PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com: Why the Denver Broncos are Super Bowl favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
However we deflected that question by saying "We can only beat teams we have on our schedule" and at the end we ended up in the Superbowl. .
An objective, true fan of the sport should never reverse a point of logic to win an argument. People who argue like that are like squirrels in a cage that is spinning on axle as the squirrel runs and runs forever. It leads to never ending arguments that never mean anything or settle anything.

The fact is that the schedule argument doesn't work and if somebody is grasping at that straw then it reveals their doubts and fears. They actually have no good argument.

On the other hand some guys on this thread have pointed out that the Broncos don't defend the TE up the seam very well. Now that is an argument that holds water. That being said, rankings never get that detailed. They tend to be steered by consecutive wins and overall records, but to some extent the more recent performances. There's nothing wrong with that. You can't cross reference every team indefinitely trying to make a dumb ranking.

Besides all of that who is to say that Denver won't figure out how to defend the TE? I'm not saying they will do that. I'm just pointing out that teams change constantly as the season wears on and nobody really knows what the coaches have learned and will implement in the playoffs.

So the rankings seem relatively correct to me but as a homer I don't see the Broncos beating the Pats. Now there's a news story: "Homer doesn't see it!" But I guarantee you this: If this homer DOES SEE IT COMING and I have the balls to say so here before the game somebody will accuse me of hexing the team. You see that's how teams really should be ranked: According to fan hexes. It's all about the fans and the hexes ladies and gentlemen.

I look at last year's team and can make comparisons to the 2001 team. That was team that really wasn't ready for a superbowl run. It was a team in the midst of retooling, but got hot, got a bunch breaks,(good bounces and calls) and barely managed to hang on to win the superbowl. That team was like the Giants last season. A good, but not great team, who caught fire at just the right time The true nature of that team, without the breaks was the 9-7 2002 version. It wasn't until the 2003 team that BB had built his true superbowl team.

Last year's team was also a "not ready for primetime" team. It was a "good" team, but a flawed one not only, because of the defense, but because the offense was one dimensional and was thin enough that a single key injury (Gronk) would severely limit it. Yet because of the schedule, and a few breaks, THAT team also got to the superbowl and was a play away from winning it.

I look on this team much like the 2002 team. It was a more talented team than the 2001 team. The QB was better, but it was still flawed. The defense was still missing key parts. And the that year the ball seemed to bounce away from the Pats, rather than toward it.

This year we can see the improvements. The offense is much more balanced. The depth is that much greater. We can lose key players along the OL, TE,. and WR, and still put up huge numbers. The talent on the defense is slowly coming together. We are still missing that key piece (consistent interior pass rusher), and the group is STILL very young....much more talented, but still so VERY young.

So can this team get back to the Superbowl. ABSOLUTELY - flaws and all. There is no team that this team CAN'T beat....at home OR on the road. However there is no team that we will play that we CAN'T lose to, including Cincinnati. IF we get healthy. IF the ball bounces our way a few times, then this team can win it all. However that being said. BB is building a wagon that in the next coming years will rival the 2003-2004 teams in talent and depth

Its ironic that the rest of the league and their fans are all waiting patiently for the Pats to decline, but in the meantime BB has rebuilt the 2007 talent, while keeping on winning, with those flawed rebuilding teams. I don't think the league fans realize that the best is yet to come. :eek:

I totally disagree with the 2002 analogy for this team. The 2002 was a team that got old and soft fast. All you have to look at is 2003 and see how much turnover there was on defense to see that. Also, that was one of the worst years the Pats have had under Belichick in terms of turnovers and turnover differential.

In fact I see more of the 2003 team than the 2002. Some comparisons are:

• A strong rookie class with a lot of rookies making an immediate impact as starters.
  • Dominant on on side of the ball while the other side was mediocre (granted it was the other way around)
  • A great turnover differential (+17 in 2003 and +30 this year)
  • Very high scoring differential (+110 in 2003 and +138 this year)

Obviously, the Pats were a dominant team in 2003 which they aren't this year compared to the field. No guarantees they win the Super Bowl, but I see more 2003 than 2002.

Actually at one point it was 31-7.

The Denver defense got to be highly ranked because the teams they have played they only had to account for 1 or 2 guys and when they have had to account for more. A guy like Jermaine Gersham puts up 108 yards, while AJ Green got 100 yards against them. Dennis Pitta went for 129 yards and 2 TD against them, I know it was a blow out but still Dennis Pitta? Greg Olsen 102 yards and 2 TD. Rod Streater put up 100 yards on them.

Now look at this

Welker in this season's game targeted 15 times, 13 rec 104 yards 1 TD

The playoff game Gronk was targeted 12 times for 10 receptions 145 yards and 3 TD.

The regular season game last year Hernandez was targeted 11 times for 9 rec 129 yards and 1 TD

It has been different guys killing that defense in each of the last 3 games.

btw in the game this year Gronk and Lloyd were targeted only 5 times each. I wonder if that may change. Hernandez didn't even play in the game Week 5.

This was the same dominant defensive unit that was suppose to negate the Patriots last December in Denver.

The author can have an opinion but what exactly gives the Broncos the advantage in December in Denver?

Manning history of superior cold/bad weather play?

Denver's sustained recent history of negating the Patriots offense?

Had the author cited health and projected that gronk/AHern will be limited...I'd give him a valid sticker.

I'm glad somebody feels that way. The team doesn't bother me so much as Manning. His 21-0 comeback on the Pats in 06 must have scarred me a bit.

The Broncos have talent, and any team that makes the playoffs has a shot to win it all, but the love given to them has far exceeded their ability.

We don't have anyone but ourselves to blame for most likely facing a tougher road than Denver and Houston, but I think we've proven to be superior to both teams in the head to head games. We should've beaten Baltimore easily and that Ravens team was far better than the crippled ones Houston/Denver faced, so I see little reason why anyone should rate either of those 2 ahead of us despite record.

There's no AFC team that scares me but ourselves. There's no doubt in my mind we should be favored in every AFC matchup, the only question is can we go 2 or 3 games without stumbling over own feet to reach the Super Bowl like we stumbled multiple times this season. 3 of the 4 losses were extremely fluky and that kind of worries me about our team, but hopefully those are out of the system. If we reach the Super Bowl, then there are teams that I'm not so sure about. I'd probably still pick us if we are healthy enough but it definitely gets considerably tougher IMO if we have to face SF, GB, or ATL and not one of the lower seeds.

Last edited:
The Broncos have talent, and any team that makes the playoffs has a shot to win it all, but the love given to them has far exceeded their ability.

It almost seems like the Broncos have become the "media darlings" and can do no wrong and have no weaknesses.

We don't have anyone but ourselves to blame for most likely facing a tougher road than Denver and Houston...

I can blame the replacement refs who did an awful job and gave the Cards (Gronk Holding) and Ravens (McCourty PI & questionable final FG outside of the upright) games away. The only legit losses we sustained were against Seattle and SF.

We should have been sitting at #1 right now.

It almost seems like the Broncos have become the "media darlings" and can do no wrong and have no weaknesses.

Two words..... Peyton Manning, who has been their "media darling" for a long time now.

Who can forget all of the talking head discussions of how "Peyton Manning deserves a ring" when he still didn't have one after being in the league for a long time.

The media was openly rooting for him.

I'd point out that it is similar to how the MSM was openly rooting for Obama to win, but that would risk making this thread political so I won't say that.

Last edited:
For all the people that want to discount the crap opponents the Broncos has faced down the line, we had the same issue last year. And it wasn't pretty not being tested going into the Superbowl other than by the Ravens. It proved that a 9-7 team playing against tough competition can be better than a 13-3 team that benefited from a weak schedule.

For those that think Denver's a stronger team right now, I'm sure. Peyton's had a lot more time to get acclimated to his receivers, their offense seems to be rolling. Defense is strong and they are taking care of business. No question there.

But, we will be a better team too. Need I remind everyone that the score was 31-7 with less than 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, with Hernandez being out? This is one team this year, I felt we took our foot off the gas on purpose, and didn't run up the score, out of respect for goober.

We didn't make them look as bad as we could have. Of that I'm sure.

Hi I'm new here and a Broncos fan. Our defense is good but it doesn't match up favorably with your offense. We've been getting great production using sub packages but against your no huddle we were trapped in the nickel and you ran over us. But I disagree that our defense is the same as it was. We now have DJ back, Mays has been replaced and so has Porter. Does this mean a better outcome, who knows but home field advantage would be huge for us. The crowd noise and altitude will hinder your offense and defense, I just hope it's enough. Your offense is obviously the best and your defense doesn't get the credit it deserves as well. I don't think we're Super Bowl favorites either but we got a chance. To me, beating the teams you should beat is a sign of a good team but doesn't guarantee a great team. But I believe if any AFC team can take you out, it's us. Just my two cents...:)

I can blame the replacement refs who did an awful job and gave the Cards (Gronk Holding) and Ravens (McCourty PI & questionable final FG outside of the upright) games away. The only legit losses we sustained were against Seattle and SF.

Regardless of all that, if we'd have just beaten the Arizona Cardinals at home we'd be the #1 seed right now. Bad calls happen but we have ourselves to blame mostly.

You could list about 8 more problems with that Ravens game.

You could list about 8 more problems with that Ravens game.

Not only would the Pats have won with competent refs, it is quite possibly a blowout.

:mad:

Hi I'm new here and a Broncos fan. Our defense is good but it doesn't match up favorably with your offense. We've been getting great production using sub packages but against your no huddle we were trapped in the nickel and you ran over us. But I disagree that our defense is the same as it was. We now have DJ back, Mays has been replaced and so has Porter. Does this mean a better outcome, who knows but home field advantage would be huge for us. The crowd noise and altitude will hinder your offense and defense, I just hope it's enough. Your offense is obviously the best and your defense doesn't get the credit it deserves as well. I don't think we're Super Bowl favorites either but we got a chance. To me, beating the teams you should beat is a sign of a good team but doesn't guarantee a great team. But I believe if any AFC team can take you out, it's us. Just my two cents...:)

No offense to you, and I don't say this to belittle your team:

If I were ranking the AFC playoff teams in terms of level of concern, it'd go like this:

Ravens - when healthy, are the team that best knows how to defend the Patriots offense

Texans - haven't been the same since losing Cushing, but they're the most talented (not counting the Patriots) team in the AFC

Bengals - have the interior pass rush that really hampers the Patriots OL and limits Brady's effectiveness more than anything else can.

Broncos

Colts - Not really ready for prime time

No offense to you, and I don't say this to belittle your team:

If I were ranking the AFC playoff teams in terms of level of concern, it'd go like this:

Ravens - when healthy, are the team that best knows how to defend the Patriots offense

Texans - haven't been the same since losing Cushing, but they're the most talented (not counting the Patriots) team in the AFC

Bengals - have the interior pass rush that really hampers the Patriots OL and limits Brady's effectiveness more than anything else can.

Broncos

Colts - Not really ready for prime time

If the game is at Gillette, I agree on the Broncos, but right now, if the Pats play at Denver, I think they are a tougher out than anybody.

The Bengals D is pretty disconcerting given the 49ers and the Jags performance against the Pats' offensive line. But their offense is one that I think the Patriots' D can handle. I see an an ugly win over the Bengals in the WC round if the Patriots don't catch a break and a bye.

For a forum about the pats this sure has quite a bit of bronco talk. I appreciate the good reads don't get me wrong but you would think the fans would be more interested in next weeks game. Not to mention there is a high chance the broncos or EVEN THE IMMORTAL pats could loose before the championship. This game may never happen and its pointless debating who the better team is. That said when it comes down to it a W is a win no matter how hard you try and discredit it.

Pats already smacked the broncos earlier in the year...

Broncos Fan here...
Having read a few of these posts I was just curious to see if you guys agreed with the notion that with a new DC, New QB and a whole new scheme, the first few games of this season was a gelling time for Denver. As you know, QB's and receivers and Oline take a while to gel. It could be said that our loss to the Falcons and Texans could so easily have been wins and in both games we ran them pretty hard.

My real question though is, how effective do you think Brady's no huddle offense and NE's running game will be in an electric Mile High stadium at high Altitude with our elite pass rushers coming off the edge and forcing the pass? Isn't brady 4-9 in Denver? and thats without Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes