PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL admits to screwing Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember the last Colts game where there wasn't ref involvement. Typically it starts before the game is even played,continues during the game,and oftentimes continues after the game as well where it usually morphs into a new rule.

We really need to get rid of Bill polian he really makes the Colts look bad doing that ****...

Well, just put it in the bank for next year. They owe the Pats now.

//

So, it's all BS about the defender having to turn around and make a play on the ball. In other words, he can keep his back completely to the ball and it should be no call. Seemed pretty stupid to me that it ever was a rule. I guess nowadays you have to blow out a team to keep it "referee proof".

As long as no contact is made

Its not crying and whining but this can not be let to just lay there and nothing gets done so that it doesnt happen again, to any team.

Bob Kraft, BB, Pats fans everywhere, etc., as well as just ordinary NFL fans everywhere, need to let the NFL that the rule needs to be changed...that options to p[ass interference have to be added for review at the time of the incident.

Pass Interference is the only penalty in football (NFL) that can be as much as 98+ yards. (unlikely, but possible...no quarterback yet is capable of throwing the ball from his goal line to the other goal line, but if that ever happens, and the receiver is interfered with....it will be a 98+ yard penalty, to the 1 yard line.

Pass interference rules need major change.... including review.

especially when the alleged interference happens in the end zone and puts the opposing team at the 1 yard line

Also, I figured if the NFL was going to admit to a bad call, they would have admitted to Caldwell getting tackled in the endzone while the ball was in the air!

You are absolutely correct. I stated the same thing. If he had just turned his head, slightly, towards the ball, my guess is that the PI may not have been called. Speculation? Yes, but you are correct, Hobbs made a very bad play, first on the coverage, and then ,. secondly, on the jump without turning to see where the ball was.

I, for one, have never been a big fan of Hobbs as a starting corner. He does better as a nickel back when he doesnt have to go man for man with a receiver, and as a nickel, he has the opportunity of seeing the play unfold in front of him, and react to it.

He gets beaten, literally, on every play where he has man cover...and only because of his quickness, he recovers and get close to the receiver, but many times in instances where it turns out to be pass interference, etc.

He is a good, hard nosed player, a good hitter, for his size, but he kills us on the corner.

My hope is that , next season, Eugene Wilson can move up to corner, oppoisite Asante, and that with Rodneys return, he and Sanders at the safeties with Hawkins as the nickel back and third safety.

Ease up on Hobbs, he's a gamer and he stepped up to the Reggie Wayne challenge. He's good and should be a starter next year.

We really need to get rid of Bill polian he really makes the Colts look bad doing that ****...

He definitely does,but Manning is a whiner too. That's all he's ever done is whine, up until his last few games that is. I have no doubt he's always bending Polian's ear after every game,crying about him and/or his team getting "roughed up" or whatever he thinks caused his team to lose.
I do like the team though-Addai,Harrison,Wayne, Edge when he was there,and others.

I just find this all very amusing. Pats fans whining about non-pass interference calls. Every Pats fan wanted a call on the Caldwell play, but how many will admit that pats db's got away with muggings for years? Even this year against SD Samuel raped the SD receiver on the next to last possession. Pass interference should have been called there and it is game over SD wins.

I just read through 54 posts and cannot see anywhere that the NFL admitted anything.

All I see is a Jacksonville beat writer saying the NFL told him. He doesn't even say who in the NFL told him. Maybe he is quoting Ellis Hobbs.

Further proof, or course we have patriots.com quoting the Jacksonville beat writer. Maybe the Globe can quote patriots.com now. It still has as much credibility as the latest Elvis sighting.

Show me something from ESPN, CBS, SI, or even a national newspaper.

The title of this thread should be changed to: JAGUARS BEAT WRITER CLAIMS NFL TOLD HIM THEY MADE A MISTAKE IN UNCONFIRMED STORY

Try reading it again...:rolleyes:

"Face-guarding was discontinued several years ago and I completely missed it. I talked to Dean Blandino in the league office and he confirmed what you're saying. Blandino, by the way, was in the replay booth at the Patriots-Colts game. Ellis Hobbs should not have been flagged for pass-interference. He didn'tmake contact with the receiver and in no way did Hobbs impede Reggie Wayne'sability to catch the pass. Blandino confirmed that the incorrect call was made."

Sounds to me like it was the NFL replay official on site who confirmed that the incorrect call was made. Not sure how much more confirmation some of you need. It may be Vic who tracked him down and asked the question, but that matters not. The Pats will likely get the requisite letter of apology and because they don't cry over spilt milk (BB recently said he hasn't complained to the league about a call in 6 years) they might never bring it to light, as some other teams HC's or GM's certainly would.

while I agree the calls were bad, the Hobbs play happened on a 2nd and 7 so there was still a chance the Colts could have scored, as far as the Caldwell play, I have no argument there, i was setting right there in that corner endzone and was thinking that could have been called PI and I went home and watched my tivo and yes it was a very bad no call..

Thanks for the honesty. Bad calls happen in virtually every game. You'd like to think that the NFL would solve this problem at least in the championship and SB games, but alas, that's too much to ask.

Pats had multiple chances to put the game away and failed. Colts are deserving champs. But these calls sucked, especially the Caldwell non-call. I would have liked to see OT.

Last edited:
Thanks for the honesty. Bad calls happen in virtually every game. You'd like to think that the NFL would solve this problem at least in the championship and SB games, but alas, that's too much to ask.

Pats had multiple chances to put the game away and failed. Colts are deserving champs. But these calls sucked, especially the Caldwell non-call. I would have like to see OT.

:agree: . Unless it hinged on an AV FG:eek:

Hobbs didn't commit a penalty on that play. That's news to me. :rolleyes:

Seriously though an apology after the game still doesn't change the outcome of the game. Let's move on. That call hurt us but there were a lot more plays the Pats left on the field that still could have won them the game.

The only way this would impact the rules is if the competition committee finally decided that a PI penalty putting the ball on the 1 with a first is too much and finally decided to put it on the 15 with a first.

Last edited:
Hobbs didn't commit a penalty on that play. That's news to me. :rolleyes:

Seriously though an apology after the game still doesn't change the outcome of the game. Let's move on. That call hurt us but there were a lot more plays the Pats left on the field that still could have won them the game.

The only way this would impact the rules is if the competition committee finally decided that a PI penalty putting the ball on the 1 with a first is too much and finally decided to put it on the 15 with a first.

Good take. It's been hard seeing this type of thing 2 years in a row. We could be looking at 5 straight SB's but for a few bad calls. But we also had good chances in both games.

Wouldn't it be cool, though, if the NFL called Polian today and said that, after MUCH further review, the Pats were going to SB XLI, not the Colts. :D

He'd die on the spot. Have to take him away in a padded wagon. Poor guy.

//

Wouldn't it be cool, though, if the NFL called Polian today and said that, after MUCH further review, the Pats were going to SB XLI, not the Colts. :D

He'd die on the spot. Have to take him away in a padded wagon. Poor guy.

//

.....:rofl:....

But there was NO contact, unless you're counting the ball hitting Hobbs in the back of the head as contact.

Actually, there WAS contact. Hobbs hits Reggie's left arm with his chest. I've watched it 30 times, AT LEAST.

It might not have been MUCH contact but, there WAS contact.

Aha, the old chest in the arm trick. :D

LOL. I hear Hobbs is gonna get implants this off season so his chest has more reach.

Not sure how much more confirmation some of you need.
How about any confirmation from the NFL?

You say the NFL admitted a mistake and I say where did you see/hear the NFL say that? I want something from the NFL. You gave me some jag beat writer who talked to an ref.

Cool. Did he get the NFL, the league, a director of officiating, the competion committe, and NFL official to confirm what the ref said, and say that is the position of the NFL? No. What you have is proably a referee being chewed out by the NFL as we type.

Think about it. You have the report of a beat writer who talked to a ref. He got the refs opinion, not a statement from the NFL You ask a bunch of different refs a question and you will get different answers and different shades of answers. Every referee crew calls penalties slightly differently.

As I said, the thread title is "NFL admits to screwing Hobbs" and that is not correct. Not that they would say it that way, it is just silly hyperbole from the poster, but the NFL has not admitted to a mistake yet that I have heard.

I have seen the NFL acknowledge an officiating error (SF vs Giants) and they said they made a mistake. That is the NFL admitting to making a mistake.

What you have is the equivalent of Mikey saying that Kraft is cheap and then saying it is confirmed that Patsfans.com's position is that Kraft is cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back