uprights and we need the 50 year old guy looking down a pipe 10-15 yards over his head looking to see if the ball 20 yards away in it's 0.1 seconds over the bar was in or out and ONLY he has the right angle?

That (raising the uprights) was #2 and you threw that out.

I mean there are better solutions than raising the uprights. The uprights interfere with ticket holders' viewing.

And, despite how you phrased it, controversial calls regarding this are fairly rare.

1 Punts require a 5 yard interfence buffer But MUST be fielded and if they are longer then 25 yards from the LOS it is a completely live ball.

2 I love the idea of IR stints

3. A spring time "minor" league for each team

Keep the schedule at 16 games and start the regular season the last weekend in September.

Keep the playoffs the same,

Jettison Goodell.

Replace preseason games with free in-stadium controlled scrimmages (make up revenues from parking and concessions).

Stop the nonsense in London.

Enact the strictest PED/steroid testing program in all of sports.

Legislate defense back into the game.

14) During reviews: The cheerleaders from each team, (un)dressed in lingerie, reenact the play in question on the field.

Now there's something 32 dirty old men can agree on.

Move the damn kickoff back to the 30 (I know it won't happen)

1. Pass Interference, two kinds: (a) Major - the greater of spot foul or 15 yards. (b) Minor - the lesser of spot foul or 15 yards. There's a big difference between slight interference (which still should be a penalty) and a mugging. No way a 40 yard penalty should occur on slight (but legit) PI that far downfield. But DBs should pay a stiffer penalty for crushing a guy on a 3-yard out pattern as well.
I've seen this suggestion before, to have 2 classes of Pass Interference. The things is, that would invite 10 times more controversy than the current system already has. Everyone would argue whether such-and-such should be minor or major.
4. Change replay on fumbles. The Sea-SF playoff game was exhibit A for why those rules are seriously messed up.
I agree they should change it, but the rule has been the way it is for years and only just now did the flaw actually come into play. So if someone gets screwed once every 5 years or so, that's not what I would call something "seriously messed up."

2) Extra points (some combination of the following)
- Option a) Run one play from the opponents 5 yard line: 1 point
- Option b) Run one play from the opponents 10 yard line: 2 points
- Option c) Field Goal from the 30 yard line: 1 point
- Option d) Field Goal from the 40 yard line: 2 points

I was thinking along these lines: One PAT try — not a kick — from the 20 gets 3 points.

Also on kickoffs, and this came up during the season: When a team that's scored upon gets a penalty on the scoring play, rather than assess the yards on the kick-off placement itself, the penalized team starts at the 10 if the kick results in a touchback.

Extend the uprights 5 feet. I can do it with PVC, a ladder, a plumb bob, and a can of yellow paint. I'll charge $25 per goal post.

With all the technology kicking around, they should actually be able to shorten the physical goal posts but lengthen them electronically for a field goal or PAT try.

Eliminate the practice squad, allow for 60 man teams... so 55 could dress, it would add depth and versatility.. as well as extend the shelf life of some vets.
We pay the practice squad players, so let them play...

Get rid of any game that goes past 7:00 PM... or takes place on a weekday.

Allow the coaching staff to schedule press conferences when they want to, not at a NFL mandated time.

Push the draft back to where it was, this May crap is stupid, and have it take place over a two day period.. to much drama.

I mean there are better solutions than raising the uprights. The uprights interfere with ticket holders' viewing.

And, despite how you phrased it, controversial calls regarding this are fairly rare.

WRONG! It happens every week. Usually in games like Browns vs. Jaguars but a few times a year it happens in games that matter.

Or is one game a week "fairly" rare and we need to discuss the language.:)

Do you want me to PM you every time it happens next year? :)

Oh and extending them 5 yards will soooo obstruct the views of people 20 yards away because they will be extremely thick.

I'm a TV guy. Let's hear from endzone ticket buyers. Have you ever had you view blocked by the existing uprights?

WRONG! It happens every week. Usually in games like Browns vs. Jaguars but a few times a year it happens in games that matter.

Or is one game a week "fairly" rare and we need to discuss the language.:)

Do you want me to PM you every time it happens next year? :)

Oh and extending them 5 yards will soooo obstruct the views of people 20 yards away because they will be extremely thick.

I'm a TV guy. Let's hear from endzone ticket buyers. Have you ever had you view blocked by the existing uprights?

It doesn't happen every week, and there are ways to deal with it that don't include lengthening the uprights.

Eliminate the practice squad, allow for 60 man teams... so 55 could dress, it would add depth and versatility.. as well as extend the shelf life of some vets.
We pay the practice squad players, so let them play...

Push the draft back to where it was, this May crap is stupid, and have it take place over a two day period.. to much drama.

Agree with these two points. Moving the draft back ridiculous, making it four days and only have first round on one day is annoying enough, but now we have to go a few more weeks without any football news? No thanks.

And the rosters do need to expand, too many talented guys don't make the rosters and you lose them, it punishes teams that do their drafting and signings correctly. But probably the major aspect is the health benefit. A lot more guys can rotate in and out of the games, less starters on special teams, etc, etc.

As far as what I want changed, move the extra point back 15-20 yards before considering abolishing it. Everything else seems okay for the time being.

Ditch the Pro Bowl

Instead televise a game in which the best college team faces the worst NFL team, straight up

Not only does the NFL provide a significant disincentive for teams to tank to gain the #1 pick, but they actually have something that might be worth watching (i.e. generating ratings/advertising and income for the owners)

Ditch the Pro Bowl

Instead televise a game in which the best college team faces the worst NFL team, straight up

Not only does the NFL provide a significant disincentive for teams to tank to gain the #1 pick, but they actually have something that might be worth watching (i.e. generating ratings/advertising and income for the owners)

That idea is worse than the Pro Bowl. The NFL players are going to react to it the same way as they were to the Pro-bowl, a meaningless game, and the injury risk would be greater because the college kids would be playing all out. Besides, the best team in college football would lose 63-0 at minimum to the worst team in the NFL and it wouldn't even be close.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back