PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Coaching Security - Who Has It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SM was out hurt and because of this the chargers D was awful?? NOPE, the D was awful to begin with, and his absence only accentuated it. A defense is only as strong as its WEAKEST link, not its STRONGEST. They played 6 games against the dreadful AFC west and another 4 against the AFC east and STILL only won 8 games?? With that talent on offense??
During the 2008 season the Chargers were at or near the bottom of team defensive statistics for most of the year; they got a little better in the last month when they overtook Denver and ended up ranking 25th in yardage and 15th in points allowed. In 2007 they were 5th in points allowed and 14th in yards allowed. How did they suddenly get so much worse on defense in one year? I don't follow them on a day-to-day basis, but how did they regress so drastically - other than the loss of Merriman?

edit: just a reminder, the reason I brought Merriman up in the first place was in regards to Norv Turner's job security, which is based on how well I am thinking the Chargers will do this year. I'm guessing they will be more like the 2007 version - with Merriman in the lineup - than the 2008 version, without Merriman.

Last edited:
During the 2008 season the Chargers were at or near the bottom of team defensive statistics for most of the year; they got a little better in the last month when they overtook Denver and ended up ranking 25th in yardage and 15th in points allowed. In 2007 they were 5th in points allowed and 14th in yards allowed. How did they suddenly get so much worse on defense in one year? I don't follow them on a day-to-day basis, but how did they regress so drastically - other than the loss of Merriman?...

Cromartie was also hurt all season. Less pass rush + poorer coverage = crying all over New England. It caused the same problems in San Diego.

Last edited:
He puts Mike Tomlin in the same Untouchable category as BB. :snob:

Why wouldn't Tomlin be in the same category? They hired a young guy with limited experience and really put themselves on the line, and he vindicated the hell out of their decision by winning a SB 2 years later.

Why wouldn't Tomlin be in the same category? They hired a young guy with limited experience and really put themselves on the line, and he got really lucky by winning a SB 2 years later.

Fixed your post for you. :) :mad:

Seriously, though, isn't it saying something that both times this decade the Steelers have made the Super Bowl, they didn't go through the Patriots to do it?

Other than Tomlin and Belichick, everybody is on the hot seat.

Seriously, though, isn't it saying something that both times this decade the Steelers have made the Super Bowl, they didn't go through the Patriots to do it?

I'll give the Steelers '05 because the Pats really didn't have a good team. However, '08 was the biggest gift to the entire NFL by losing Tom Brady. I hope the Pats get a crack at them this post season (assuming both teams make it).

Last edited:

The Steelers may have gotten lucky, but i seem to remember another SB winning team that had alot of luck as well. :rolleyes:

(and no i didnt mean the colts...now that was reeeeeal lucky)

Ehh, A Steeler fan could simply argue that both times this decade the Steelers have made the Super Bowl, the Patriots weren't even good enough to force a game against the Steelers.

Tomlin is not even close to the job security of BB.

Name the last head coach fired by Pittsburgh.

I can't remember one to be honest. I am just saying that Tomlin is not nearly as secure in his job as Bill Belichick.
Things have changed as regards Head Coaches over the last while and if the Steelers were to have two 4-12 seasons I could see Tomlin getting the boot or 'resigning' whereas BB would not have a problem with two bad seasons in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
I can't remember one to be honest. I am just saying that Tomlin is not nearly as secure in his job as Bill Belichick.
Things have changed as regards Head Coaches over the last while and if the Steelers were to have two 4-12 seasons I could see Tomlin getting the boot or 'resigning' whereas BB would not have a problem with two bad seasons in my humble opinion.

I thought this was about THIS seasons job security? If we're talking about 2, 4-12 seasons, then yes, Tomlin could be in trouble. BUT, it was also depend on other circumstances as well. I hate to use the injury excuse, but that can hurt a teams overall performance. Thus, it might not be the coaches fault completely.

I thought this was about THIS seasons job security? If we're talking about 2, 4-12 seasons, then yes, Tomlin could be in trouble. BUT, it was also depend on other circumstances as well. I hate to use the injury excuse, but that can hurt a teams overall performance. Thus, it might not be the coaches fault completely.

Well if we are only talking this year then I'd agree that both are unfireable(is that a word:confused:). But I'd also say the same about Tom Coughlin.

There's not a coach in the league that can survive going winless unless everyone knew that the team was a complete train wreck going in and it had nothing to do with the head coach, and that includes Belichick and Tomlin.

I beleive that if the NEP go 0-16 in 2009, Kraft would still retain BB as the head coach for 2010. (BB might decided to hang it up and quit but I doubt he would be fired.)

I don't think there is another coach in the NFL who could go 0-16 and not get fired including Tomlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back