PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com - Top 10 Draft Picks Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsho

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Here is the top 10. Order is to be announced tommorow at the draft. I think Brady, Montana for the top 2.

Tom Brady New England Patriots
Brett Favre Atlanta Falcons
Peyton Manning Indianapolis Colts
Dan Marino Miami Dolphins
Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers
Walter Payton Chicago Bears
Jerry Rice San Francisco 49ers
Barry Sanders Detroit Lions
Emmitt Smith Dallas Cowboys
Lawrence Taylor New York Giants

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b3d66&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Last edited:
Manning, Sanders, LT, and Payton were all top 5 picks, how are they great draft picks? Great players, absolutely, but obvious draft picks.

Manning, Sanders, LT, and Payton were all top 5 picks, how are they great draft picks? Great players, absolutely, but obvious draft picks.

I guess the one thing you can argue for Peyton is it was Manning of Leaf that year....To bad they made they right choice.

Well, heres the final results. Bradys #8. Debate away.

1. Joe Montana QB Drafted: 1979, Round 3, Pick 82 Career: 16 seasons, 192 games Notes: Montana turned the 49ers into the team of the ‘80s as he led them to four Super Bowl titles. He was MVP in three of those wins. He directed 31 fourth-quarter comeback wins, including the winning drive in Super Bowl XXIII. Hall of Famer

2. Jerry Rice WR Drafted: 1985, Round 1, Pick 16 Career: 20 seasons, 303 games Notes: Arguably the best receiver ever, Rice owns nearly every major receiving record, including most catches (1,549), receiving yards (22,895) and TD catches (197). Rice has at least 400 more catches than any other receiver. Hall of Famer

3. Walter Payton RB Drafted: 1975, Round 1, Pick 4 Career: 13 seasons, 190 games Notes: The NFL MVP in 1977 and 1985, Payton was an NFL superstar. He ran for more than 1,000 yards 10 times, including a high of 1,852 yards in 1977, and by the time of his retirement, "Sweetness" had smashed the record books. Hall of Famer

4. Barry Sanders RB Drafted: 1989, Round 1, Pick 3 Career: 10 seasons, 153 games Notes: One of the most electrifying runners until his surprise retirement after 10 seasons, Sanders smashed the record books despite being the Lions' only real weapon. He was the first player to have five 1,500-yard seasons. Hall of Famer

5. Peyton Manning QB Drafted: 1998, Round 1, Pick 1 Career: 12 seasons, 192 games Notes: Blessed with a strong arm, intelligence, determination and leadership, Manning has been compared to the NFL's greats. He has smashed the record books, with more marks destined to fall. He has started 192 straight games. Active

6. Dan Marino QB Drafted: 1983, Round 1, Pick 27 Career: 17 seasons, 242 games Notes: The Dolphins got the steal of the 1983 draft when Marino surprisingly fell to them at No. 27. By the time he retired following the 1999 season, the prolific Marino had put his name atop nearly every NFL passing record. Hall of Famer

7. Brett Favre QB Drafted: 1991, Round 2, Pick 33 Career: 19 seasons, 289 games Notes: The first player to be named MVP three straight years, Favre is the all-time leader in almost every passing category, including yards (69,329) and TDs (497). He broke Jim Marshall's mark for consecutive starts at any position. Active

8. Tom Brady QB Drafted: 2000, Round 6, Pick 199 Career: 10 seasons, 129 games Notes: Brady ranks among the best in the NFL ever, having assaulted the record books in his 10 years in the league en route to leading the Pats to three Super Bowl wins in four years and a perfect 2007 regular season. Active

9. Emmitt Smith RB Drafted: 1990, Round 1, Pick 17 Career: 15 seasons, 226 games Notes: The all-time rushing leader (18,355), Smith was the heart and soul of Dallas' 1990s championship teams. In 1993, he was MVP of both the season and Super Bowl XXVIII. He ran for 1,000 yards in a record 11 straight years. Hall of Famer

10. Lawrence Taylor LB Drafted: 1981, Round 1, Pick 2 Career: 13 seasons, 184 games Notes: Taylor was a playmaking linebacker who dominated opponents. He changed the game with his attacking style. In 1986, Taylor had 20.5 sacks and was named NFL MVP, the first defender to earn the award since 1971. Hall of Famer

NFL.com | NFL Draft MVPs | Tracker

If you watch the video highlites, theres a quick 90 second bit on Brady. Nice bit about what he has done and how he wanted to make all the GM's and Coaches think the made a terrible decision not taking him.

The higher ranked Mannings "video bit" is his Superbowl 44 highlites, and includes his pick 6.

No way. For the value, theres no better pick than tom.

Theres also no way peyton is above him. Peytons a choke artist.

Did anybody try voting in this? I sat here and clicked for an hour while my wife and I watched TV one night. At the end of the night I had seen Forrest Gregg about 5 times and Tom Brady not once. It kept a score of your favorite draft pick and somehow it said I had Staubach, apparently because I clicked him as better than the six or so other guys they put him against.

The results look more like a best Modern Players vote (in which Brady's place can be debated as correct or not) than a Best Draft vote.

Last edited:
Absolute joke Brady isn't #1.

It's specfically says draft picks, which obviously the majority of the league is so it should actually account for draft value.

Last edited:
No quarrel with Montana at 1, big quarrel with Brady at 8. Just incompetent analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back