PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL expected to give CBS marquee Thursday night games

I thought I'd like the Thursday Night games...I hate them now...players need time between these games or play just plain saucks.

I hate thursday night games as well

I'm probably alone in this, but I like Thursday games. I get to watch more football other than just the Patriots. Would be cool if they did one Saturday game too every week but that would be a problem for college football.

Over saturation, also "the poster" is right, players need the rest.

It never ceases to amaze me how many so-called football fans complain about us getting more football.

And for anyone whining about the quality of play, I have no doubt whatsoever that if I took a typical Thursday Night Football game and put it side-by-side with any typical Sunday or Monday game (and could somehow mask which teams were playing) then no one would be able to tell the difference.

Last year Thursday night had some fantastic games and it had some duds - just like any Sunday or Monday game.

maybe somebody will make a poll and see which side YOU fall on...

I don't mind the Thursday night games after Thanksgiving. I just find it weird watching a key week 3 game on a Thursday.

you should play your Thursday game after your bye week.

I thought I'd like the Thursday Night games...I hate them now...players need time between these games or play just plain saucks.

Unless the Pats are playing, or it's Thanksgiving night, I don't like the Thursday night games. It messes up my schedule and either I forget to watch, or the match-up is forgettable. Maybe with better match-ups I will like it better, but then I am bummed when either the Pats or no good match-ups are on on Sunday, because they have already been on on Thursday. Wish they would leave well enough alone.

Well, you know Thursday night games really stresses the NFL's vision of giving the players the best possible situation to recover from the previous week of playing and to deliver the best quality of football to "us' the viewers.

Granted, everyone has the same amount of time (plus or minus 3 hours of travel time), so BB would say it's fair. But, it does give a mini-bye week and it all depends on who you are playing during that time.

Of course, it's all about money and I'd really like to see it moved to Friday or Saturday. HS or College football be darnned.

I kind of liked a different team playing every Thursday. It's a good chance to focus on a team that i don't see as often

I'm probably alone in this, but I like Thursday games. I get to watch more football other than just the Patriots. Would be cool if they did one Saturday game too every week but that would be a problem for college football.

Federal law in fact prohibits the NFL from Saturday games until after the college season is over.

you should play your Thursday game after your bye week.

I have thought of this as well, thinking it would make the most sense. The problem with that is that to implement that idea then at least two teams would have to have a bye every week prior to a Thursday game. In order to administer that plan you would have to schedule teams to have a bye all season long, including week one and week 16.

If the owners get their way and extend the regular season, then perhaps this plan could be put into place. Compromise by having two bye weeks with 18 weeks of regular season games, with each team still having 16 regular season games. Now a club wouldn't be at a relative disadvantage by having a bye so early, since they would still have another bye later on - and a bye prior to a Thursday night game could still be achieved by the schedule makers.

Thursday night football really flies in the face of the league's so-called commitment to player health and safety. In addition, the quality of play clearly suffers because of the reduced time for preparation (both game planning and practice). Thursday night games (and night games in general) are a massive inconvenience for ticket holders.

The NFL says it cares about the players and the fans. And it's true - they care deeply. Unless there's money involved. Then it's a different story.

NFL expected to give CBS marquee Thursday night games | ProFootballTalk

So no more Cle vs MIA games every single Thursday night?

It makes sense that games on NFLN are not going to be as compelling as games on another network such as CBS. CBS is paying the NFL $250,000,000 for just eight games; they wouldn't spend that much if it was for eight bottom of the barrel games.

The NFLN is part of the NFL, so there is no payment - just profit from whatever advertising revenue is generated as well as the carriage fees it collects from service providers. It's a sound business decision for the NFL to let the other networks cherry pick the best games, and leave the leftovers for the NFLN - even though it often leaves us fans with duds on Thursday night.

No such thing as a bad football game.

I do have to admit I think it is funny how the NFL is screwing over their other broadcast partners with this. There are only so many marquee games per week, usually a very small number. This creates one less marquee game per week for ESPN and Fox (for the first half of the season). I wonder how Fox will feel when CBS grabs 49ers-Packers or how ESPN will feel when their week 3 MNF matchup is Jets-Browns?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back