PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Draft Scout's Top 64 -- Seniors & Juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Obviously, these are early rankings lists. But they're still a valuable resource now, especially as we continue with the needs analysis threads:

Top 2009 Prospects

Top 2010 Prospects

Sample:

Clint Sintim, Virginia, OLB, 6-3 254

2007: 13 GP; 13 GS; 44 Sol-78 TT, 9 TFL, 9 SK, 3 QBH, 2 FF; Third-year starter at outside linebacker ... started the last 37 games, ... the longest active streak on the team ... third on the team in tackling with a career-high 77 tackles ... 28th in the ACC in tackling with an average of 5.9 tpg. ... led the nation in sacks by a linebacker with an average of 0.69/g ... fourth in the ACC in sacks and tops among linebackers .. his nine sacks are fourth most in a season by a UVa linebacker ... second on the team behind Chris Long with 17 quarterback pressures ... shared the team lead with two forced fumbles ... made at least eight tackles on five occasions ... named the coaches' defensive player of the week four times ... 2006: 12 GP; 12 GS; 22 Sol-45 TT, 10 TFL, 4 SK, 2 QBH, 1 FR, 1 FF; Started all 12 games at outside linebacker for the second year in a row...

Last edited:
OK.....so here goes my list of preferred players by position (somewhat taking into consideration where the pats are drafting)

QB - none right now
RB - rashad jennings and devin moore(special-teamer/all-purpose offensive player)
WR - demetrius byrd
TE - jermaine gresham
OT - jason smith
OG - greg isdaner
C - jonathan luigs

NT - BJ raji
DE - clinton mcdonald
OLB - connor barwin
ILB - brandon spikes
SS - myron rolle or justin woodall
FS - curtis taylor
CB - asher allen

OK.....so here goes my list of preferred players by position (somewhat taking into consideration where the pats are drafting)

QB - none right now
RB - rashad jennings and devin moore(special-teamer/all-purpose offensive player)
WR - demetrius byrd
TE - jermaine gresham
OT - jason smith
OG - greg isdaner
C - jonathan luigs

NT - BJ raji
DE - clinton mcdonald
OLB - connor barwin
ILB - brandon spikes
FS - curtis taylor
CB - asher allen

Jesus, that is the most random list of players I have ever seen, I like it.

QB - none right now
WR - demetrius byrd
TE - jermaine gresham
OT - jason smith
OG - greg isdaner
C - jonathan luigs

NT - BJ raji
DE - clinton mcdonald
OLB - connor barwin
ILB - brandon spikes
FS - curtis taylor
CB - asher allen

This is one of the things you do really well, Tanked. Provide a list of potential players. You do a lot of research on them and can usually explain why you believe they will fit into the Pats scheme.

That Clinton McDonald guy sure sounds familiar.:p

Hey Tanked, is the TE Gresham you mention, a good blocker?
I think that's what we need. Another Grahambo.

I've seen some of gresham in the passing game, but haven't noticed his blocking abilities......I figure with his size and athleticism that he can at least get in the way although I don't think he can grind 'em down ala graham.....

This is one of the things you do really well, Tanked. Provide a list of potential players. You do a lot of research on them and can usually explain why you believe they will fit into the Pats scheme.

thanks ........... I try to spread em out as what may be available at various rounds in the draft.....lots of speculation because of many juniors......

my preference?
round 1 / 1st pick in round 2: spikes and smith or gresham
2nd round 2: SS rolle or woodall
3rd round: RB jennings or moore
3rd round comp: taylor
4th round: luigs
5th round: barwin
5th comp: mcdonald

Jesus, that is the most random list of players I have ever seen, I like it.

the obvious would be to just pick the best perceived player at each position.......

on that list, my favs are smith, jennings and spikes

the idea with luigs is to turn him into an OG.........at 315 and able to run a sub 5.00/40, he be able to get out there and punish on the screens

Connor Barwin's interesting...very athletic, plays special teams, good size. Leader on Cincy's defense.

the obvious would be to just pick the best perceived player at each position.......

on that list, my favs are smith, jennings and spikes

You appear to be the only person to me who likes the idea of Spikes as a Patriot. What do you like about his game and how would he fit into the Pats system. Is he a definite upgrade over Guyton? I'm assuming that Mayo locks down the other ILB spot.

Who do you think is the best passrusher in the draft?

You appear to be the only person to me who likes the idea of Spikes as a Patriot. What do you like about his game and how would he fit into the Pats system. Is he a definite upgrade over Guyton? I'm assuming that Mayo locks down the other ILB spot.

Who do you think is the best passrusher in the draft?
Guyton is currently the nickelbacker, which was Roman Phifer's old passing down role. He's doing more blitzing and is someone BB believes can play ILB or OLB. I suspect he needs to get stronger and bulk up a bit more in the offseason, but you have to love his progress. So where would that put a Brandon Spikes? From what I've read, Spikes is decent in coverage and is quite good against the run, in other words he's got the basic skills and size to fit inside for NE. That would give the Pats the three man rotation at ILB they like, with some ILB/OLB versatility in the mix.

NE currently has Mayo and Guyton who have carved out roles for themselves this season. Looking at the developmental prospects on the roster:

Woods - The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly
A source close to the Patriots tells us that the team is better equipped to handle the likely season-ending loss of OLB Adalius Thomas than initially believed. OLB Pierre Woods, a third-year career backup who was once thought to be nothing more than a situational pass rusher, proved against the Jets that he can stand up surprisingly effectively against the run. Also, his liability in coverage is somewhat mitigated by versatile LB Gary Guyton, an undrafted rookie revelation who can play both inside and outside.
Crable - based on Pierre Woods development, I think Crable is a very promising OLB prospect. We'll need to see how well he bulks up for 2009.
Redd - I love reading that he's won a practice player of the week jersey three times this season, that's how a UDFA makes a team. His biggest weakness in preseason games was lack of coverage skills and a need to be more explosive at the snap. He may never be a Dwight Freeney, but he could be a Willie MacGinest with hard work.
Ruud - IR'd in preseason, he'll have a year of Woicik, Nash, & Davis to get stronger and more explosive, his football pedigree is pretty solid, I'll be interested to see what he looks like next Training Camp.
Robertson - newly signed to the Practice Squad, he was one of the players I liked for OLB in the 2008 draft. He needs to get stronger, but with Guyton to help mentor him on the formula for success in NE I like this addition to the LB pool.

I've downgraded drafting an OLB in this draft based on the potential already on the roster. I like someone like OLB/TE Connor Barwin in the mid-rounds to add to the mix, but ILB looks to be the greater "need" as we anticipate Bruschi's retirement.

EDIT: Darn, I just noticed Barwin has jumped to #42 on NFLDraftScout's top 64.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back