PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Deal with refs is done!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see the ownership in every NFL city take out a full page ad in the Sunday AM edition of their primary news paper extending an apology to the fans. I just kind of feel like they toyed with my emotions and while I will always be a Pats fan, I can't get over the bitter taste this leaves.

They weren't the ones toying with your emotions. That would be a football media more interested in fueling the flames and creating controversey where little need exist. Had they reported positions on the actual significant issues and explained the cause and effect of each fans probably would have manned up and told the principles including players and coaches to deal with it quit their bellyaching. The league wanted to inject accountability into the equation and move to a performance based model for the refs as well and now they can. The gained the right to transition to full time officiating and to create a pool of developmental officials from which they can draw when they need to replace an underperforming official. Who will remain basically suspended with pay until he improves his performance level or gets terminated with cause at the end of a season. Couldn't do that before because they had no one to replace him with but a college hire. Yet the media continued to portray the good and evil conflict as one between greedy billionaire owners and a control freak commissioner and the poor, underappreciated existing officials who wanted nothing more than a fair shake financially and the integrity of the game at heart. Same guys fans and a media increasingly driven to entertain rather than inform have been universally shreiking for the cheapo owners to replace with full timers held accountable for their decisions for the last 5-6 years.

It's the same deal as with the players, only because of fantasy and impact, when league penalizes players and holds them accountable these days everyone shrieks that it is ruining their game... Now the battle cry will change as the league is able to transition to full time accountable officiating that the fix is in and the league is impacting outcomes, just like in the NBA...you just wait. Today's sports media lives to prove the adage that owners are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Because that is a story line that sells easily to a demographic that believes in it's heart it could do a better job running a franchise than one of these trust fund bozos who all inherited their shots.

You know why hockey is locked out again? Because they didn't get it right the last time. And what's the hue and cry in the media this time? How could owners not do whatever it takes to avoid another work stoppage. And you know why baseball is a steroids fueled joke and the NBA is an increasingly unpalatable run by the inmates debaucle? Because league owners are scared to even attempt to fix what ails them for fear the media will turn all the fan bozos against them with a vengance.

The NFL owners are accustomed, as individuals and a group, to getting their way. For the first time, to some degree, they got taken to the woodshed, rather than vice versa.

Last edited:
Once again only in the court of public opinion as adjudicated by the media. They by and large got the deal they wanted. Had to phase out the pension albeit over a short defined term (cost certainty) but they got control over an employee group including the ability to bench underperformers and have a replacement training in the wings and transition to full time at their discretion. Not to mention they got an unprecedented 8 year deal. Unprecedented deals seem to be their new normal.

I'd love to see a coach (I don't care who) hug a referee sunday. That would be priceless haha.

So now it's time to get back to complaining about the regular refs.

So now it's time to get back to complaining about the regular refs.

Believe me, I'm on it

Enough ballwashing of the regulars who deemed Ellis Hobbs III face guarding

Last edited:
Good overall wrap up piece on why it took so long from Judy Battista. Seems the hawks were dug in on both sides and the moderates didn't step in until Sunday and Monday started to really bother them. Kraft was one of those so perhaps his own Sunday lit a fire under him. Turns out Woody was liking the replacements... And as usual Goodell was really the arbitrator particularly amongst his own ownership. Not quite the slam dunk for ownership the players deal was, but a clear win because the pension goes away in 5 on a deal that extends thru 8 and the got the taxi squad and the ability to utilize it at their discretion as well as the move to full time at their discretion. It's all about long range cost certainty and control with this ownership group.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/s...are&adxnnlx=1348851904-uUs9qs3JYlxdJrMXsAUFuw

Good overall wrap up piece on why it took so long from Judy Battista. Seems the hawks were dug in on both sides and the moderates didn't step in until Sunday and Monday started to really bother them. Kraft was one of those so perhaps his own Sunday lit a fire under him. Turns out Woody was liking the replacements... And as usual Goodell was really the arbitrator particularly amongst his own ownership. Not quite the slam dunk for ownership the players deal was, but a clear win because the pension goes away in 5 on a deal that extends thru 8 and the got the taxi squad and the ability to utilize it at their discretion as well as the move to full time at their discretion. It's all about long range cost certainty and control with this ownership group.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/s...are&adxnnlx=1348851904-uUs9qs3JYlxdJrMXsAUFuw

"the Seattle Seahawks won a game on national television they should not have"

Mo, you need to write Judy and correct her error.

Ball busting aside, great article. Interesting behind the scenes.

The owners got all the changes they wanted at the cost of running the existing pension a few more years. Cheap price to pay for the $10+ billion a year industry.

Last edited:
And one of Rodgers or Brees are out of excuses.

You don't know either of these guys or their motivations. I find you way more suspect with your personal opinion and putting words in peoples mouths to create a negative persona , then 2 guys that are friends and respected by the players. You might think a lot of things, but the truth is players respect Brees and Rogers and want them to speak out, and respect them for doing so.
But you only see excuses, and Im pretty positive you will never see anything else. But it doesn't matter, lol. Not like our post or yours means anything.
I think the difference between you and most is simple. Im trying to get in their head to find a answer, and your trying to dictate your personal feelings and give your answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye