PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL advises officials to eject players for flagrant hits [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this has already been posted, but I didn't find it anywhere:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3103608

NEW YORK -- The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

One fine was against Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry, who will forfeit a game check of $16,764 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens. The other was against Philadelphia defensive tackle LaJuan Ramsey, who was fined his game check of $21,176 for spearing Dallas' Julius Jones.

Two weeks ago, San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence was fined $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit that gave Houston quarterback Matt Schaub a concussion.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

In the memo fining Landry and Ramsey, NFL director of football operations Gene Washington said emphasis would be on hits against players in defenseless positions...

There's more to the article, but that's the meat of it.

NFL pre-empts flagrant hits

NEW YORK -- The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

This could end up with the avoidance of that "cheap shot" so many are advocating for brady.

Last edited:
Re: NFL pre-empts flagrant hits

This could end up with the avoidance of that "cheap shot" so many are advocating for brady.

I wouldn't be concerned about helmet to helmet on Brady, he could recover from that. I would be more concerned about knees, or being driven into the ground and shoulder injury. I don't think this has anything to do with Brady.

Re: NFL advises officials to begin ejecting players for helmet-to-helmet hits

Sanders should be ejected one of these games for trying to spear players and leading with his helmet.

Sanders should be ejected one of these games for trying to spear players and leading with his helmet.

This rule does not apply to the Colts or anyone under 5'10". But I think leg whipping is covered under that umbrella...

I posted the same article at the same time. I blame you for double posting.

Re: NFL pre-empts flagrant hits

I wouldn't be concerned about helmet to helmet on Brady, he could recover from that. I would be more concerned about knees, or being driven into the ground and shoulder injury. I don't think this has anything to do with Brady.
Well, Steve Young and Troy Aikman retired with probably some years left because of concussions. Don't need Tom getting blasted in the head, at all.

Re: NFL advises officials to eject players for flagrant hits (merged)

Sorry in advance if this has already been posted, but I didn't find it anywhere:

Awesome!!!!!!! Now they have an excuse to throw out our defensive players! I just know this is gonna come back to us in a close game. I hope I am wrong but you can book me as saying it first.

This rule does not apply to the Colts or anyone under 5'10". But I think leg whipping is covered under that umbrella...

Have you ever played organized football (not counting Pop Warner)? Matt Light "tripped" Freeney on the play you're referring to. I true "leg-whip" is seriously dangerous as it involves a lot of force generated from a player sweeping his leg (usually done when they are laying prone on the playing surface).

Tripping a player is not that dangerous especially between offensive & defensive lineman since neither are running at a high rate of speed.

When a player trips or "let-whips" a running back, QB or WR, it is an extremely dangerous infraction.

Net/net, it wasn't a cheap shot buddy. Happens all the time in the interior of the line but most don't get caught.

Last edited:

I fully expect this be used against the Patriots in a questionable way in an important situation sometime later this season.

this is all good for offense but bad for defenses. Now they got something to think of before hammering the opposing player

Have you ever played organized football (not counting Pop Warner)? Matt Light "tripped" Freeney on the play you're referring to. I true "leg-whip" is seriously dangerous as it involves a lot of force generated from a player sweeping his leg (usually done when they are laying prone on the playing surface).

Tripping a player is not that dangerous especially between offensive & defensive lineman since neither are running at a high rate of speed.

When a player trips or "let-whips" a running back, QB or WR, it is an extremely dangerous infraction.

Net/net, it wasn't a cheap shot buddy. Happens all the time in the interior of the line but most don't get caught.

Dude - why are you so defensive. I was just saying that leg-whipping was dangerous too. We all know that Matt did not leg-whip, he was agressively tripping.

I did not even reference the play you are refering too. Why did you automatically come to that conclusion.

There's nothing that I would love more than to see Hines Ward get ejected for this.

Watch out, Rodney. ;)

Last edited:

Its a good thing our guys will be sitting out the first week of breaking in this new rule. Let some other team find out the hard way exactly where the new line is drawn.

Re: The NFL continues to examine ways to beat Pats

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8040e157&template=without-video&confirm=true

players are gonna be ejected for helmet-to-helmet hits, or for spearing...

well, lets take guesses, how many pats defenders are gonna be ejected by "iffy" helmet-to-helmet and spearing hits???

i say more then any other team

Statiscally speaking, the Patriots are not any more likely to be engaged in this type of activity than anyone else. Every play has the opportunity for this to occur from all 32 teams and all players currently on the field at the time of said tackle. So I don't think this was directed specifically at the Patriots, more of a league wide mandate.

Last edited:

Statically speaking, the Patriots are not any more likely to be engaged in this type of activity than anyone else. Every play has the opportunity for this to occur from all 32 teams and all players currently on the field at the time of said tackle. So I don't think this was directed specifically at the Patriots, more of a league wide mandate.

You're assuming that the refs will call this in an unbiased fashion. After last week, you'll have to forgive me and many others for not making that assumption.

I don't think this is in any way directed at us. There are enough things that are directed towards us without becomming totally paranoid.

In fact maybe following this emphasis Sanders would have been at least flagged if not ejected the other day for a late hit that clearly involved spearing on a defenseless WR who was already down by contact. Luckily for us Moss just jumped up and shook it off while Sanders had to take himself out for a couple of snaps to clear the cobwebbs...

Last edited:

I don't think this is in any way directed at us. There are enough things that are directed towards us without becomming totally paranoid.

In fact maybe following this emphasis Sanders would have been at least flagged if not ejected the other day for a late hit that clearly involved spearing on a defenseless WR who was already down by contact. Luckily for us Moss just jumped up and shook it off while Sanders had to take himself out for a couple of snaps to clear the cobwebbs...

Sanders should have been flagged for that either way...

but why is this coming into effect now? did something cahnge from last offseason? other then the Pats, considerably.....

no, i cant believe that if the refs are told to do so, they wont try to screw NE by using this new rule....i wont be surprised at all....

wut i will be, is closer to running Goodell out of the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey