Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 9:08 p.m. EDT, August 30, 2007
NEW NFL LOGO LOOKS GREAT

Michael McCarthy of USA Today reports that the National Football League is changing its logo. The new version will debut in April 2008, at the draft.

Smart-alecks in the crowd might ask whether the new logo will feature an orange jumpsuit with the letters N, F, and L spray-painted on it through a stencil. (Since we're not smart-alecks, it's not a question we'll be asking.)

Actually, the new logo is a subtle tweaking of the current version. And we think it looks great.

OldShield.jpg

NewShield.jpg

The new design has eight stars -- one for each of the NFL divisions. We also like the 3-D feel of the football, in contrast to the 2-D version on the current logo, which has always reminded us of the foam cut-out with the slits in each end that came with the old Tudor electric football game.

Lisa Baird, the NFL's senior vice president of marketing, said that the new logo will "pop" better on television broadcasts, and will show up better on cellphones, laptops, iPods, and PDAs.

Changing for the sake of change. They did the same thing last year with the new stupid looking ref uniforms.

Ummm, have you seen the new Bruins uniforms? Nevermind, I haven't either.......

Changing for the sake of change. They did the same thing last year with the new stupid looking ref uniforms.

I agree. I had to look at this for ages before I could work out how it was different. I hope they didn't pay too much for this.

Someone was bored or had to justify their job...

The NFL marketing tactics are driving me nuts. Games on Thursdays, flex-scheduling, international games, international SUPER BOWLS (rumored), and now changing the logo so somebody with a PDA can see it better.

I like the old one better. Why mess with tradition?

I'll take a middle path. The new one is better, AND they should have left the old one alone. :)

I think the poster with the PDA comment was right on, though. The old logo was so crammed with detail that it's very hard to shrink. The new one is cleaner and easier to see and manufacture.

The "L" in the NFL logo has always been very distinctive and IMO they made a mistake changing it to a "block" letter. Now it looks like a junior high school kid's poster project.

Last edited:
I like the new one, looks bolder !!

NFL boardroom. Young Madison Ave. executive in black silk turtleneck and hip modern glasses speaks:

"The team all felt really strongly that the old football simply HAD to go. The horizontal position of the ball and length were ALL WRONG for the NFL's target audience. Men in this demographic really prefer more vertical lines and we feel that this new ball achieves the visceral response of excitement and integrity that was the goal of this design project"

NFL executives nod. The deal is sealed.

The executive gets a bonus that allows him to buy a second second home. This one in a ski village in Vermont. He drives the craftsmen building his house crazy with his agressive personality and they wonder how he made all this money while they look at his Lexus during their 15min coffee break.

Funny world.

It's clearly and obviously better and more modern looking. I like it, it's not a dramatic change but it's still a lot better.

FWIW, the new angled football was designed to look like the Lombardi.

It's clearly and obviously better and more modern looking. I like it, it's not a dramatic change but it's still a lot better.

The issue I have is that the "old" logo was classic and represented the tradition of the league over the last few decades. Now they are just pushing that to the side and giving us something I could of whipped up in Paint in about 15 minutes.

Don't forget the new Ref jerseys. Gotta love those.

It's all about control over the brand and product.

Don't forget the new Ref jerseys. Gotta love those.

It's all about control over the brand and product.

Yeah, the "product" being high-scoring games that don't allow WR's to be looked at without a flag.

I should clarify- only when the Colts play NE.

BFD...I don't care what they do with the logo. They could make it pink with purple stars for all I care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes