PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL flip-flops, says Hobbs call was correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean flip flops? Axe Vic said the wrong call was made. The actual NFL said the right one was made. Big difference.
Isn't this the second time you and I are in agreement? I think we were in agreement on something last year, also. What is this world coming to?

Yes, we've had our share of "gifts" (the tuck rule for one),
Tuck rule was not a gift. It was a rule correctly interpreted by the refs in that game, same as it was interpreted in games before that one and after.

Raiders got the gift, as Brady dropped the ball after being whacked on teh side of the head. The correct call would have been personal foul, blow to the head, 15 yards, automatic first down.

Isn't this the second time you and I are in agreement? I think we were in agreement on something last year, also. What is this world coming to?

No idea. I just try to present some facts to this board. Difference between you and me? Im called a troll.

Tuck rule was not a gift. It was a rule correctly interpreted by the refs in that game, same as it was interpreted in games before that one and after.

Raiders got the gift, as Brady dropped the ball after being whacked on teh side of the head. The correct call would have been personal foul, blow to the head, 15 yards, automatic first down.

I wonder which blow to the head was stronger. The one delivered to Brady in that game that wasn't called or the love tap we got flagged for last weekend?

I believe PI should have been called on either Harper or David covering Caldwell.

Other than that... the Patriots should have won this game on the field. Couldn't run the ball, catch the ball, or defend the ball in the second half. The Patriots team blew the football game. Not the refs. Get over it and move on.

Sometimes I wonder if you even watch the games, Ryan. It was HAYDEN who was covering Caldwell and did everything short of murdering Caldwell.

Now, How about you STFU and move on. Fact is that the Pats got screwed on several calls that contributed to them losing the game. It wasn't the SOLE reason, but it sure as hell contributed. If you aren't man enough to admit that, then you are a lousy football fan and don't even deserve to be rooting for your team.

Right. And the Patriots had their share of gifts from the officials when you're dynasty was alive.

You're a joke, Ryan. Plain and simple. Any credibility you had went out the window with that garbage.

Antagonizing? Or making my point of view clear.

Just a fact.

*ROFLMAO* Everyone here knew your Peyton Manning ball-washing point of view the first time you posted.

Prior to your posting, Ryan, I didn't care one way or the other whether the Colts or Bears won or lost. But your posts makes it so I hope that Peyton CHOKES like he normally does in big games. Can't have him breaking the streak he started in college of Not winning in Championship games.

No idea. I just try to present some facts to this board. Difference between you and me? Im called a troll.

What Facts? You made a claim that the "dynasty" was over? That's not a FACT. That is an opinion. An unsupported one if you look at the FACTS. Like the Patriots went 14-5 this year even though they, again, had a ton of players injured. Like they still have one of the best HCs and best QBs in the league. Like they still have one of the best D-lines in the league.

THOSE are facts.

*ROFLMAO* Everyone here knew your Peyton Manning ball-washing point of view the first time you posted.

Prior to your posting, Ryan, I didn't care one way or the other whether the Colts or Bears won or lost. But your posts makes it so I hope that Peyton CHOKES like he normally does in big games. Can't have him breaking the streak he started in college of Not winning in Championship games.

Im glad what I have to say on a message board impacts who you root for in the SB.

Didn't mean to upset you or Boomer Sooner so much. Take a breath and enjoy the Super Bowl.

Im glad what I have to say on a message board impacts who you root for in the SB.

Didn't mean to upset you or Boomer Sooner so much. Take a breath and enjoy the Super Bowl.

I'll be at the movies.

We cannot expect the NFL to make a damaging admission that would cast doubts on one of the superbowl partcipants. Might turn off viewers.
Go Pats :rocker:

I won't be watching that farce. It will be worse than the Seahawks/Steelers SB last year.

That doesnt cut it, sorry. That is considered "incidental" contact and not justification for calling PI.

That's not correct. By rule, incidental contact occurs ONLY "when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball" (Rule 8, Section 2, Article 5.) In this case, Wayne was competing for the ball, but Hobbs was not, so the contact is not "incidental."

Like I said, the issue is whether Hobbs MUST initiate the contact to be pass interference or, because Hobbs was not playing the ball, contact initiated by Wayne in a bona fide effort to catch the ball constitutes interference by Hobbs.

You guy's shouldn't be suprised at all. Did you really think they would come out and say "Yeah, that guy ****ed up on that call!" They are just sticking up for their fellow officials. We all know that it wasn't pass interference and their is no such rule as "face guarding". What the **** was Phil Simms talking about? Face guarding? If there was a rule such as that, they might as well tell DB's to put their arms behind their backs when the ball is in the air. It sucks but we have to move on. There is always next year, the beauty of sports.

Last edited:
Anybody have any idea where I could find a link to a video clip of the Hobbs/Wayne PI play?

What do you mean flip flops? Axe Vic said the wrong call was made. The actual NFL said the right one was made. Big difference.

No, Ryan, ONE OF THE REPLAY OFFICIALS IN THE BOOTH said it was wrong. You're in the Bowl. Enjoy. But stooping doesn't become you.

That's not correct. By rule, incidental contact occurs ONLY "when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball" (Rule 8, Section 2, Article 5.) In this case, Wayne was competing for the ball, but Hobbs was not, so the contact is not "incidental."

Like I said, the issue is whether Hobbs MUST initiate the contact to be pass interference or, because Hobbs was not playing the ball, contact initiated by Wayne in a bona fide effort to catch the ball constitutes interference by Hobbs.

Good post. I've watched that play at LEAST 10 times since it happened and yes, IMO, there WAS contact made by Hobbs BEFORE the ball got there. Now, it wasn't much contact but there WAS contact. That, plus the fact that Hobbs was obviously not playing the ball made it an easy call for the official to make. I believe, had Hobbs turned his head to look for the ball, the call wouldn't have been made. But, it WAS made and thats the bottom line. Besides, there was a total of 30 points scored in the game AFTER that play so, its not like the pats had no chances after that.

The refs missed the PI on Caldwell in the endzone but, hey, they probably figured he wasn't gonna catch it anyway, lol. The roughing the passer call against Manning was the right call, at least, in the way its interpreted. You cannot hit the quarterback in the head, PERIOD. Freeney's been hit with that one a couple of times this year himself. Each team got some calls, each team got jobbed on a couple. In the end, IMO, neither team really benefitted from the officials more than the other. The Gaffney touchdown in the back of the endzone, for instance, was a judgement call by the refs that went the pats way.

However, I'm guessing Piolichek and company are more concerned with the way they got STEAMROLLED by the Colts in the second half, to the tune of 32 points and more than 300 yards in offense, and by the fact that they've now lost 3 in a row to the Colts, 2 of them at home. Just a hunch.

What puzzles me is, why did the Herald go ahead and print that story without ANY confirmation from the league itself? Why on earth would Vic Ketchman, of all people, be the one the NFL chose to report this story to? Vic, you see, has a long and festering hatred for the Colts that dates all the way back to his youth in Baltimore. He's accused the Colt's of anything and everything over the years and spends more time talking about them than he does about the team he FREAKIN WORKS for, the Jags. How he manages to keep his job is beyond me. He had an ALL Colts column on the jags website, just last week.:eek: and just recently published a column in which he says he believes that there is a conspiracy in the league to get Peyton in the Super-Bowl. The man is a nut-job, plain and simple. He would be the LAST person the league would relay that info too.

So, my question is, what business does ANY newspaper have publishing a rumor like that as fact? Why on earth would they do so without getting confirmation from THE LEAGUE ITSELF, instead of believing the ramblings of a long-time Colt's hater, written on the website of another NFL team? Thats the craziest part of all of this, IMO.

sheesh guys let it go. the Patriots lost the game. you've had a week to heal.

I don't care if the refs made a bad call or two. the fact is that NE was up 21-3 and couldn't hold it. they got the ball with 5-6 minutes left and couldn't run out the clock and then again with a lead and only 3:30 left and couldn't finish the game.

If NE "deserved" the win they would have put the game away. Instead they gave the ball back to Manning twice in the final 5 minutes. When you do that you're playing with fire.

Ryan, don't mind the rabble. Understand though that the purpose of this thread is to deal with the NFL bull****ting us about a crappy call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes