Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL Draft Scout's Top 64 -- Seniors & Juniors

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Seneschal2, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obviously, these are early rankings lists. But they're still a valuable resource now, especially as we continue with the needs analysis threads:

Top 2009 Prospects

Top 2010 Prospects

Sample:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

OK.....so here goes my list of preferred players by position (somewhat taking into consideration where the pats are drafting)

QB - none right now
    RB - rashad jennings and devin moore(special-teamer/all-purpose offensive player)
    WR - demetrius byrd
    TE - jermaine gresham
    OT - jason smith
    OG - greg isdaner
    C - jonathan luigs

NT - BJ raji
    DE - clinton mcdonald
    OLB - connor barwin
    ILB - brandon spikes
    SS - myron rolle or justin woodall
    FS - curtis taylor
    CB - asher allen
  3. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Jesus, that is the most random list of players I have ever seen, I like it.
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

This is one of the things you do really well, Tanked. Provide a list of potential players. You do a lot of research on them and can usually explain why you believe they will fit into the Pats scheme.
  5. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That Clinton McDonald guy sure sounds familiar.:p

Hey Tanked, is the TE Gresham you mention, a good blocker?
    I think that's what we need. Another Grahambo.
  6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I've seen some of gresham in the passing game, but haven't noticed his blocking abilities......I figure with his size and athleticism that he can at least get in the way although I don't think he can grind 'em down ala graham.....
  7. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

thanks ........... I try to spread em out as what may be available at various rounds in the draft.....lots of speculation because of many juniors......

my preference?
    round 1 / 1st pick in round 2: spikes and smith or gresham
    2nd round 2: SS rolle or woodall
    3rd round: RB jennings or moore
    3rd round comp: taylor
    4th round: luigs
    5th round: barwin
    5th comp: mcdonald
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the obvious would be to just pick the best perceived player at each position.......

on that list, my favs are smith, jennings and spikes
  9. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the idea with luigs is to turn him into an OG.........at 315 and able to run a sub 5.00/40, he be able to get out there and punish on the screens
  10. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

Connor Barwin's interesting...very athletic, plays special teams, good size. Leader on Cincy's defense.
  11. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

You appear to be the only person to me who likes the idea of Spikes as a Patriot. What do you like about his game and how would he fit into the Pats system. Is he a definite upgrade over Guyton? I'm assuming that Mayo locks down the other ILB spot.

Who do you think is the best passrusher in the draft?
  12. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Guyton is currently the nickelbacker, which was Roman Phifer's old passing down role. He's doing more blitzing and is someone BB believes can play ILB or OLB. I suspect he needs to get stronger and bulk up a bit more in the offseason, but you have to love his progress. So where would that put a Brandon Spikes? From what I've read, Spikes is decent in coverage and is quite good against the run, in other words he's got the basic skills and size to fit inside for NE. That would give the Pats the three man rotation at ILB they like, with some ILB/OLB versatility in the mix.

NE currently has Mayo and Guyton who have carved out roles for themselves this season. Looking at the developmental prospects on the roster:

Woods - The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly
    Crable - based on Pierre Woods development, I think Crable is a very promising OLB prospect. We'll need to see how well he bulks up for 2009.
    Redd - I love reading that he's won a practice player of the week jersey three times this season, that's how a UDFA makes a team. His biggest weakness in preseason games was lack of coverage skills and a need to be more explosive at the snap. He may never be a Dwight Freeney, but he could be a Willie MacGinest with hard work.
    Ruud - IR'd in preseason, he'll have a year of Woicik, Nash, & Davis to get stronger and more explosive, his football pedigree is pretty solid, I'll be interested to see what he looks like next Training Camp.
    Robertson - newly signed to the Practice Squad, he was one of the players I liked for OLB in the 2008 draft. He needs to get stronger, but with Guyton to help mentor him on the formula for success in NE I like this addition to the LB pool.

I've downgraded drafting an OLB in this draft based on the potential already on the roster. I like someone like OLB/TE Connor Barwin in the mid-rounds to add to the mix, but ILB looks to be the greater "need" as we anticipate Bruschi's retirement.

EDIT: Darn, I just noticed Barwin has jumped to #42 on NFLDraftScout's top 64.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.