PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL getting smarter about TD reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last offseason, the NFL changed the rules so that all scoring plays were automatically reviewed by the replay assistant, who then paged the referee and told him to halt the game and review the play if the ruling was close enough. This offseason, the NFL may change the rules again so that not only scoring plays but also plays in the end zone that aren’t ruled a touchdown or safety on the field get reviewed.

NFL may expand replay, automatically review all end zone plays | ProFootballTalk

That's still not enough, since it means that plays ruled short of the endzone (run from goal line stand, for example) won't be reviewed, but it would at least be an improvement over the current system.

NFL may expand replay, automatically review all end zone plays | ProFootballTalk

That's still not enough, since it means that plays ruled short of the endzone (run from goal line stand, for example) won't be reviewed, but it would at least be an improvement over the current system.

Wow, all end zone plays? Well, not perfect, but a start. The Evans play did merit a review IMO (It also would have held up).

On plays outside the end zone: I wonder if officials will become more likely now to err on the side of calling a close play a TD, since it then automatically gets reviewed.

It should be TDs or POSSBILE TDs

Wow, all end zone plays? Well, not perfect, but a start. The Evans play did merit a review IMO (It also would have held up).

On plays outside the end zone: I wonder if officials will become more likely now to err on the side of calling a close play a TD, since it then automatically gets reviewed.

I hope not, because of the presumption. I'd rather just see something like all plays with the ball ending up inside the 1 yard line being subject to the reviews the same way the endzone TDs are now, maybe with the addition that the team on offense has to make the request. That's not perfect, but it would cover a lot of the questionable calls, and it wouldn't flip the presumption.

Last edited:
Give coaches another review. Done and done.

Last edited:

The Evans play was reviewed by the replay booth since it occurred with less than 2 minutes to play. It just wasn't reviewed by the Ref..

Seems to me the auto replay of all TD's and booth replay authority gave plenty of coverage for crucial plays to be reviewed, while also leaving lots of room for coaches to make the call.

If they do this, it removes even more of the decision making for the coaches on how to spend challenges.

The Evans play was reviewed by the replay booth since it occurred with less than 2 minutes to play. It just wasn't reviewed by the Ref..

Fair enough. But I bet some in the media will still call this the Lee Evans Rule or Sterling Moore Rule. Inaccurate, like the "Brady Rule" crap, but that play is pretty fresh in people's mind when the change was announced.

POSSBILE TDs [sic]

And the determination of whether a given play meets the criteria of a "possible" TD shall be made by the on field officials, and shall itself be subject to review. ;)

Last edited:
On plays outside the end zone

Next goal line TD controversy, the rule will be amended to include reviews of plays ending on the 1. Then the 2. Then the 5.

Then it'll be "He horse collar tackled the guy on his own 45, otherwise the play would have gone the distance. It should be an automatic review!!!"

And the determination of whether a given play meets the criteria of a "possible" TD shall me made by the on field officials, and shall itself be subject to review. ;)
I'd like to see the review booth be able to call a review on all plays inside either 5yd line. These plays are usually critical and generally teams are operating slowly anyways so an occasional stoppage of play won't be a huge deal.

I guess it depends on how one trades off game delays versus officiating accuracy in terms of game enjoyment.

Personally, I think there are already too many stoppages/delays, and if anything, the league should be looking at ways to increase the pace during a game for a more enjoyable product.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Next goal line TD controversy, the rule will be amended to include reviews of plays ending on the 1. Then the 2. Then the 5.

Then it'll be "He horse collar tackled the guy on his own 45, otherwise the play would have gone the distance. It should be an automatic review!!!"

I'm one in favor of expanding the review, but there's got to be a cutoff. Inside the one should catch most of the legitimate issues.

Gronk and Hernandez both had touchdowns erased this season because BB didn't want to risk a challenge. If they were called TD's on the field and booth reviewed we'd have a 14-2 record.

If this rule lets the officials call more scoring plays and reverse as needed, I'm happy with it. I truly believe that the Gronk non-TD call lost us that game. We spent an extra 90-120 seconds attempting to punch the ball in after that and were forced to try an onside kick, which we subsequently sacked the hell out of Ben, and got the ball back, but deep within our territory. If that was a deep kick, and we managed that stop close to their endzone, we win, given how we were moving the ball late.

Last edited:
I'm all for expanding the scope of the automatic review, but I have to wonder if it could be facilitated or made less time-consuming if the NFL put in place what Belichick has been advocating for several years, namely consistent positioning of cameras along the goal line, end line, and end zone sidelines. They have "lipstick" cameras in bases in MLB, and in nets in the NHL, so it seems feasible to have them in locations surrounding the end zone.

I'm all for expanding the scope of the automatic review, but I have to wonder if it could be facilitated or made less time-consuming if the NFL put in place what Belichick has been advocating for several years, namely consistent positioning of cameras along the goal line, end line, and end zone sidelines. They have "lipstick" cameras in bases in MLB, and in nets in the NHL, so it seems feasible to have them in locations surrounding the end zone.
Put em in the sticks and pylons. It's amazing that with the millions have have in video equipment they can't spend the extra little bit to offer views that will give them the best perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye