PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL cap projection is out, per Breer

The higher the 2014 cap is the easier it becomes for the Saints to retain Graham.

The Saints are about $10M over the cap now, with only 42 players (not including Graham) signed.

That's what I was thinking but Miguel tweeted that we're $4.2 under. So I don't know . . . Miguel ?

I am not including any carryover from the 2013 season because I do not know how much, if any, will be carried over. Please note that AH has filed grievances. If he wins his grievances, the Pats will lose another 1,825,200 in cap space.

It's an absolute joke that HErnandez counts against our cap, should get an exemption.

Just a reminder: last year's early projection ended up being a couple of million low.

The Saints are about $10M over the cap now, with only 42 players (not including Graham) signed.

Can you imagine a healthy Gronk and Graham on the same team?

Yikes!

Can you imagine a healthy Gronk and Graham on the same team?

Yikes!

It would be a lot easier to imagine if Hernandez' cash was off the books. :(

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2014 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

So we will have 10.3 million in cap room, 13.6 million when we let go of Sopoaga. 14.2 million when we let go of Adrian Wilson. Those two are the only real easy cuts to gain cap space, as Gregory is too good of a safety to cut him for only 1.8 million IMO.

We could have 21.5 million in cap if we let go of Big Vince...(if he's not the same of course)

Other options to extend that 10.3 m are to (if healthy) extend Wilfork, Ghostkowski and Mankins even if it's by one or 2 years. This can let us throw a couple of million each into bonuses and push some of the cap hits back a couple of years.

This IMO would leave us with enough money to get extensions done for McCourty, and even Solder. it will also allow us to sign a deal for Talib.

Other options to extend that 10.3 m are to (if healthy) extend Wilfork, Ghostkowski and Mankins even if it's by one or 2 years. This can let us throw a couple of million each into bonuses and push some of the cap hits back a couple of years.

They can give Gostkowski an equivalent extension to the one they gave him in 2010 and still lower his cap hit in 2014.

I have the 2014 Patriots' current cap number as $122,300,000. The following factors will change that:

Rule of 51 — In the offseason, the only base salaries or tenders that count against the team salary cap are those of the players with the 51 highest cap numbers on the team. The Patriots already have 53 players on their 2014 roster which means that the salaries of any additional players less than $495,000 will not count against the cap.

Voided years — I am projecting that no Patriot had voided years in their contracts. By rule, the prorated signing bonuses from the voided years would have accelerated into 2013, and, after using the remaining 2013 cap space, would have carried over into 2008.

Street Free Agents — I expect the Patriots to sign 8 street free agents (Braxston Cave, Jordan Devey, Justin Green, Ja'Gared Davis, Kanorris Davis, Cierre Wood, Marcus Forston, R.J. Dill) at the rookie minimum of $420,000.

Exclusive Rights Free agents - The Patriots do not have any players eligible for exclusive rights free agency.

Restricted free agents. The Patriots do not have any players eligible for restricted free agency.

Minimum salary increase — Any player whose base salary specified in his contract is lower than the minimum salary for a player of his experience level is automatically given a raise to the minimum salary. For 2014, this situation does NOT apply to a Patriots player.

Proven Performance Escalator - As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Chris White, Stevan Ridley, Ryan Mallett, and Marcus Cannon are eligible for it in 2014. An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Stevan Ridley played in 14% of the offensive snaps in 2011, 44% in 2012, and 29% so far in 2013. Marcus Cannon played in 16% of the offensive snaps in 2011, 14% of the offensive snaps in 2012 and 36% so far in 2013. Chris White has played in 0% of the defensive snaps in 2012, 0% of the defensive snaps in 2013. Ryan Mallett played in 0% of the offensive snaps in 2011, 0% of the offensive snaps in 2012, and 0% of the offensive snaps in 2013. None of the 4 players are on pace to reach the escalator. If they do reach the escalator, their 2014 salary would increase to around $1.39 million.

McCourty's escalator - Devin McCourty has a $3.2 million escalator clause for the 2014 season. He has already increased his 2014 salary by $50,000. Do not know the terms of the escalator. There is a chance that Devin has done enough to increase his salary by $3.2 million.

2014 LTBE incentives - Some players had NTLBE incentives in their contracts for the 2013 season but by reaching them made them LTBE for the 2014 season making them count against the 2014 cap immediately. Amendola has a $31,250 per game roster bonus. He played in 11 games in 2012 last year so his LTBE amount in 2013 was 343,750 (31,250 *11). He is on pace to play in 12 games in 2013 making his LTBE incentive in 2014 $375,000 an increase of $31,250. Ninkovich has a 250,000 playing time incentive for 2014 that is based on him playing 75 percent of the defensive snaps. He has played 95 percent of the defensive snaps this year which would make this incentive LTBE in 2014. Steve Gregory has a $750,000 playing time incentive. Details are not known. But since Gregory played in 67% of the defensive snaps last year it appears that the trigger is more than 67% since the playing time incentive is not considered LTBE. He has played in 68% of the defensive snaps this year

Not reached 2013 LTBE incentives - I have already adjusted Mayo's and Tommie Kelly's per-game roster bonuses. I have made Mayo's 2013 LTBE Pro Bowl incentive NTLBE for 2014.

Incentives adjustment - I think that more Patriots reached their incentives than did not which will decrease the amount of cap space that the Pats can carry over into 2014. Reached NTLBE incentives - Svitek's per game $10,000 roster bonus. He has played in 10 games this year. Edelman's receptions incentives has earned him $250,000. It is likely that Talib will earn his $500,000 Pro Bowl bonus. It is also likely that Michael Hoomanawanui will reach his one of his playing time incentives ($125,000 if he plays 25 percent of snaps; $250,000 if he plays 35 percent of snaps; $370,000 if he plays 45 percent of snaps). Not reached LTBE incentives - Mayo's 300,000 Pro Bowl incentive. Still to be determined - Slater's 300,000 LTBE Pro Bowl incentive, Ninkovich's 200,000 LTBE Pro Bowl incentive, Svitek's 500,000 playing time incentive, Steve Gregory's $750,000 playing time incentive)

Aaron Hernandez's grievances - Aaron Hernandez has filed two grievances - one for regarding his $82,000 offseason workout bonus money and another regarding his 2013 guaranteed salary of $1,323,000, 2014 guaranteed salary of $1,137,000, and his 2014 guaranteed $500,000 offseason workout bonus money. There are two amounts involved - the 232,800 offseason workout amount is 40 percent of the offseason workout grievance amount. The 984,800 salary amount is 40 percent of the salary that is being contested in the second grievance. From the CBA - "When a player salary grievance is filed against a Club, 40% of the amount claimed (or, for a player whose contract qualifies under Article 27, 40% of the player'S Salary Cap count, prorated to reflect the number of weeks remaining in the regular season) will be counted in Team Salary until the grievance is resolved or until the end of the League Year, whichever comes first.If Aaron wins his grievances before the end of 2013 League Year, another 1,825,200 will hit the Patriots 2013 cap. If he wins his grievances during the 2014 League Year, I believe that the 1,825,200 will hit the 2014 cap. If Aaron loses his grievances, the Pats will get a credit of $1,217,600.

Restricted free agents. The Patriots do not have any players eligible for restricted free agency.

Ummm . . . Danny Aiken?

Stevan Ridley played in 14% of the offensive snaps in 2011, 44% in 2012, and 29% so far in 2013. If they do reach the escalator, their 2014 salary would increase to around $1.39 million.

FWIW, Ridley is not on pace, but could get there if he averages about 50% of the snaps in the remaining three games.

McCourty's escalator - Devin McCourty has a $3.2 million escalator clause for the 2014 season. He has already increased his 2014 salary by $50,000. Do not know the terms of the escalator. There is a chance that Devin has done enough to increase his salary by $3.2 million.

I can't find the proof of this, but I believe someone (Chris Price? Mike Reiss?) wrote that McCourty has hit all the incentives.

In all seriousness, thanks a lot to some of the great cap guys around here. Your knowledge of the ins and outs for these matters is greatly appreciated.

I haven't read the entire thread, but as of a couple of weeks ago we had roughly 4 million, or slightly over at about 4.1 or so. With the expected leap I am assuming that we should have approximately 7 million or so before any other variables are taken into account, such as the specifics that you are discussing with escalators etc.

Ummm . . . Danny Aiken?
Good catch.

Below are the possible projected tenders.

Level 1: $1,389,000 (Right of First Refusal)
Level 2: $1,389,000 or 110% of 2013 salary (Original Round Pick)
Level 3: $2,124,000 or 110% of 2013 salary (Second Round Pick)
Level 4: $3,023,000 or 110% of 2013 salary (First Round Pick)

I believe that the Patriots will tender Danny Aiken at the Right of First Refusal level ($1,389,000) which would take up $894,000 in cap space.

Good catch.

Below are the possible projected tenders.

Level 1: $1,389,000 (Right of First Refusal)
Level 2: $1,389,000 or 110% of 2013 salary (Original Round Pick)
Level 3: $2,124,000 or 110% of 2013 salary (Second Round Pick)
Level 4: $3,023,000 or 110% of 2013 salary (First Round Pick)

I believe that the Patriots will tender Danny Aiken at the Right of First Refusal level ($1,389,000) which would take up $894,000 in cap space.

That might happen temporarily, but I can't see any way that Aiken plays for the Patriots on the tender. The highest-paid LS in the league is Mike Leach, and he only gets $1M a year. Maybe they give him a two- to three-year deal with $100K signing bonus or something.

This IMO would leave us with enough money to get extensions done for McCourty, and even Solder. it will also allow us to sign a deal for Talib.

It will be interesting to see what the team does with Nate Solder, as Solder has a 5th year option that the team may pick up, as it's due anywhere between Dec.29th, 2013 (at the earliest) and May 4th, 2014 (the last day to make that decision). Miguel estimates that cap hit to be approximately 7.6 million for that 5th year (2015), as it is the average of the top 3--top 25 highest cap hits for offensive linemen from the previous year, which would be 2014.

They can certainly buy some extra time and not have to deal with Solder until the spring of 2016, meaning that he's not anywhere of a priority at the moment, and that he'd only be into his 3rd year of a 5 year term.

It will be interesting to see what the team does with Nate Solder, as Solder has a 5th year option that the team may pick up, as it's due anywhere between Dec.29th, 2013 (at the earliest) and May 4th, 2014 (the last day to make that decision). Miguel estimates that cap hit to be approximately 7.6 million for that 5th year (2015), as it is the average of the top 3--top 25 highest cap hits for offensive linemen from the previous year, which would be 2014.

They can certainly buy some extra time and not have to deal with Solder until the spring of 2016, meaning that he's not anywhere of a priority at the moment, and that he'd only be into his 3rd year of a 5 year term.

Since the tender does not, as far as I can tell, prohibit further renegotiations/extensions, I would be somewhat surprised if the Pats don't invoke it.

And, for the record, given the way that NFL salaries tend to be distributed (a few players making a lot, and then a long tail), a rule of thumb is to find the 14th/15th highest cap hit, and use that as an estimate. [Miguel—for franchise tag purposes, aren't all OLs still lumped together in one position?]

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back