PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Draft & Playoffs . . a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yehoodi

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

We know we are all dissappointed with the Pats missing the playoffs with the best record to do so since the merger. . .

I for one am content with the playoff structure . . . but this is not another change the playoff structure thread . . .

It has more do to with the injustice of the following year's draft . . . The draft order does not take into account the playoffs other than the SB winner and loser who pick last and second to last respectively.

If we are going to "award" teams for winning thier division and fill the playoffs with teams that might not have the best record, then should not the 12 playoff teams pick in the bottom 12 slots as opposed to the just the bottom two?

If you are granted the privilege of being one of the top 12 seeds for that given year (and thus be given a ticket to the playoffs) then why shouldn't that theory carry over in next years draft and you are one of the last 12 to pick???

Any thoughts

I for one am for placing ALL 12 playoffs teams at the bottom of the draft order . . .

The draft is sorted by a league-wide measure of success.

The playoffs are sorted by a division-wide measure of success.

Therefore, draft position and playoff spots will always be incongruent. I think I'd like to see the two brought a little more in line, but the current situation is not horrible.

I agree that the 12 playoff teams should pick at the bottom. If they are not awarding playoff spots strictly by record, then draft selection should not be strictly by record, either.

With the way this year wound up with 3 or 4 such playoff teams picking ahead of non-playoff teams I would be suprised if this isn't changed....unfortunately it wont matter for this draft.

The draft is sorted by a league-wide measure of success.

The playoffs are sorted by a division-wide measure of success.

Therefore, draft position and playoff spots will always be incongruent. I think I'd like to see the two brought a little more in line, but the current situation is not horrible.

yes and there in lies the problem they should be consistant . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes