PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL: A Double Header

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl11feb11,1,7223720.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

From the Los Angeles Times

NFL Could Go for Two
Source says the league and ESPN are seriously considering opening the Monday night schedule with a doubleheader.

By Sam Farmer
Times Staff Writer

February 11, 2006

With a change of networks coming, the NFL is poised to do something with "Monday Night Football" it has done only once before: stage a doubleheader.

An NFL source said the league and ESPN are giving "serious consideration" to opening the 2006 Monday schedule with two games, one beginning at 3 p.m. and the second at 6 p.m. Pacific time. The league staged a similar doubleheader in Week 2 last fall so the New Orleans Saints, displaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, could play their "home" opener at Giants Stadium.

This fall, "Monday Night Football" will move from ABC to ESPN, which paid $8.8 billion to buy the rights to the program for the next eight seasons. Because the NFL does not have a Monday game in Week 17, and because ESPN was promised 17 games a season, the network has the rights to an extra game. Additionally, that extra game cannot be played on a Thursday or Saturday because the NFL Network owns broadcast rights to those.

The NFL will announce its 2006 schedule in April. If the league keeps with recent tradition, the Pittsburgh Steelers, as Super Bowl champions, will play host to the season-opening Thursday night game.

In last season's doubleheader, the Saint-Giant game kicked off 1 1/2 hours before the previously scheduled Monday game between Washington and Dallas. When the Redskin-Cowboy game began, the Saint-Giant game was switched to ESPN in all markets except New York and New Orleans.

In the format being considered for the 2006 Monday opener, both games would be aired in their entirety. The source said ESPN's No. 1 broadcast team — Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser — would work the later game.

Al Michaels, originally expected to join Theismann in a two-man booth, was allowed out of his play-by-play contract by ESPN. A member of the "Monday Night Football" team since 1986, Michaels will join John Madden, his former ABC broadcast partner, for NBC's coverage of Sunday night games.

Where the heck will this end? Thursday and Saturday games are already being advertised on the NFL Network. Now talk of adding a 6:00pm and 9:00pm game on a Monday.

Sundays at 1:00pm is a tradition. Tailgating is a tradition. Football is a day-long event for many fans. I don't know, I just look at the NFL Network, the new scheduling, and the upcoming flex-scheduling with a lot of skepticism. Is the NFL taking its base for granted?

I'm one of those fans who "road trips" at least 2-3 times each year. I plan months ahead of time (tickets, hotels, rental cars etc). The concept of the flex-schedule already has me ruling out the month of December - and the schedule won't even be released for a couple of months. Many, many fans travel hours to get to the game (Foxboro or otherwise), imagine not knowing until a 10 days prior if that game is at 1, 4, or 8:30pm? Risk buying tickets if it is only to be a one day trip?

One on Thursday, one on Saturday, three on Sunday, one on Monday - maybe I'm wrong, but this just seems like a watering down of the game.

with 3 games slated for Sunday/Monday night, we're a lock for one of them. Denver/New England is on!

3PM pacific, huh ? That would give me an excuse to take a couple hours off work :)

Murphys95 - football on TV is like sex . . . the more the better.

BelichickFan said:
3PM pacific, huh ? That would give me an excuse to take a couple hours off work :)

Murphys95 - football on TV is like sex . . . the more the better.

It's better - football lasts for three hours.
OK, who will be the first lying machoman to respond otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes