PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL advises officials to eject players for flagrant hits [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The NFL continues to examine ways to beat Pats

In fact maybe following this emphasis Sanders would have been at least flagged if not ejected the other day for a late hit that clearly involved spearing on a defenseless WR who was already down by contact. Luckily for us Moss just jumped up and shook it off while Sanders had to take himself out for a couple of snaps to clear the cobwebbs...

I am not sure I am seeing the fascination that colts fans and writers/talking heads have with Bob Sanders. In fact I was more impressed last week with Marlin Jackson from the Colts secondary. Sanders seemed to be late to the action several times and piled on. I dont like guys that jump on a pile then celebrate. Anyone straighten me out on this?

You're assuming that the refs will call this in an unbiased fashion. After last week, you'll have to forgive me and many others for not making that assumption.

I will joke at times about refs being in the bag, but last week was downright creepy. Hmmm ... for the first time, Pats failed to cover.

I will now go into each game thinking the Pats have to be "cleaner" than the other team.

If there's a streak of bad calls in NE, fans should chant something like "who's your bookie?" The NFL will need to be shaken up a bit, and there's nothing like bad publicity.

One good thing: because the Pats won, complaints about officiating do not sound like sour grapes.

Sanders should have been flagged for that either way...

but why is this coming into effect now? did something cahnge from last offseason? other then the Pats, considerably.....

no, i cant believe that if the refs are told to do so, they wont try to screw NE by using this new rule....i wont be surprised at all....

wut i will be, is closer to running Goodell out of the league

QB's have been dropping like flies and with the emphasis on consusison I think this is certainly warranted. Again, they are talking flagrant as opposed to incidental as well. And with Brady perhaps in some moron's cross hairs, I like the pre-emptive threat of this being emplasized IN OUR BYE WEEK.

Re: NFL advises officials to begin ejecting players for helmet-to-helmet hits

Sanders should be ejected one of these games for trying to spear players and leading with his helmet.

Well, flagrant has already been defined, and it's not just about any ole helmet hit.

Aside from that Bob Sanders is a saint so don't criticize him.

Re: NFL advises officials to eject players for flagrant hits (mergedx2)

who are the Mods on this site?

my thread should NOT have been merged

Re: NFL advises officials to begin ejecting players for helmet-to-helmet hits

Sanders should be ejected one of these games for trying to spear players and leading with his helmet.

He can't help it, he's only 4 1/2 feet tall.

January 2008: Divisional Playoff game- New England v. Pittsburgh.

Foxboro, MA: After the games first play, a 47 yard hook-up to WR Randy Moss, New England Patriots QB Tom Brady celebrated the fast start by head-bobbing his helmet onto the helmet of New England left tackle Matt Light. Within seconds, first year head referee John Parry threw the yellow flag to the ground as 68,000 fans suddenly became silent. Parry then announced a personal foul and automatic ejection from the contest against Brady, even though it was against his own player.
Ironically, this marked the first time a player was ejected from an NFL game since a rule change was enacted with regard to helmet to helmet hits in November 2007. Unfortunately for New England, back-up quarterback Matt Guitterez.....

Last edited:

QB's have been dropping like flies and with the emphasis on consusison I think this is certainly warranted. Again, they are talking flagrant as opposed to incidental as well. And with Brady perhaps in some moron's cross hairs, I like the pre-emptive threat of this being emplasized IN OUR BYE WEEK.

If someone's going to go all out to try to wreck brady, as has been advocated, I don't see how an ejection will stop them from doing so, where a fine would not. Especially when this hypothetical cheapshot would likely occur during a blowout, the threat of ejection poses little additional downside compared to the deterents already in place.

who are the Mods on this site?

my thread should NOT have been merged

uhhh, why not? It was discussing the same exact NFL release. Chill out.

I don't think this is in any way directed at us. There are enough things that are directed towards us without becomming totally paranoid.

Maybe not directed at the Pats, but the timing is a little fishy...

1) Pats beat Indy
2) A significant portion of the Colts' roster is on the injury report
3) Indy faces a huge game on the road against a physical (at least delivering hits) team

Indy will likely be undermanned, especially in their passing game. Any more injuries or re-injuries and the Colts could be in serious trouble for the playoffs.

I am not sure I am seeing the fascination that colts fans and writers/talking heads have with Bob Sanders. In fact I was more impressed last week with Marlin Jackson from the Colts secondary. Sanders seemed to be late to the action several times and piled on. I dont like guys that jump on a pile then celebrate. Anyone straighten me out on this?

Have you seen Sanders play? See Maroney's carry in the 4th in which Sanders gets'em in the backfield on a 3rd down play. He does it frequently. He can play. He can't stay healthy.

After that blatant spear (and late hit) on Brady in the Jacksonville game last year, it's clear to me that the ref's won't be enforcing this new rule against any team that's playing the Pats.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this rule in theory.

Yes, there will be times when somebody unfairly gets ejected from a game.

But hopefully it will have a positive effect overall.

The thing which I just don't get is why teams like the Colts get all the calls in their favor every week and teams like the Pats get screwed as often as not.

At the end of the day, I assume that all of Polian's bullying, whining and b1thching at the refs has an effect.

My first reaction to this rule is similiar to others here. I don't see Brady getting any protection from this rule because he doesn't get any protection when he is speared or hit below the knees and that is already against the rules.

On the other hand, I can see somebody getting kicked out of an important game against, oh, say, the Dolts, while people like Bob Sanders continue to blatantly hit with the helmet on every play right under the ref's nose.

When some things happen over and over again, it is no longer just simple paranoia to expect it again. It starts to be common sense to expect an outcome which has now played itself out repeatedly with our team. We get screwed by the refs. Period.

Have you seen Sanders play? See Maroney's carry in the 4th in which Sanders gets'em in the backfield on a 3rd down play. He does it frequently. He can play. He can't stay healthy.

That's Bob Sanders in a nutshell. He makes one pretty good play over the course of a game, and somehow that overshadows the fact that he was pretty unremarkable for the rest of the game.

Also, Colts fans absolutely can't play the injury card this week. The Chargers have injuries to Castillo, Jammer and Phillips, which is comparable to Indy's situation. Somehow, though, I don't think anyone is going to see fit to mention this in the national media.

did you see Moss spear Sanders at the goal line last game?...he should have been ejected for lying there on the ground and hitting Sanders helmet to helmet as the heroic Bob came in to end the play. Real scumbag that Randy Moss.

Statiscally speaking, the Patriots are not any more likely to be engaged in this type of activity than anyone else.

Right.

But that doesn't mean they aren't more likely to be penalized.

Re: NFL pre-empts flagrant hits

Well, Steve Young and Troy Aikman retired with probably some years left because of concussions.

And a Cardinals QB too, IIRC, before he was even 30.

Anyhow, a rule that will limit Bob Sanders probably for once ISN'T a Polian Special.

Up until watching the Oregon State/Washington game tonight, I would have agreed with all of you...100%.

But after seeing the hit in that game, at the end of the 2nd Q, I now think that the NFL is just trying to protect the players-from ALL teams.

Granted, the officiating in last week's Colts/Pats game was a joke, and I think there is something to the claim that the refs are calling games against the Pats.

BUT:

Leading with the helmet needs to stop. PERIOD.

From the time a kid starts playing Pee Wee, he's taught to lead with the SHOULDER to avoid injury. That needs to carry forward to High School, College, AND the NFL!

The more we learn about concussions and the effect they have on player's lives, the more it should be apparent that leading with the helmet needs to stop.

Last edited:

I like this in theory. What I don't like is that some LB is going to have one of those plays where, as he tackles him, the QB ducks his head and causes helmet-to-helmet. The incidental hit will get that LB tossed from the game by a ref who fails to grasp the concept of "flagrant." I just pray that when this happens it won't be in the playoffs and won't be against a NE player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back