PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL executives offer their take on the Patriots and the trade possibilities for Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Jimmy Garoppolo Trade Talk: NFL Execs Examine If Patriots Will Deal QB

Interesting article...most of it reflects what we've long been saying

The minimum ask for Jimmy G. should be a 1st rounder and a 4th. The goal should be even higher (2 1st rounders if there's a team desperate enough to make that deal). But of course, as one exec asks is it even worth trading someone who could potentially carry your franchise for another decade?

Last edited:
The minimum ask for Jimmy G. should be a 1st rounder and a 4th. The goal should be even higher (2 1st rounders if there's a team desperate enough to make that deal). But of course, as one exec asks is it even worth trading someone who could potentially carry your franchise for another decade?

Michael Lombardi made an interesting point: if the Pats are planning to trade him, they're going to just sit back and let the teams come to them. Also, he honestly thinks they can get two firsts for him.

[warning: Skip Bayless]

I prefer to use draft value points cause even though i don't believe in them 100% it is a much clearer mathematical indicator of value then just saying "1st" or "2 1st"

I have said before and will say again. 3000 draft value points is my starting spot. I would never go below that and likely would want more to feel comfortable making any deal... Really I'd be looking for 4000.

If a team does not want to pay it I will happily keep him. The last thing i want to do is trade him for less value then that and we let what turns out to be a 10+ year franchise QB go for horrible value.

BTW just for people who don't know here is a draft value chart

Draft Trade Chart | ProFootballTalk

3000 for instance is either the first overall pick (I would look to trade it for multiple first) or 3 #16 overall picks.

Assuming Cleveland get #1 or #2 That could make sense for a partner with potential sweeteners. A team from 3-10 is harder to work out but possible. In the mid rounds IDK who would be there but one of those teams could use a QB I am sure.

Here's an article written a little over a year ago aboutthe success of QBs drafted in the first round. The results aren't good. Success for quarterbacks picked in NFL Draft first round? Less than 50-50, even for highest picks

Here's an excerpt:

"To get an idea, we looked back at the 45 quarterbacks chosen in the first round over the previous 16 drafts - starting with the return of the Cleveland Browns in 1999.

17 of these quarterbacks (38 percent) have won a playoff game.
16 of the 45 (36 percent) have winning records as starters during the regular season.
The career passer ratings for only a half-dozen of these quarterbacks is high enough to be ranked in the top half of the league last year."

Garroppolo should be worth a couple of first rounders.

Michael Lombardi made an interesting point: if the Pats are planning to trade him, they're going to just sit back and let the teams come to them. Also, he honestly thinks they can get two firsts for him.

[warning: Skip Bayless]

According to the Belichick & Brady book, that was their strategy with the Bledsoe trade. Everyone and their mother knew the Pats were going to trade Drew but did not reach out to teams trying to move him. They sat back, took the calls and said "not good enough". BUF started out with a 2nd and BB told Tom Donohoe to f off. He even had Ralph Wilson call Kraft to tell BB he was being unreasonble. Obviously they held out for a 1st.

Im starting to see the wisdom of trading Brady at the end of 2017. You get a boat load of picks and keep a very capable Starting QB who has yet to reach his prime. Seems like a win on all sides except for Brady of course.

If Brady wins another ring this or next year, I think he will retire before he is traded. If he doesn't, he may be inclined to keep chasing another ring on another team but it'd be hard. I don't think he would want to move his whole young family.

Jimmy isn't going anywhere.

How do you know that? We have no idea if this guy is going to be a legitimate starter or he is a flash in the pan. People are so overrating his performance over 6 quarters. He was good, not great vs. Arizona and we have found out that the Dolphins' defense is awful.

If someone if willing to give a sweatheart deal for Garoppola, I am betting Belichick jumps at it.

I think Garoppolo right now is at an all time high trade value. I am not sure he will be even a good full time starter when teams develop a book on him (an added advantage of his injury is that we never had to see what he did when they did if the Pats are looking to trade him).

Belichick and his staff know far better than what we know about his capabilities. I don't think any of us can determine what kind of starter he will be based on the very limited sample size we have seen. Unless the coaching thinks this guy is going to be a top 10 QB, he is replaceable for the right trade.

How do you know that? We have no idea if this guy is going to be a legitimate starter or he is a flash in the pan. People are so overrating his performance over 6 quarters. He was good, not great vs. Arizona and we have found out that the Dolphins' defense is awful.

If someone if willing to give a sweatheart deal for Garoppola, I am betting Belichick jumps at it.

The playbook didn't have to be dialled down for him. He was able to run a complex offense very effectively. That's even more important than his physical skills, which are nothing to sneeze at. He's been in the system for a few years now, understands the playbook, and seems to have all of the intangibles that Bill looks for in a QB.

I'm willing to bet that Bill values that a lot more than you do.

The playbook didn't have to be dialled down for him. He was able to run a complex offense very effectively. That's even more important than his physical skills, which are nothing to sneeze at. He's been in the system for a few years now, understands the playbook, and seems to have all of the intangibles that Bill looks for in a QB.

I'm willing to bet that Bill values that a lot more than you do.

And when people get a handle on his capabilities, he could be awful.

People keep drooling over his performance during the Miami game, but ignore the fact that Miami played off the receivers and let them run their timing routes allowing Garoppolo to hit his first read most of the time in stride. They also forget that Miami was starting to figure him out a bit and his last few drives were not nearly as impressive.

There are still a lot of questions about Garoppolo that are huge question marks. What can he do when teams figure him out and start knocking his receivers off their timing routes and making him hold onto the ball more (that has been an issue for him where when he does hold onto the ball, he holds on way too long)? Is he durable enough to withstand the beating he is going to get? What will he do if the team is down and he has to carry the offense and the team?

We have no idea what this guy is. We have seen a lot of QBs who look great right off the bat and turn into scrubs (Matt Schaub, Josh Freeman, Colin Kaepernick, etc.). And we are going to judge Garoppolo after less than six quarters?

BB will determine if it is best for the franchise to trade or keep Jimmy, so I will talk to the hypothetical that he is in fact traded (which is what this thread is about, so if your comment is "hes not going anywhere" go post someplace else

if BB gets two firsts, he may or may not use them, but whatever he doesnt use will provide pats lower draft picks (whom Bill has been doing dang well with recently) for like the next 5 years...the value BB would get out of two 1st rounders would be insane

And when people get a handle on his capabilities, he could be awful.

People keep drooling over his performance during the Miami game, but ignore the fact that Miami played off the receivers and let them run their timing routes allowing Garoppolo to hit his first read most of the time in stride. They also forget that Miami was starting to figure him out a bit and his last few drives were not nearly as impressive.

There are still a lot of questions about Garoppolo that are huge question marks. What can he do when teams figure him out and start knocking his receivers off their timing routes and making him hold onto the ball more (that has been an issue for him where when he does hold onto the ball, he holds on way too long)? Is he durable enough to withstand the beating he is going to get? What will he do if the team is down and he has to carry the offense and the team?

We have no idea what this guy is. We have seen a lot of QBs who look great right off the bat and turn into scrubs (Matt Schaub, Josh Freeman, Colin Kaepernick, etc.). And we are going to judge Garoppolo after less than six quarters?

You're ignoring the most important thing. The coaching staff must have a lot of confidence in his ability to master a very complex offense, his football IQ, and his overall level of ability if they let him run the same offense that Brady has run for years.

Of course you can't be sure of how he'll perform several years from now, but if the team has confidence in him, there's a reason for that. People were calling for Brady to be traded back in 2001 after he had several full games under his belt, for the exact same reasons. I'm not saying Jimmy will be anything close to what Brady is, but to completely dismiss his ability and the intangibles he possesses is silly. By all accounts he's a hard worker, he has a high football IQ, and he has shown the composure of a veteran in the pocket.

Those QBs you mentioned ran very simple offenses and got by mostly on pure athletic ability in their first year. It's not a good comparison.

You're ignoring the most important thing. The coaching staff must have a lot of confidence in his ability to master a very complex offense, his football IQ, and his overall level of ability if they let him run the same offense that Brady has run for years.

JAG was not running the full playbook with the full responsibilities.

Yep

I know to bill everyone is tradable but I couldn't handle that.

Tom should be able to do whatever he wants

I'm one of the most avid Tommy LomBrady fans there is, but even I don't feel that he should get the choice to do whatever he wants. If the team thought it was the best to move him and keep Garoppolo, I would understand. I think the team needs to look forward not back.

two first rounders for jimmy?? bill won't be able to turn that down. especially if one is a top 10 pick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back