PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Considering Eliminating Thursday Night Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have reports saying the NFL is considering eliminating TNF, and the league denying it.

Personally I doubt TNF would be eliminated. The NFL has such a [ object thrown onto the field at BUF ] about getting more revenue. The arguments being made by John Madden and others that TNF is one prime-time game too many and the player's concerns about the short week / long week it creates will almost certainly be swept away. The arguments against it make sense, but the NFL isn't about being sensible, they're about squeezing the last penny from the dollar. Also, if they cut back TNF they'd have to admit that they've reached saturation point. Goofdell isn't about to prove Mark Cuban's point.

Of course, I hope to be proven wrong. There have been very few TNF games worth watching, and I am concerned about the wear and tear on the players bodies adjusting to the awkward schedule.

I really wonder who Florio's source is? This is quite a scoop. It's very interesting to see him break it, given that NBC owns his web site and broadcasts TNF games. He's really hanging some onions! I have to imagine NBC isn't happy with this story.

The NFL has such a [ object thrown onto the field at BUF ] about getting more revenue.

The NFL has such a novelty grinning bildo about getting more revenue?

Here is how the NFL should do Thursday night football

#1 Opening year Thursday game is fine
#2 Having it only for teams who are coming off a bye week

So you have it week 1. Then it comes back for weeks 5-14 and not every team gets one which is fine. If you want every team to get one have a few double header Thursday night games when you have 4 teams coming off a bye. Why is that so hard?

Not only will this make it safe but also it will make the games better. Also if it is not every week it makes it a little more special when they do it.

As a fan, I like football more days of the week, but not at the cost of actual human health.
I'd rather an extra game to be watched on Red Zone than watch the dogshit product that is TNF. I honestly can't recall a Thursday night game ever being competitive or cleanly played.

I'm not sure how scheduling logistics would work and I'm sure certain teams would b*tch about this but what if TNF games only included teams that were previously on a bye? This would obviously eliminate having TNF games weeks 2-4 and some teams wouldn't have a TNF during the year, but this way the teams are well rested and have 11 days to prepare and then don't have another game until 10 days later. You would sacrifice a few extra days on your bye week but you would gain a few days of rest for a second game and not have to play 2 games in 5 days. Probably would never happen but just a thought of mine.

I can see it now. If you want to eliminate the Commissioner's hammer called Article 46 then Thursday Night Football it is. Right after you play on Sunday night!

Here is how the NFL should do Thursday night football

#1 Opening year Thursday game is fine
#2 Having it only for teams who are coming off a bye week

So you have it week 1. Then it comes back for weeks 5-14 and not every team gets one which is fine. If you want every team to get one have a few double header Thursday night games when you have 4 teams coming off a bye. Why is that so hard?

Not only will this make it safe but also it will make the games better.
Woah, Bob. Pretty much the same post within moments of each other. Great minds ;)

Woah, Bob. Pretty much the same post within moments of each other. Great minds ;)

Great minds think alike! But so do bad ones.... Lets assume ours are great! :D

Oh fun idea! Next time someone says to you in person great minds think alike cause you both think the same thing. Immediately do something stupid. Then you can laugh at them for being a dumb dumb cause you 2 are alike.

It is the perfect plan!

I really wonder who Florio's source is? This is quite a scoop. It's very interesting to see him break it, given that NBC owns his web site and broadcasts TNF games. He's really hanging some onions! I have to imagine NBC isn't happy with this story.

NBC does SNF, not TNF.

I'd be surprised if this happens, but it would definitely benefit the players if it did/does. Ya know, the ones the league is trying to "protect.":rolleyes:

I've said before that I believe the glut of "national games" is contributing to lower ratings for football. There aren't enough marquee matchups to go around, and the feeling that there's always a game on makes viewing feel less urgent. Drop TNF and make Mondays matter again.

NBC does SNF, not TNF.

CBS retains rights for 'Thursday Night Football' through 2017, NBC added suggests that you are missing something:
  • Both CBS and NBC will broadcast five Thursday Night Football games, expanding the package from eight in 2014 and 2015 to 10 broadcast games in 2016 and 2017.
  • All Thursday Night Football games will continue to be simulcast on the NFL Network.
  • NFL Network will also exclusively televise an eight-game schedule of regular season games comprised of Thursday Night Football, late-season games on Saturday, and additional games to be determined.
  • Both CBS and NBC will produce Thursday Night Football with their lead broadcasters and production teams.
  • Both CBS and NBC will contribute to the production of Thursday Night Football exclusively on NFL Network.
  • CBS and NFL Network will televise the first half of the Thursday Night Football schedule with NBC and NFL Network televising the second half.

I miss the December Saturday games.

I liked those too... if you don't count the Saturday December 24th games (Christmas Eve), there is only one Saturday NFL game this year... 12/17, Fins at Jets, 8pm.

As a fan, I like football more days of the week, but not at the cost of actual human health.

Yep the turn around is too quick for such a Physical sport...Friday Nights wouldn't be bad imo.

Yep the turn around is too quick for such a Physical sport...Friday Nights wouldn't be bad imo.

High School football. That would be a ratings disaster along with a PR disaster. Which is why they left Friday alone in the first place.

I like the teams coming off a bye idea. And get rid of the divisional stuff. It was supposed to improve competition and play as both teams are familiar with each other and tend to be competitive games. But even when "competitive" they are ugly.

High School football. That would be a ratings disaster along with a PR disaster. Which is why they left Friday alone in the first place.

I like the teams coming off a bye idea. And get rid of the divisional stuff. It was supposed to improve competition and play as both teams are familiar with each other and tend to be competitive games. But even when "competitive" they are ugly.

Your're right.

There's about 250 million reasons why TNF is here to stay. What they should do is set it up so the majority of games are played by teams following a bye.

But really there are only so many marquee matchups to go around, so TNF will have a lot of clunkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back