PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Awards & Media's 'Best of 2010'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Clayton's 2010 All-Pro Team

Dude, Suh is as adverstised. Barring injury, you may be looking at one of the all time greats.

That very well may be, but he's overrated at this point in time. There's no way he should be on there over Wilfork.

Last edited:
Re: Clayton's 2010 All-Pro Team

1400+ yards on a 6.4 ypc average that was almost an NFL record. 44 catches.

Charles deserves it.

Foster had 18 TDs to Charles' 8. I think that factors in a bit. Though I don't really feel strongly, as I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports hands out his awards for the 2010 season

Awards: Plenty of surprises, but Brady's greatness a constant - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

MVP: Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. This one's so easy a cave man could ... OK, never mind. Let's just say there's Tom Brady, and then there's everyone else. Brady not only is the best player in the game; he's the most valuable, too, and it's not close this season. You can make a case for the guy every year, but this season the record speaks for itself. Brady has BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead for running backs and played most of the season without his top offensive lineman and most dangerous wide receiver, yet he produced one of the most magnificent records in NFL history. I'm not going to recite the numbers here. You know them. All I'll say is this is the easiest decision to make since Denver got smart and cut its losses with Josh McDaniels.

Offensive Player of the Year: Brady. Buffalo had more turnovers last weekend (six) than Brady had all year, but it's not Brady's ability to avoid crucial mistakes that makes him notable. It's the prodigious numbers he puts up. He led the league in touchdown passes. He led the league in passer efficiency. He threw for 3,900 yards. He quarterbacked the league's highest scoring offense. He didn't throw an interception the last 11 games -- a streak that includes 335 passing attempts. He won his last eight starts. And he had the league's best record. Again. It's time we recognize Tom Brady for what he is -- the best in the business and one of the best quarterbacks ever to play this game.

Coach of the Year: Bill Belichick, Patriots. This marks the fourth year he produced at least 14 victories in a season, and, quick now, tell me the last coach to do that. Forget it, I'll do it for you: There wasn't one. Belichick is the first, and this season might have been his greatest year of coaching yet. He won without Randy Moss. He won without a star running back. He won without Logan Mankins for most of the year. And he won with a young, inexperienced and, frankly, not so good defense. But he always wins, and next time you hear the New York Jets talk about how they're the team to beat in this league, keep this in mind: They're not even the team to beat in their own division.

Here's a list of all his award winners and runner-ups:

MVP: Tom Brady, Michael Vick, Matt Cassel, Josh Freeman
Offensive Player of the Year: Tom Brady, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles
Defensive Player of the Year: Clay Matthews, Osi Umenyiora, Cameron Wake, Troy Polamalu
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Sam Bradford, Mike Williams, Rob Gronkowski
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Ndamukong Suh, Devin McCourty, Joe Haden
Comeback Player of the Year: Michael Vick, Wes Welker, E.J. Henderson
Coach of the Year: Bill Belichick, Todd Haley, Raheem Morris
Assistant Coach: Dom Capers, Charlie Weis, Mike Tice
Most Surprising Team: Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay, St. Louis
Most Disappointing Team: Minnesota Vikings, Cowboys, Texans, Chargers
Most Surprising Player: Arian Foster, Brandon Lloyd, Peyton Hillis
Most Disappointing Player: Brett Favre, Randy Moss, Donovan McNabb
Best Free-Agent Pickup: Jason Babin, Julius Peppers, Danny Woodhead
Best Trend: Crackdown on hits to the helmet; Parity; Special Teams getting long overdue recognition as difference makers
Worst Trend: Bad officiating; NFL's insistence on an 18-game schedule; poor clock management
Best Moment: Philadelphia's Miracle at the Meadowlands, Part Deux; Jeff Fisher awarding a game ball to cancer-stricken offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger; Vick's Monday night performance vs. Washington
Worst Moment: Favre lying face down and motionless after a career-ending sack; Spygate II; Sal Alosi's trip

Last edited:
Re: NFL Awards & Media 'Best of 2010'

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports listed his 2010 season awards prior to the week 17 games:

Quarterly Report: Celebrating excellence, lamenting season's end - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

MVP: Tom Brady, Patriots. What he has accomplished is sensational. He loses Randy Moss and gets better? Please. Eagles quarterback Michael Vick blew any chance to win it when he flopped against the Vikings.

Offensive player: Brady. He leads the NFL with 34 touchdown passes and hasn't thrown a pick since October.

Coach: Bill Belichick, Patriots. He has taken a young team and has it with the top seed in the AFC. He gets better and better all the time.

Most-improved player: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB, Patriots. He is the feature back on a good offense. It was iffy that he would even make the team this summer.

Other Patriots mentioned as runner-ups were Wes Welker for Comeback Player of the Year and Devin McCourty for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Re: Brady, McCourty make 2010 Sporting News All-Pro Team

Gronk, McC and Zoltan make all rookie team too.

Not that any of these media awards mean anything, but this isn't even the real All-Pro team, right? I thought the Associated Press did that.

Last edited:

Not that any of these media awards mean anything, but this isn't even the real All-Pro team, right? I thought the Associated Press did that.

Correct, the AP awards won't show up until the Super Bowl. Still a pretty good national gauge of the players/season.

Last edited:

There are three generally recognized all-pro lists: AP, SN, & PFWA.

Charles > MJD

From their website:

Sporting News' NFL All-Pro team was selected by a panel of 50 NFL coaches and executives.

So this team is voted on by "Football" people and not writers. Maybe it does mean a little more than the AP version.

From their website:

So this team is voted on by "Football" people and not writers. Maybe it does mean a little more than the AP version.

Based on this info (and there may still be some politics involved), the list has some credibility.

We know that Brady has been incredible.

In his last 8 games, McCourty has 10 PDs, 5 INTs, 2 FF, 1 Sack. Thats All-Pro.

Last edited:

Asante being on it is a joke. Especially with a few other lock down CB's in the league.

Jamaal Charles had the highest YPA since Jim Brown, and he's got 2 guys over him?

I fail to see how this list is any more credible than any of the others that come out around this time. Just because it's "football people" doesn't mean the list is going to be decent. In some ways, I trust the writers to be much more impartial than players.

If anyone missed Matt Bowen's NFP article about Pro Bowl voting, it's apropros to this discussion.

Re: FRIDAY OUT-TAKES Awards (and Divisional Round) Predictions

Nice look back there John.

It's extremely unfortunate that Henderson and Williams are getting almost zero talk about their comebacks, because they are both great stories. Aside from the Vick factor, I think where they play - far away from a big east coast city - results in their getting very little ink too. Before playoff talk started the media ignored the Seahawks, and the only thing they wanted to talk about with the Vikings was the Favre-Childress-Moss drama.

So true. Vick getting consideration for Comeback Player of the Year is a JOKE. The fact that he is, at this point, the presumptive favorite is mind-boggling.

Enjoyed. Thanks JC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back