PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com/Rotoworld: Javon Walker to Raiders....6 years, $55M ($16M guaranteed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL.com/Rotoworld: Javon Walker to Raiders....6yrs, $55M ($16M guaranteed)

I bet Jab could of pocketed at least 4.5 mill a year from Mr Davis.
Now those who said we couldn't get Micheal Huff for next to nothing?
Do you see the decisions this guy is allowed to make?
I think we could snatch huff for a 4th and 5th.

Crazy contract for Walker.

I don't think anyone should feel "bad" for someone with a 3 year 27 million dollar contract, but it is blatantly obvious that Randy Moss took FAR less than his open market value to come back to the Patriots.

Randy Moss has the exact same contract over the next 3 years as Javon Walker who is coming off a torn ACL and probably has only had 1 or 2 years where anyone would have considered him a top 10 NFL WR.

This would be similar to Tom Brady taking the same contract as Jake Delhomme or Jeff Garcia.

I don't think Javon Walker's contract should be used as an indication that NE got Randy on the cheap (they did get a good deal though). However, it is a good indication that the Raiders have completely lost their minds. No sane NFL owner/GM of high intellect would ever offer the 2008 version of Javon Walker those contract totals. Remember, he still needs surgery.

Last edited:

The Raiders have now dished out the 3 worst contracts this offseason and signed Kwame "youtube" Harris for 3 for 15

the raiders have dished out 3 of the 5 worst contracts.....i think your forgetting the woody and pace deal ur jets gave out.

the raiders have dished out 3 of the 5 worst contracts.....i think your forgetting the woody and pace deal ur jets gave out.

All three raider deals are worse then the Jets, 5 for 25 with 11 bonus is not worse then 3 for 15 to Kwame Harris who can not even tie his shoe with out falling down

this is the kind of story that makes me want to paypal randy a couple extra bucks.

God I wish I had thought of that when Milloy was saying how he "Had to feed his family"... unless that was Law...

PFnV

I don't think Javon Walker's contract should be used as an indication that NE got Randy on the cheap (they did get a good deal though). However, it is a good indication that the Raiders have completely lost their minds. No sane NFL owner/GM of high intellect would ever offer the 2008 version of Javon Walker those contract totals. Remember, he still needs surgery.

Give it a couple of years and Davis will cut him, take the cap hit, and let him sign w/NE for a couple million a year plus incentives...

Maybe we should actually be Paypal-ing money to Al Davis, God love the crazy old guy!

PFnV

Anyway the Raiders probably thought the guy said his name was Welker.

A lot of the NFL teams have gone stark raving mad. The

contracts for Stallworth and Walker were downright silly.

Give it a couple of years and Davis will cut him, take the cap hit, and let him sign w/NE for a couple million a year plus incentives...

Maybe we should actually be Paypal-ing money to Al Davis, God love the crazy old guy!

PFnV

If I was a Raider fan, I'd want somebody to go "Pauly Walnuts" on him, Sopranos' style! JC, I hate the Raiders, but this team is a ******* joke!

Al Davis has lost his mind. Even Walker's old coach Mike Shanahan said the receiver eventually needed microfracture surgery on his chronically sore knee. Walker gained 57 yards on seven catches in his last five games last year, and barely seemed able to run. Perhaps he'll recover, but Walker isn't worth Randy Moss money even when healthy. Like Moss' deal with Oakland, this one could end ugly.

:wha:

Could get ugly? If I were a gamblin' man, I'd be seeing what odds I could get for "Javon Walker will be a Raider in 2011." :D

Anyway the Raiders probably thought the guy said his name was Welker.

Zing! :D

IF that contract has a team option in it somewhere, then it's actually very similar to Randy's. over the first three years Walker is scheduled to earn $27M, and he's guaranteed $16M. Moss is scheduled to earn $27M, and he's guaranteed $15M, right? So, they overpaid (substantially) for a WR who's coming off severe injuries and needs microfracture surgery, but you're calculations are a little off.

They overpaid, or we got a deal. You choose.

Personally, I think Walker is a good WR. I wouldn't have paid that much, but a team that is desperate for a good WR has a different outlook... especially the Raiders. Who wants to play for them? They have to overpay some just to get those really good FAs. At least until it is clear that they have the ship righted.

Interesting NFL market - that's for sure.

Stallworth - 3 TDs, 700 yards, 48 catches - $10 mil guaranteed

Walker - 0 TDs - 300 yards and 26 catches (in 8 games) and a history of injury and questionable attitude - $16 million guaranteed

Bernard Berrian - 5 TDs, 951 yards - $16 million guaranteed

Moss - 23 TDs, 1500 yards - $15 million guaranteed.

I'll refrain from offering commentary on any of this as if it's not perfectly in keeping with a lock step Kool aid mentality it's probably not welcome here - but I will say that the NFL certainly is sending mixed messages.

Of course its clear its not just past and current production that is factored - still if the Eagles were the only team to seriously consider Moss, that would be shocking to me.

Last edited:

How can anyone put the Raiders as an shining example of what value is in the NFL? They operate in their own world of crazy.

IF that contract has a team option in it somewhere, then it's actually very similar to Randy's. over the first three years Walker is scheduled to earn $27M, and he's guaranteed $16M. Moss is scheduled to earn $27M, and he's guaranteed $15M, right?
Close. 12.3 million.

This signing is par for the course.:D

hehehe... funny stuff.

It just shows how ridiculous Al Davis is...how can you gurantee 16Mill to a player with a bum knee...Watch Walker end up on IR.

Close. 12.3 million.

Isn't it actually something like $15M guaranteed when you count other guarantees the Patriots placed in the contract, as well? I know that's how it was reported...

Edit: Here's the report I was talking about.

$12 million signing bonus and $3 million in guarantees.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3275599

Last edited:

haha, I didn't see this thread. In the Andy Reid thread I posted this:

I'm sorry, did that article say that Oakland gave Javon Walker 6 years at 55 million with 16 million guaranteed!??

Who is making the personnel decisions over there, a box of chicken mcnuggets!?

Isn't it actually something like $15M guaranteed when you count other guarantees the Patriots placed in the contract, as well? I know that's how it was reported...

Edit: Here's the report I was talking about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3275599

You are correct, don't know what space is talking about.

On the Walker deal on the other hand, as Miguel admonishes the initial reports on contract terms are often agent spin, and teams seldom bother to correct them - although the details get out once salary data starts to show up or some intrepid mediot gets a copy of the contract to peruse.

Apparently in Oakland they are feeling a little foolish and don't like the way they are being portrayed. So they clarified the Walker deal. It's not nearly the same deal as Moss.

From PFT:

POSTED 10:34 p.m. EST, March 5, 2008
RAIDERS GET DEFENSIVE ABOUT SPENDING

There's a perception in league circles that the Raiders are overpaying free agents in order to lure players who might not otherwise be inclined to play football for a team with a well-greased revolving door at the head coaching position.

And so the Raiders are putting the word out that the deals signed by some of the team's new free agents aren't as strong as advertised.

As Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times points out, it's virtually unprecedented for an NFL team to correct the record regarding the published details for player contract -- but not for the reason McDonald articulates. Though we agree with McDonald's assessment that the perception of big spending could help the Raiders lure other players, teams typically are reluctant to throw water on the numbers that make it to the press because they're happy to let the player think he got a better deal than he really has. If the team publicly undermines the player's contract, the player might acquire a chronic case of stick-in-butt disease early in the relationship.

As to receiver Javon Walker, the Raiders contend that his reported $16 million guarantee is made up of a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2008. Some agents would argue that this money is as a practical matter guaranteed because the Raiders aren't likely to cut Walker after only one season.

But we disagree with that. Avoiding $5 million in base salary and carrying $5 million in dead money next year is, in our view, a wash. If Walker doesn't work out this year, we think the Raiders wouldn't hesitate to cut him.

So the actual guarantee for Walker is $6 million and the practical guarantee is $11 million.

Also, the Raiders contend that the deal given to tackle Kwame Harris, reported as three years and $16 million, is actually a one-year, $3 million deal.

Meanwhile, McDonald suggests that the status of head coach Lane Kiffin is still up in the air. Kiffin quotes appear in none of the team releases regarding the new signings, and there was no expression of thanks for him when the team parted ways with nine-year veteran Barry Sims.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back