PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL announces deal with Walsh; Goodell meeting set for May 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dream is that Walsh was in charge of videotaping other teams coaches videotaping the Patriots. Goodell plugs them into his VCR and it's hours and hours of footage of the Jets video crew taping Pats coaches calling signals. :)

Last edited:
The meeting is May 13th, but Walsh is supposed to turn over any documents or video he has by May 8th.

Edit: Pats1 already posted this info, while I was typing, or getting ready to post...guy must be glued to his PC, lol!

Last edited:
Re: PFT/Peter King: Walsh deal could come as soon as today (4/22)

What benefit does Goodell get in screwing over the Patriots? Turning the NFL Draft into a mockery? Weakening the league by casting more doubt on the league's best team? Raising more questions on whether he covered up the original Spygate? Yeah, that will get the Pats.

If Goodell is orchestrating this to be done before the draft, it is to diffuse the situation not expand it.
Exactly right. If he wanted to defuse the situation, he would do it before the draft, not after.

By using that logic, you now must admit that if he orchestrates it to be done after the draft, his purpose is to expand the situation, not diffuse it.

I don't get how it takes 2 weeks to get a box of videotapes from Hawaii to NY. What are they being sent by Pony Express?

Is there any aspect of this entire fiasco that Goodell hasn't completely bungled?

At least its not on a Friday The 13th - its a tuesday :D

I think that we'll find Walsh has nothing but stolen items and a big mouth. The reason the agreement took so long (IMO) is that Patriots had all the power, they had nothing to be afraid of other than rumor and innuendo. They would probably like something bad to happen to Walsh but realize they have to agree to do nothing just to get the innuendo ended. This will die with a whimper.
Not likely. There will be coverup talk that will last longer that discussion of the Tuck Rule.

I don't get how it takes 2 weeks to get a box of videotapes from Hawaii to NY. What are they being sent by Pony Express?

Is there any aspect of this entire fiasco that Goodell hasn't completely bungled?

Media Mail typically takes 2 weeks from Hawaii to NY - You would think the NFL would dish put for Priority instead of a cheap azz shipping method :)

Last edited:

Media Mail typically takes 2 weeks from Hawaii to NY - You would think the NFL would dish put for Priority instead of a cheap azz shipping method

Actually, media mail can take even longer, but I highly doubt the NFL will be using media mail for these videos....if any exist.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I don't get the 2 week wait. It seems like it's to get the media into quite the frenzied mood.

I have to be honest, I don't get the 2 week wait. It seems like it's to get the media into quite the frenzied mood.

Personally I think the 2 week wait is so fans of the NFL can enjoy the pre-draft and post-draft discussions on TV,Radio and in the papers without this ***got Walsh and his BS film interfering with the enjoyment of the new guys and where they are playing.

Last edited:
The agreement is on espn.com and likely elsewhere. Most interesting part to me is that Walsh is allowed to sell his story...but any proceeds for 5 years have to be donated to charity. At least that is how I read it.

Edit: Just read through it again. There is a bunch of hooey about "limits" so maybe Walsh can make a buck on this after all. Guess I'll have to wait until the lawyer types decode it.

Last edited:
The words "Congressional hearing" are contained within the document.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...5nYcB?slug=ap-spygate-walsh&prov=ap&type=lgns

Walsh to meet with NFL about Spygate
By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
49 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—Former Patriots assistant Matt Walsh will meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on May 13 about New England’s videotaping of opposing teams.

The league reached an agreement with Walsh on Wednesday. The NFL had been negotiating for two months with Walsh, now an assistant golf pro in Hawaii, who has indicated he has further information regarding Spygate.

Goodell fined Patriots coach Bill Belichick $500,000, the team was fined $250,000 and was stripped of its first-round draft choice for taking video of New York Jets coaches on the sideline of the 2007 season opener. But the specter of what information Walsh might have has hung over the matter since the Super Bowl, when Walsh reportedly said he had other tapes.

The agreement with Walsh will allow him to “share with the NFL information about activities occurring during his employment with the club from 1997-2003,” the league said in a statement.

Walsh also will be required to return any tapes and other items in his possession that belong to the Patriots.

“Today, Mr. Walsh and the National Football League reached an agreement under which the NFL will provide legal indemnification and a release of claims against Mr. Walsh relating to his employment by the Patriots and the Patriots’ videotaping operations,” said Walsh’s lawyer, Michael Levy of McKee Nelson LLP. “I am pleased that we now have an agreement that provides Mr. Walsh with appropriate legal protections. Mr. Walsh is looking forward to providing the NFL with the materials he has and telling the NFL what he knows.”

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said the team has no immediate comment on the Walsh-Goodell meeting.

Walsh will be required to provide any documents he may have, including videotapes, relating to Spygate. He also will not be allowed to speak with any third parties before meeting with Goodell.

Last September, Belichick acknowledged using such videotapes on a regular basis, calling it a misinterpretation of the rule. Goodell issued his fines, then destroyed the tapes from the Patriots-Jets game, the first win in New England’s unbeaten regular season, along with other materials submitted by the team. At the time, Goodell said he took the Patriots’ word that those were the only tapes.

During Super Bowl week, however, there were reports of possible earlier videotaping by the Patriots, including the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl. Belichick vehemently denied the existence of any such tapes.

“I’ve never seen a tape of another team’s practice. Ever!” Belichick said at last month’s NFL owners meetings. “Certainly not that one.

“I think they’ve addressed everything they possibly can address. I’ve addressed so many questions so many times from so many people I don’t know what else the league could ask.”

He might find out once Walsh and Goodell meet.

Last edited:
This is Jetdell at his Patriot hating best....he'll go to ANY absurd lengths to tear away and destroy the legacy of the Patriots under Bob Kraft...he's nothing more than a shrill shill for New Yorkers and their patholgical hatred of all things New England related.

This entire passion play should have been turned over to an INDEPENDENT arbitrator and Jetdell should have recused himself for his LIFE LONG interest in all things New York sports related, including his HATRED from his high school days for the NE Patriots, the Red Sox, the Celtics and the Bruins.

This is Jetdell at his Patriot hating best....he'll go to ANY absurd lengths to tear away and destroy the legacy of the Patriots under Bob Kraft...he's nothing more than a shrill shill for New Yorkers and their patholgical hatred of all things New England related.

This entire passion play should have been turned over to an INDEPENDENT arbitrator and Jetdell should have recused himself for his LIFE LONG interest in all things New York sports related, including his HATRED from his high school days for the NE Patriots, the Red Sox, the Celtics and the Bruins.

Isn't Kraft one of Goodell and NFL's biggest ALLIES in their battle with the cable companies?

I don't like Goodell at all, but enough with the conspiracy theories. He's not doing all this because he hates the Pats, he's doing it because he messed up and now he's got senators playing the Anti-trust agreement card. He wants to show a "good faith effort" to make sure the situation is taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back