NFL Coundown's draft review of PATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisa

Rookie
Reaction score
May 29, 2006
New England Patriots '06 Draft Review
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright
President, NFL Draft Countdown

When it comes to the Patriots most recent draft class it's probably best to take a wait and see appraoch because while many of the prospects they chose won't provide much in 2006 they could very well provide the basis for future playoff runs. Overall it looks like the team once again brought in not only talented players but also guys who fit in with what they try to do both on as well as off the field, a factor than can never be underestimated.

In the first round the Patriots selected Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney, who maybe doesn't address an immediate glaring need but could pay huge dividends in the long run. A big play threat who can take it the distance from anywhere on the field, Maroney was extremely productive throughout his college career and would have been the Broncos pick at #15 overall had they not traded up for Jay Cutler. As a rookie Maroney will probably be limited to a backup role but Corey Dillon won't be around much longer which means the starting job could be his sooner rather than later. In round two the Pats were aggressive and traded up to get Florida wide receiver Chad Jackson, who they almost took in round one. A great athlete with an ideal blend of size and speed, it was a mild surprise that he fell as far as he did. With David Givens and Andre' Davis leaving as free agents and Troy Brown nearing the end of his career it's possible that Jackson could be the #2 or #3 wideout in New England very early on in his career. In round three the Patriots chose Texas tight end David Thomas, who doesn't have ideal measurables but was very productive and Vince Young's favorite target with the Longhorns. At first glance tight end wouldn't seem to be a need, even with Christian Fauria leaving since they still have Ben Watson and Daniel Graham, but Graham will be a free agent soon and the team might be preparing for the future. Thomas won't be anything more than third on the depth chart as a rookie but with the Pats frequent use of two tight end sets and Graham's potential departure he could play a big role as soon as 2007.

In round four New England had a couple of selections and took a couple of risks. First came Garrett Mills of Tulsa, who is a bit of a 'tweener and could play either fullback or tight end at the next level. With the Pats look for the versatile Mills to make a position switch and play in the backfield where, if he can successfully make the transition, could possibly push Patrick Pass for the starting job at some point down the line. Next came Memphis kicker Stephen Goskowski, who went much earlier than anyone expected. With Adam Vinatieri leaving as a free agent there is certainly an opportunity for a consistent kicker like Gostkowski to make an immediate impact but after relying so heavily on one of the best ever and a future Hall of Famer it might be tough to live with the ups and downs of a rookie. In round five New England may have gotten a steal in California offensive tackle Ryan O'Callaghan, who only fell as far as he did due to some injury concerns. O'Callaghan is a classic mauler at right tackle and with only Brandon Gorin as the starter there I would not be at all surprised if he was able to make a major push for the starting job as a rookie. This could be another classic case of the Patriots finding starting offensive lineman beyond the early rounds.

In round six the Patriots had three selections and brought in some interesting prospects. First came Jeremy Mincey of Florida, who played defensive end in college but will likely move to outside linebacker in the Pats 3-4 scheme. A great natural pass rusher with an excellent motor, Mincey will provide depth and with Willie McGinest now gone could even push Tully Banta-Cain for a starting job. Next the Patriots brought in Notre Dame offensive guard Dan Stevenson, who no doubt came with a recommendation from Charlie Weis. With Logan Mankins and Steven Neal firmly entrenched as the starters inside look for Stevenson to add quality depth. With their next pick the Patriots selected Nebraska defensive tackle Le Kevin Smith, a run stuffer who could push for the backup nose tackle job behind Vince Wilfork. With their final pick in round seven New England brought in versatile defensive back Willie Andrews of Baylor, who could play safety or corner while also helping out in the return game as well.

Over the years Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick have done an outstanding job on Draft Day and their track record is really second to none. The Pats made some picks that I really like in Maroney, Jackson and O'Callaghan while others that I felt left something to be desired but even with those that went against the grain you can see the reasoning and purpose behind them. This class might not reap immediate rewards for the franchise but come 2007 and 2008 we could look back and say it was one of the best out there in terms of long-term impact.

GRADE: B+

© 2006. All rights are reserved. Disclaimer | Media Inquiries | Advertise
This site is in no way affiliated with the National Football League (NFL) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). All logos and images contained within this site are the property of their respective teams and should not be used without consent. This website is an unofficial and independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team."

I would have thought at least an A-...but??? I wonder if he is a hard marker??
Hard to really tell unless you see what he said about other teams...

Arizona Cardinals - Grade: A Review
Atlanta Falcons - Grade: B Review
Baltimore Ravens - Grade: B- Review
Buffalo Bills - Grade: C Review
Carolina Panthers - Grade: B Review
Chicago Bears - Grade: B- Review
Cincinnati Bengals - Grade: C Review
Cleveland Browns - Grade: B Review
Dallas Cowboys - Grade: B- Review
Denver Broncos - Grade: B+ Review
Detroit Lions - Grade: B+ Review
Green Bay Packers - Grade: B+ Review
Houston Texans - Grade: A Review
Indianapolis Colts - Grade: C Review
Jacksonville Jaguars - Grade: B- Review
Kansas City Chiefs - Grade: C- Review
Miami Dolphins - Grade: B Review
Minnesota Vikings - Grade: D Review
New England Patriots - Grade: B+ Review

I love the Vikings review. He really tears into them for pretty well every pick except Greenway (Tarvarius Jackson?). I think it's a pretty solid grade, and the reason he probably did not rank us higher has to do with the fact that we did not address our 'LB issue' in an earlier round. But looking at the other reviews, it sounds like he doesn't consider FA rookies. And I think Freddie Roach is going to stick with the team and play some kind of role in '07.

The only glaring error I saw in this report is when he states that O'Callaghan's only competition for the RT starting job is Gorin. I think Kazcur would have something to say about that.

I think he's pretty much paraphrased what's been said in greater detail on this board...

The only odd thing to me is that from top to bottom, he pretty much suggests that most, if not all of our draft picks, all have such significant upside that they all could challenge for a starting position sooner or later.

... and that's only worth a B+?

JoeSixPat said:
... and that's only worth a B+?

I think the 4th round costs us the A grade.

Compliments to the author. A global overview ... with most of the individual elements correct ...
and an intelligent "top-level" understanding of the team's philosophy.

I've bought into the idea that you cannot accurately grade a draft until a couple years afterwards.
Nevertheless, none of us can escape snap judgments. All i can say is that this draft left me
with a grin on my face
that no other Patriots draft has done.

I strongly agree. Every pick made sense (after we caught up on our reading), every one, even our 1st pick in Round 8.

flutie2phelan said:
Compliments to the author. A global overview ... with most of the individual elements correct ...
and an intelligent "top-level" understanding of the team's philosophy.

I've bought into the idea that you cannot accurately grade a draft until a couple years afterwards.
Nevertheless, none of us can escape snap judgments. All i can say is that this draft left me
with a grin on my face
that no other Patriots draft has done.

I appaud Wright for having the courage to pan another awful Indianapolis draft. When you draft a cb in rd 1 (MArlin JAckson) and the next year you announce you're moving him to safety, not because of injury, but because he got beat out by a less heralded player, that means you just blew your first rd pick. Funny how nobody mentions this. I wish someone would question these supposedly great Cleveland drafts. I have been rooting for Romeo, and frankly I cringe at some of these picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back