Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

DROY

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Jones can get a sack and another almost sack (on the TD) against Roos, then he's good enough to break the rookie sack record.

How many sacks is the rookie record?

I love thinking it will come down to all the Pats' rookies, but you have to consider the week 1 opponents... we had an inexperienced QB on a very meh team... so sorry to be the wet blanket. On the bright side I wouldn't believe Gronk and Hernandez were really going to be used as they are until about 5 games into their first season.

I love thinking it will come down to all the Pats' rookies, but you have to consider the week 1 opponents... we had an inexperienced QB on a very meh team... so sorry to be the wet blanket. On the bright side I wouldn't believe Gronk and Hernandez were really going to be used as they are until about 5 games into their first season.

Did you watch Jones get pressure and get two tackles for losses while being double teamed most of the game. Unless Locker was playing left tackle, I don't think it has anything to do with Locker. Also, on his strip sack, he broke free from his block immediately and hit Locker pretty quick. It wasn't because Locker held onto the ball too long. Brady would have probably been sacked in that same situation.

It is too early to make any predictions, but Jones was this dominant in the preseason. The Titans came into the game with the expressed purpose of double teaming Jones a lot. That says a lot.

Jones got another sack called back right?

Damn thats an impressive opening day.

I think Jones may be the early leader, but Claiborne has a chance if he gets the INTs, Kuechly plays the usual DROY position, Barron is an outside possibility, and Melvin Ingram hasn't even played yet.

Here's a post I wrote on this recently.

Last CB/DB to win DROY was Woodson. I view it as the type of thing where even if you have a great season as a safety/DB, you have to get lucky in not having a top line LB or DE in the mix for DROY as well.

RE: Mayoclinic's idea that David could get consideration on top of Kuechly - the DROY has been a top 40 pick going back well into the 90's. That tells me that even if David plays better than Kuechly, there is a publicity/expectation element that will play against him, and that he'll have to outplay Kuechly (and Jones, Hightower, Ingram, Coples...) by a significant margin.

fletcher cox looked good yesterday......derek wolfe looked good last night.....

the pats rookies looked great, but they're not alone

...even if you have a great season as a safety/DB, you have to get lucky in not having a top line LB or DE in the mix for DROY as well.

the DROY has been a top 40 pick going back well into the 90's.

Which is all a shame, really, because Tavon Wilson would be the most hilariously ironic ROY in league history. :)

Which is all a shame, really, because Tavon Wilson would be the most hilariously ironic ROY in league history. :)

Some people would still call him a massive reach if he had the most interceptions and won DROY :p

Jones had another almost-sack..... it was on Lockers TD pass to Washington. He was in Jones grasp when he threw it.

I think as Jones matures over the season he'll learn to disable the QBs throwing arm while taking him down, or get his arms up to bat the pass down instead of going for the sack.

Last edited:
Indeed. And scary as it seems he could be in the conversation. When somebody finally figures out exactly what he's doing, how he's doing it, and why he's doing it, it could go a long way to convincing voters.

Did you watch Jones get pressure and get two tackles for losses while being double teamed most of the game. Unless Locker was playing left tackle, I don't think it has anything to do with Locker. Also, on his strip sack, he broke free from his block immediately and hit Locker pretty quick. It wasn't because Locker held onto the ball too long. Brady would have probably been sacked in that same situation.

It is too early to make any predictions, but Jones was this dominant in the preseason. The Titans came into the game with the expressed purpose of double teaming Jones a lot. That says a lot.

That's all I'm saying.

And pardon me for putting this all on Locker, without considering the vaunted Tennessee offensive line :) That changes everything.

PFnV

didn't McCourty finish 2nd in DROY voting? Mayo got DROY, seems like we've been drafting pretty well, which runs counter to what many claim on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back