PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL eyes 17th game to grow revenue, shorten preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems.

"We are actually looking at that as one alternative," Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta, the same day that the league's owners voted unanimously to opt out of their labor deal with the players' union two years early. "We think that may have an impact on some of the things we would want to talk to the players about. It's on the table."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3405076

If anything, they should be shortening the season back to 14 games, or giving teams two bye weeks in the year. The players are getting their as$es kicked too much and most aren't making in through the season, which is leading to a degraded product when the backups are playing.

Just my $0.02.

Agree with blackglass.

I also don't understand the point of lengthening the regular season when we're already having trouble making many of the final games matter in the first place.

Personally if they are hellbent on having 20 games, I think a 16-4 breakdown is fine.

In my opinion, over the course of a 17 game season, where one game can make or break a season, even more so than in other pro sports, an 8-9 breakdown of home/away games is completely idiotic, even if it does alternate from one year to the next which it obviously would.

Plus, who do you play in the additional game? A randomly selected team? The corresponding finisher (ie 1st place, 2nd place) from an additional NFC division?

If they have to extend the schedule, which they don't have to IMO, then just go 18-2. At least then it would be a 9-9 breakdown, even and fair to all teams. But again, I am strongly in the keep it at 16-4 camp.

Note: I emphasized pro above because in college sports the schools themselves make their non-league schedule, and their league schedules are balanced most of the time (I believe the Big East has 8 teams so they play a 7-game schedule, but at least that is done out of necessity). So any comparison using college sports is irrelevant IMO.

This is stupid. Either they need four preseason games or they don't. I don't like the idea of a 17th regular-season game, because it would make for an unbalanced schedule -- some teams would have nine home games, some would have eight. It also would put more wear and tear on the players.

Goodell needs to go. Before you know it with this bozo we'll have a 20-game regular-season schedule with half of them played in Europe, Japan and Mexico.

Goodell needs to go. Before you know it with this bozo we'll have a 20-game regular-season schedule with half of them played in Europe, Japan and Mexico.

Hate to say it, but this is probably accurate.

Could have a 17 game schedule with 8 home 8 away 1 neutral site.

London, japan, mexico etc.

If the NFL is going to increase the number of games they play they need to increase roster size to account for added injuries

Might be off topic but Goodell has been a horrible so far and is the #1 reason spygate became the scandal it is today.

Mexico and Canada are fine, but I don't get trying to force the NFL down the throats of Asia and Europe. It's so far away, having a team at either place makes no sense. Plus, at least in Europe, they have already tried this with NFL Europa and it didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Besides, both continents have soccer and they love it. Can we just accept that American football isn't for everybody and move on?

Wekk,

Here's a better ideaL Play 2 pre-season games and 18 regular season games. Give every team 2 byes, and have them all at the same time. Play 6 games, then go to a bye week. Play 6 more games and go to a bye week. Play the last 6 games, then a bye before the playoffs start.

This way there are more games that count, and everyone starts each segment more rested and fresh. It gives teams a chance to catch a breather, and let small inhuries heal up. It also gives you a better profuct on the field as you aren't dragging so bad at the end of the season.

The NFL could use the bye weeks to promote all sorts of stuff and hype the heck out of the next segment of games, etc. Plus, it extends the season with all the accompanying chances for increased revenue, etc. Heck, they could do NFK cheerleading competitions, fan competitions, etc, in the breaks between 6-game segments, stuff like that.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents on the issue.

Also: NO OVERSEAS GAMES.

Wekk,

Here's a better ideaL Play 2 pre-season games and 18 regular season games. Give every team 2 byes, and have them all at the same time. Play 6 games, then go to a bye week. Play 6 more games and go to a bye week. Play the last 6 games, then a bye before the playoffs start.

This way there are more games that count, and everyone starts each segment more rested and fresh. It gives teams a chance to catch a breather, and let small inhuries heal up. It also gives you a better profuct on the field as you aren't dragging so bad at the end of the season.

The NFL could use the bye weeks to promote all sorts of stuff and hype the heck out of the next segment of games, etc. Plus, it extends the season with all the accompanying chances for increased revenue, etc. Heck, they could do NFK cheerleading competitions, fan competitions, etc, in the breaks between 6-game segments, stuff like that.

Let's go one step further. The last 6 weeks of the season are strictly divisional games. Alot more of the games will be important so teams won't be resting the last few weeks, and it will cut down on travel, giving more rest time so teams are fresher for the playoffs.

Then the football season could last from September through March, which is a solid 6 months. Less time off for the players is not good, so cut out some of these goofy minicamps.

Let's go one step further. The last 6 weeks of the season are strictly divisional games. Alot more of the games will be important so teams won't be resting the last few weeks, and it will cut down on travel, giving more rest time so teams are fresher for the playoffs.

Then the football season could last from September through March, which is a solid 6 months. Less time off for the players is not good, so cut out some of these goofy minicamps.

man. you could do that too. The first 6 games could be intra-conference (NFC/AFC) the next 6 inter-conference (afc/afc, nfc/nfc) and the last 6 the dicision games. Talk about hype. Every team in the division would be coming in equal against it's division opponents, and would have 3 road and 3 home games. Wow. That could make the last part of the regular season REALLY exciting. I like that idea :)

Last edited:
If anything, they should be shortening the season back to 14 games, or giving teams two bye weeks in the year. The players are getting their as$es kicked too much and most aren't making in through the season, which is leading to a degraded product when the backups are playing.

Just my $0.02.

Remove 2 pre-season games, 2 byes, and 1 neutral international site (Remember Canada and Mexico are International people.)

The only way the player's union will agree to play extra regular

season games is if the salaries are increased proportionally.

Worst idea ever!

seriously, what is so wrong with the current format? also would like to add to the current opinion -- no FOREIGN countries for regular season games

I like the idea of the 6 x 6 x 6 schedule.

As for foreign games, why don't they just rotate where the probowl is played? Maybe push the probowl back a few weeks so that the SB coaches can coach the two teams... which might cause a little more international interest.

Give the players and coaches on the winning team some SERIOUS prize (and maybe even some goofy international trophy) that will give them an actual incentive to win. Try to get the game televised in as many countries as possible so as to gin up interest in the NFL and bring in enough revenue to cover the high cost paid to the winning team.

That way, other countries get to see the best players in the NFL play a competive game in their country and it happens after the season is over so as not to impact the regular season and playoffs.

Let me be the first one to say it.....

20-0:rocker:

That's It!!!!!

Goodall is only doing this because the Patriots still are trying to get the 19-0 copyright.

I'll bet that the NFL will make sure they get the 20-0 copyright first.

Wekk,

No way the league goes with everyone having a bye at the same time. Need to keep pumping out the product every Sunday on TV.

But two byes might fly you add one more week of TV revenue without adding any games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes