PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL announces deal with Walsh; Goodell meeting set for May 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I spent my life following my passion," Goodell said. "The game of football is the most important thing. You can never forget that."

Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said, "Those of us who have been around a long time were rooting for someone from inside the (NFL) family.

"He's always been aggressive and always had a presence about him. He's obviously bright. He couldn't be more qualified for this job."

Goodell, born in Jamestown, N.Y., is married and has twin daughters.

"my life!!!! following with a PASSION!!!"...yeah...RAT FAN...oh wait, ANOTHER NEW YORKER trumpeting this rat??...nice job Ernie Accorsi...of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PFT/Peter King: Walsh deal imminent; Courant: NFL will announce deal today (4/23)

WALSH DEAL IS IN PLACE
Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

...Mr. Walsh, a former videotape operator with the New England Patriots, to share with the NFL information about activities occurring during his employment with the club from 1997-2003,” the statement reads.

The open question in all of this is whether Walsh will also have the ability to speak to the media or to Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.). If the deal contemplates that Walsh will only speak to the league, then there are two potential explanations. First, Walsh is confident that he has enough information to prompt Goodell to take swift and stern action against the Patriots. Second, Walsh really doesn’t have anything and prefers not to be exposed as not having anything to a national television audience.

1997? Should Pete Carrol be worried? :) Can the NFL really grant him immunity from a senate subpoena? C'mon, we are not that stupid. Well, ESPN viewers are. :D

"my life!!!! following with a PASSION!!!"...yeah...RAT FAN...oh wait, ANOTHER NEW YORKER trumpeting this rat??...nice job Ernie Accorsi...of course

Show me a qualified football executive who wasn't, at one time in his life, a fan of a football team, and I'll show you someone who has no business running the NFL. Everyone who could possibly take that job is going to have been a fan of one team or another.

Once again, I don't like Goodell, I think he's botched things up nicely, but his being a former Jets fan is not something I'm going to condemn him for.

Show me a qualified football executive who wasn't, at one time in his life, a fan of a football team, and I'll show you someone who has no business running the NFL. Everyone who could possibly take that job is going to have been a fan of one team or another.

Once again, I don't like Goodell, I think he's botched things up nicely, but his being a former Jets fan is not something I'm going to condemn him for.

Just being a JETS fan is condemning enough.:D

HE started all this complete B.S. because of his hatred for NE, as evidenced by his upbringing on Long Island , New York and his lifelong fan affiliation with his beloved Rats.

Goodell, born in Jamestown, N.Y., is married and has twin daughters.

Wow, you are pretty sharp.

Jamestown, NY is an closer to Buffalo than NYC.
Closer to Cleveland than NYC.
Closer to Pittsburgh than NYC.
Closer to Detroit than NYC.
Same distance to Philly
Same distance to Cincinatti

The agreement is on espn.com and likely elsewhere. Most interesting part to me is that Walsh is allowed to sell his story...but any proceeds for 5 years have to be donated to charity. At least that is how I read it.

Edit: Just read through it again. There is a bunch of hooey about "limits" so maybe Walsh can make a buck on this after all. Guess I'll have to wait until the lawyer types decode it.

Florio read taht section as that any money Walsh makes off this, up to the amount that he may receive for indemnity from the NFL, he has to give to charity. Basically anything more that he makes than that he can keep. Get ready for Dateline: Matt Walsh and The View with Matt Walsh and Matt Walsh: The book!

Another very interesting line I found was regarding what the indemnification entails.. they included a clause regarding "any alleged audio taping by Walsh of any of his superiors while employed by the Club".. so basically the Pats can't sue him for illegally taping Pioli. Something Walsh's lawyer called an absolute fabrication, yet somehow ended up in this agreement....

Florio read taht section as that any money Walsh makes off this, up to the amount that he may receive for indemnity from the NFL, he has to give to charity. Basically anything more that he makes than that he can keep. Get ready for Dateline: Matt Walsh and The View with Matt Walsh and Matt Walsh: The book!

Another very interesting line I found was regarding what the indemnification entails.. they included a clause regarding "any alleged audio taping by Walsh of any of his superiors while employed by the Club".. so basically the Pats can't sue him for illegally taping Pioli. Something Walsh's lawyer called an absolute fabrication, yet somehow ended up in this agreement....

I saw a preview before for Matt Walsh: The Video Game. It looks like a GTA knockoff. :D

Nice catch. Surprise surprise- the lawyer lied.

so basically the Pats can't sue him for illegally taping Pioli. Something Walsh's lawyer called an absolute fabrication, yet somehow ended up in this agreement....
BUT does that mean he could be taken to court by the state of Mass or not?? I do NOT think that includes the state..

BUT does that mean he could be taken to court by the state of Mass or not?? I do NOT think that includes the state..

You may be right... but if Mass. sues him, the NFL pays for Walsh's court fee... I guess that would be worth it if he got jail time, but he probably would only be fined.

why would the state of mass possibly sue him?

No, the agreement explicitly states that he cannot use any of the materials in a manner that would reasonably be expected to be "disparaging" to the Pats or the NFL. [Apparently, he can disclose their contents, but he must be truthful--in other words, he could, say, six months from now, tell ESPN what was on those videos, but he cannot show them to ESPN without the NFL's express and prior written permission; moreover, if he is intentionally deceitful about what is on the videos, then the NFL and/or the Patriots can sue his ***.]

Indemnity, which he has, is not the same as immunity. I think the NFL is agreeing to pay for his defense if he complies with the agreement.

Last edited:
Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Beating_a_Dead_Horse_FINAL.gif
beat-dead-horse.gif
other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

*Sigh*

Will this ever go away? I am so tired of it all.
I cannot wait until it is finally all over and the new season starts
:(

Last edited:
why would the state of mass possibly sue him?
They wouldn't sue him but they could charge him with a crime as it's illegal to tape a conversation with someone who doesn't know they're being taped. I would imagine it's not a serious enough crime to prosecute but I have no idea.

No, the agreement explicitly states that he cannot use any of the materials in a manner that would reasonably be expected to be "disparaging" to the Pats or the NFL. In other words--I don't think he can sign a book deal without violating the agreement.

If that's so, I wonder why they would include all that language about how much potential profit he would be able to keep. How else would he make money off this if not by disparaging the Patriots?

May, 13 or 14 will be the day when we know whether Walsh has anything new.

If that's so, I wonder why they would include all that language about how much potential profit he would be able to keep. How else would he make money off this if not by disparaging the Patriots?

I misread the documents (as I noted above)--he can make a book deal, but if he lies in the book (e.g., he claims he taped the walkthrough, but didn't provide such a tape to the NFL), then all bets are off.

Needless to say, if such a book contained accusations that have nothing to do with the videotaping--e.g., that Player X did horrible thing Y--the agreement wouldn't protect him.

But the key point is that the only thing he can give to anyone, without the NFL's consent, is his story. If he shows them any evidence to back it up, his *** is grass.

oh, goody...then you have NO PROBLEM with Ratdell being a FORMER EMPLOYEE of the NY Rats either then...couldn't possibly be any bias...naw...I got it, let's all get out our Rebecca From Sunnybrook Farm reader and tra la la our way through all this as the squeaky clean Ratdell sits in judgement of a franchise DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED to his FORMER EMPLOYERS.....

remain_calm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back