Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL: Cash Cow/Thoughts on Gillette Stadium

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JMarr, Sep 10, 2008.

1. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Went to buy my first NFL jersey today (#37) and the price started me thinking about two things: How much profit are the NFL and its owners making, and how much would it hurt the Krafts' bottom line if Gillette were modified to make it more of a "homefield advantage" stadium?

Am I the only one who thinks the NFL has become too greedy (some would say "successful")? Between TV/Cable revenue, product licensing, season ticket/luxury suite revenue, corporate sponsorships, concessions, land deals/leases, and now the NFL network, does anyone know how much these guys are actually raking in now?

[Disclaimer: I can't express how much the Krafts should be thanked for everything they have done for this franchise.]
    But after reading some of the comments here about the lack of crowd noise/enthusiasm at Gillette, I wonder if they should consider enclosing the stadium, or getting rid of at least some of the luxury/box seating to allow more "true" fans closer to the field. We have one of the most rabid, passionate fanbases in the country and I think the fans and the team deserve better than a wine and cheese experience at the stadium. Sellouts are one thing, but actual crowd noise and enthusiasm are another.

I say this after seeing games in Seattle and Denver, and seeing how at times Patriots games seem more like a Wimbleton match than a pro football game.
  2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +718 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Never happen.
    Pink Hat fan revenue is too important to Kraft and the NFL. Biff and Muffy need somewhere fancy to take clients and spend thousands so the price of whatever business product they're involved with can be increased to cover sales and marketing costs.
  3. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 10 / -8

Gillette is a new stadium. But even as it was being built I criticized it, when everyone was drooling over it. The Razor is simply too small. As a result the ticket prices are high. No one objects now, while they are winning, but eventually the Teams will be poorer and losses will mount.

Compare its capacity to other parks in the AFC East or around the league.
    Gillette 68,000 and new.
    Buffalo 73,000, but old and a simple Schaefer Miami 75,000 and relatively new.
    Jets leaving 85,000 for 95,000 new seats.

They should add a few thousand seats in one endzone and get to a respectible capacity figure, during the good times.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  4. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I am a season ticket holder who also goes on several road trips a year and I can honestly say that I have not been in a stadium that is much much louder than our at its best. When we show up and make noise it is as loud as most stadiums. Meaning our playoff noise is as loud as other teams but we just don't make the noise in a less meaningful game.
  5. DESERTPAT

DESERTPAT Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I live in Arizona, you should see how the NFL swoops in on Super Bowl week, they take everything a pay for nothing. But then again it is the fault of the "host" for allowing this to happen.
  6. nepatz11

nepatz11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree with sign babybrady 100% having been to several other stadiums they are not louder than Gillette when Gillette is loud and rocking. unfortunately the wine and cheese crowd loves coming to early season good weather games and making no noise.
  7. czech54

czech54 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

this thread shows everything that is wrong with the NFL today. Too much money and corporate interests. Too many not-real fans at the games. Ticket prices ridiculous. I could go on and on, but would it really matter?
  8. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wahh, Wahh..... Lets rag on people with money, because we are envious of them. The majority of pats fans are not "Biff and Muffys". I have had season tickets for over two decades, and I can tell you....the old stadium was a dump, and a football stadium should not be a place for drunk morons to hang out.

Kraft is a savvy business man, and Gillete is a premier stadium.
  9. czech54

czech54 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think it has anything to do with people being envious of people with money. It has to do with the NFL being too commercialized and inaccessible for the common fan.
  10. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

How do you figure? The razor is filled with "common" fans. The NFL is very popular, with that comes added expense. It's not 20 years ago. S!it, it costs 60 bucks to take your lady to the movies now. Times have changed.
  11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +718 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

I am hardly envious of folks with money. I'm retired, way earlier than 65.

What I am saying is that Gillette has become a business expense venue at the expense of football fans. That is a fact. It is the reason for the lux boxes and the club seats. Add in a mix of corporate seats filled with company weenie of the week and you have a crowd that is decidely less 'into' the games than previously. I liked the old stadium because fighting for my seat on the benches was like moving out defenders for rebounds.

I do agree with the drunk morons bit.
  12. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

13. Patti37

Patti37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

HAHAHAHA...this was NOT a fun part of the old stadium. My father and I had seats one and two. One year these three VERY (and I mean very) large guys with tremendously large butts had seats 3,4, and 5. You can just imagine the shifting that ensued. Half the time I had one butt check on and one butt check of the bench. It was a very uncomfortable year.Funny memory though.
  14. Patti37

Patti37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The old stadium was a dump but there is a bit of nostalgia attached to it because for all those years the Patriots did not have a place to call home. I was very excited the first time I went to Schaeffer Stadium. It did not feel like a dump at the time.

I've been okay with Gillette but the building of Patriots Place has taken some of the feel of a football stadium for me. It is not more of a corporate venture. And I hate that tailgaters have pretty much been moved in the lot across the street. Some of the excitment of game day was having tailgaters surrounding the stadium.

The Razor can be as loud as most other stadium. The crowd just needs to be motivated.
  15. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My wife and I were guests for opening day in the Fidelity Suite. I can tell you first hand that not much noise comes from the red seats. In fact I was shocked at the number of people that don't even watch the game. I made a beer run during a time out and couldn't believe the amount of people sitting at tables or the bar having lunch and drinks. The view is not good from inside, you can only see half the field so the empty red seats you see are pretty much people that are not even watching the game.