PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com's new city writers mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/ Another week means another chance to play general manager for the Patriots.

NFL.com is polling writers from each NFL city for a mock draft, and I was on the clock for New England's selection at No. 7.

Here is how the first six picks unfolded:

1) Dolphins -- DE Chris Long (Virginia)

2) Rams -- OT Jake Long (Michigan)

3) Falcons -- DT Glenn Dorsey (LSU)

4) Raiders -- RB Darren McFadden (Arkansas)

5) Chiefs -- DL Sedrick Ellis (USC)

6) Jets -- QB Matt Ryan (Boston College)

In this scenario, I went with Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston. The thinking is that Gholston would line up at outside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment, improve the team's pass rush, and allow more flexibility to move Adalius Thomas inside at times.

In retrospect, one point I would have liked to make is that this is considered a deep draft for cornerbacks. While that remains a need area -- and I had selected Kansas CB Aqib Talib in an earlier draft -- it seems as if teams seeking a corner will find better value a bit later in the draft (late first round, second/third rounds).

(sorry if this has been posted already, didnt see it)

Id be thrilled if the draft went this way and we landed Gholston...

Last edited:
Looks like a solid pick, and I agree that if he can line up at OLB, he and Vrabel can do some damage on the outside and Adalius can mix things up on the inside.

Maybe Kansas City would go OT at 5th overall, but those are all logical picks.

In this scenario I think the Jets would either take Gholston or trade down (obv no trades in this format). I can't see them taking Ryan, but I suppose it's a minute possibility. They already have Pennington coming back at 5 mil and Clemens is a 2nd round pick in his 3rd season. They're not adding a top 6 pick to that mix.

Last edited:
KC drafted McBride and Tyler last season as DL prospects and neither one impressed me much at all. I would not be surprised if they took Ellis, who I think was the best defensive player at USC last season. Ellis made Maluaguaga look like a star.

Would the Jets draft Ryan? Pennington has a pop gun arm and should not be starting, Clemens looked like a career backup. I guess if they Jets are giving up on Clemens, they might consider Ryan, however after Bryan Thomas fell apart, the Jets had to use Bowens at OLB and Gholston is such a huge upgrade over Bowens that I can't see the Jets passing on him for Ryans.

What do we do if the Jets grab Gholston?

What do you think? I'm not certain. I'd want to trade down. But what about that Auburn DE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back