PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL 2007 Pats Schedule Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The Pats 2007 schedule at original look, appeared to be pretty tough. But not so much any more.

Home: Steelers, Bolts, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and the AFCE Bills, Jets, and Phish
Away: Ravens, Bengals, Colts, Cowboys, Giants and the AFCE Bills, Jets and Phish.

There is no western trip further than Dallas.

The toughest games will be against the Bolts (home) and Colts (away). But the next tier are Eagles (home) and then perhaps the Ravens (away, and Bengals (away).

Now that the 2006 Playoffs are complete, Coaches have been fired and hired, we can inspect and judge which teams are going to be tougher, and those that may be weaker than this year due to whatever reasons.

The Bolts come to Foxboro; as do the Eagles and Steelers These are very good teams, with the possible exception of the Steelers under going some re-organization.

Remember that no Coach except Paul Brown, has won a title in his first year. His was an exception as all the other clubs in the AAFC, were new as well; so no one had experience.

Better in 2007:

Bolts - experience for Rivers; ILB shakeup coming, will be disruptive; Marty on thin ice? lots of talent maybe it matures
Bills - experience for Losman, D, and OL maybe better;
Bills - secondary losses; Clements has no franchise option in contract, Fletcher replaced, D weaker?
Eagles- McNabb back; WRs settle in, maybe another RB to help
Browns - better but from low level to merely .500

Staying the same in 2007:

Bengals - gnagsta losses; can they bear down; off of history, NO!
Steelers - Roth healthy but need receivers, and RB, new Coach will be disruptive for a while
Jets - EM won't sneak up and has tougher schedule
Jets - Penny still is limited, little better but worse record
Giants - No Tiki, No love for Coughlin, No QB in Eli?
Colts - Team will be raided; CAP problems, incentives gone, Harrison aging, probably just good, not Great

Going down in 2007:

Ravens - McNair looked old this year; D is aging, as is OLT
Cowboys - No Tuna, TO disrupts in Yr 2 if history is guide; no QB!
Phish - No Nick, aging D, no OL, going down.
Phish - Down, down, & down some more!
Skins - Time to Pay the Piper; no talent, no depth, no CAP, no nuthing!

Looking at this schedule, the toughest games rate to be the Bolts, Indy, Philly and only then maybe Bengals. Two home, one away.

Bolts and Colts have questions. Can LT have another career year? Will the Bolts solve ILB problem replacing both Godfrey and Edwards who are an older and more decrepit pair than Bruschi and Vrabel? Can Marty maintain discipline as a lame duck?
With Colts CAP problems and only $5.5 million CAP space, how do you keep Freeney, June, Morris, and RFAs Lilja and Scott? Plus a bundle of depth RFAs? Pick one, sign him & lose the rest? Harrison showed signs of not being the best receiver in the league at 36 anymore.

The Eagles look to be better if they can find some depth at RB. They have everything else. lucky fro them and Pats, NFCEast is crashing around them as Cowboys and Giants go down to join the Redskins. TO fever has had a year to die out, now infects the Cowboys.

Pats rate to win 2 lose 1. Call it a split, but I suspect 3-1 including the Bengals.

For Bills, Bills, Browns, Jets, Jets, Giants and Steelers, the only game in question should be the Steelers game, but it is at home. Could be a sweep. For the teams going down there should be three of five looking for #1 draft pick in 2008; Others have shot their wad. You can't win without a QB, and Ravens and Cowboys don't have any. Romo who?

As for the Patriots? Will they be better in 2007 than 2006?

Line backing should and will be bolstered by additions, both FAs and draftees, and are the last piece of the puzzle to be the strongest club of the Belichick era. Present WRs will settle in, with another TC. Offensive line will have two third year experienced starters, and a Sophomore. No rookie and still no one over thirty and lots of proven depth. LM and CJ will no longer be rookies, might be better. The majortiy of the offesne should be just entering their primes. Other draftees can bolster team too from upcoming "double draft". :cool:

Net net? Fourteen and two projection for 2007, versus projection of 12-4 this past re-building year. HFA and a bye at least, and maybe #1 seed. Inside track for Lombardi #4 in early 2008, likely playing Eagles or Bears. :D

Comments?

Its way too early to be predicting anything in terms of records.

Just some other items on your analysis of teams.

SD - Loss of Cam Cameron will be big on their offense.
Colts - They will lose some players, but don't be surprised if they keep Freeney.
Pitt - Not only a new HC, but new OC and DC as well.
Ravens - Can they retain Thomas and Johnson? Probably not. What does that do for their defense?

As for your comments about Edwards and Godfrey as ILB for the Chargers, they played pretty damn well against us and Edwards is mentioned by many as a player they'd like to see on the Pats.

Other teams have lost of cap money and they will improve. I am not ready to go annoiting the Pats just yet. Not with everything going on. Especially if the Pats lose Samuel and replace him with either a rookie or Wilson.

Colts - They will lose some players, but don't be surprised if they keep Freeney.
Ravens - Can they retain Thomas and Johnson? Probably not. What does that do for their defense?

As for your comments about Edwards and Godfrey as ILB for the Chargers, they played pretty damn well against us and Edwards is mentioned by many as a player they'd like to see on the Pats.

Other teams have lost of cap money and they will improve. I am not ready to go annoiting the Pats just yet. Not with everything going on. Especially if the Pats lose Samuel and replace him with either a rookie or Wilson.

i cant see the colts being as good next year. they have already said they are keeping freeney (anyone have this quote??) so i dont see any room for them to get BETTER in FA...plus they have the last draft picks so theoretically they get the worst picks in the draft...

jets - i see improving seeing that htey have alot of draft picks as well and are under the cap - new qb??

Bolts - losing turner which will be a big loss...plus cameron

Miami - all i have to say is we better not lose to them again

Bills - we should be able to handle them again

Pats - i think we franchise samuel and resign graham and TBC...all our IR guys come back and we will be right where we were last year, with the exception of ALOT of picks in the first 4 rounds. I see David Thomas emerging if graham is gone and i think hobbs will be more then fine at CB. Honestly, i dont think any rookies will start next year except at LB, and possibly one in the backfeild depending on what happens with samuel...

thanks for sticking your neck out and making an early prediction. thanks too for the analysis of the schedule. i'd taken the view that it was very tough, but you've given food for thought (i do, tho, think that the colts will be better off than you allow and i'm not so sure that the eagles will be as strong as you suggest). I'll hold off on any predictions (my 13--3 this year was wrecked by the Jets loss--I had them losing that game in Miami all along) until the Draft, Trades and FA are resolved. I don't think Samuel will be with us next year. I think they'll franchise him to keep him from moving to the Jests and then trade him for less than full value rather than get nothing)

Last edited:

Other teams have lost of cap money and they will improve. I am not ready to go anointing the Pats just yet. Not with everything going on. Especially if the Pats lose Samuel and replace him with either a rookie or Wilson.

Good points about the loss of the OC and DC for the Steelers. Lots of re-organization.

Our ground game against the Bolts came up and over Godfrey and Edwards. Godfrey has threatened retirement of the last three off seasons and had to be talked back this year. His body is thoroughly beat up. Edwards is small and old but wily. I'd like to see him on the Pats but not as a starter. His position is to take over for Don Davis as a coverage reserve ILB.

Assuming all the players come back exactly as this year on every team, I'd say the patriots are looking at 12-4 at best. More than likely 11-5 or 10-6.

Too many variables to accurately pick the record at this point but I like the early effort. The one thing that is clear is we need to become a beast at home again. In 2003 and 2004 we had no home losses. Look at the Colts . They were undefeated at home. San Diego was undefeated at home until we beat them. We need to again make a Gillette a place that teams don't want to come to.

Too many variables to accurately pick the record at this point but I like the early effort. The one thing that is clear is we need to become a beast at home again. In 2003 and 2004 we had no home losses. Look at the Colts . They were undefeated at home. San Diego was undefeated at home until we beat them. We need to again make a Gillette a place that teams don't want to come to.

Our 2006 season was hampered by some ugly performances on our home turf. The first 7 home games were losses or in doubt late in the game. Our play away from Gillette was amazing though - did you know we held at least a 10-point lead in 8 of 10 road games? The Pats only had 3 games at home where they held a 10-point lead.

i cant see the colts being as good next year. they have already said they are keeping freeney (anyone have this quote??) so i dont see any room for them to get BETTER in FA...plus they have the last draft picks so theoretically they get the worst picks in the draft...

jets - i see improving seeing that htey have alot of draft picks as well and are under the cap - new qb??

Bolts - losing turner which will be a big loss...plus cameron

Miami - all i have to say is we better not lose to them again

Bills - we should be able to handle them again

Pats - i think we franchise samuel and resign graham and TBC...all our IR guys come back and we will be right where we were last year, with the exception of ALOT of picks in the first 4 rounds. I see David Thomas emerging if graham is gone and i think hobbs will be more then fine at CB. Honestly, i dont think any rookies will start next year except at LB, and possibly one in the backfeild depending on what happens with samuel...

What the ****? Why would the Jets draft a new QB? Especially that late of a pick. They already got Clemens last year, they have Ramsey. And Pennington was named the comeback player of the year (If I'm not mistaken) and passed for 3,300 yards.

Anyway, the most important games, here's our division:

Miami, ****, we'll beat them twice. But I wouldn't be suprised if we lost one in Miami.
Bills, we can take care of them both times.
Jets, We'll probably split again

So, at most, probably 2 division losses. I think we'll win the East again.

What the ****? Why would the Jets draft a new QB? Especially that late of a pick. They already got Clemens last year, they have Ramsey. And Pennington was named the comeback player of the year (If I'm not mistaken) and passed for 3,300 yards.

Anyway, the most important games, here's our division:

Miami, ****, we'll beat them twice. But I wouldn't be suprised if we lost one in Miami.
Bills, we can take care of them both times.
Jets, We'll probably split again

So, at most, probably 2 division losses. I think we'll win the East again.

All I said is Penny is limited. If they choose to play Clemens, they'll have to take the pain of inexperience for a couple of years. Other wise they won't improve all that much, against stiffer competition.

Good points about the loss of the OC and DC for the Steelers. Lots of re-organization.

Our ground game against the Bolts came up and over Godfrey and Edwards. Godfrey has threatened retirement of the last three off seasons and had to be talked back this year. His body is thoroughly beat up. Edwards is small and old but wily. I'd like to see him on the Pats but not as a starter. His position is to take over for Don Davis as a coverage reserve ILB.

Steelers have cap troubles (which, I believe, led to Cowher's departure). Patriots look ready to reload. Edwards is playmaker for the Chargers, they will miss him. Godfrey will be back. Cameron is a loss but he may be overated, look at his weapons (LT, Gates, Turner, L. Neal, great line), makes an OC look good.

pao

Steelers have cap troubles (which, I believe, led to Cowher's departure). Patriots look ready to reload. Edwards is playmaker for the Chargers, they will miss him. Godfrey will be back. Cameron is a loss but he may be overated, look at his weapons (LT, Gates, Turner, L. Neal, great line), makes an OC look good.

pao
pao,

I had heard that Godfrey was making this his absolutely last year, as his leg and back injuries are excruciating. What have you heard that indicates he will return after three off seasons of near retirement? I heard he had retired and they talked him out of it at the last minute, prior to this season.

The Pats 2007 schedule at original look, appeared to be pretty tough. But not so much any more.

Home: Steelers, Bolts, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and the AFCE Bills, Jets, and Phish
Away: Ravens, Bengals, Colts, Cowboys, Giants and the AFCE Bills, Jets and Phish.

So we play the Giants twice this year?

So we play the Giants twice this year?

We play the Giants twice but they only play us once. The NFL is throwing us a bone for making us play in China during the pre-season.

Why are the Ravens being so underrated? What's the basis of saying their defense is getting older? You mean to say Ray Lewis is getting older. Ed Reed isn't old. Ngata and Suggs are very young and very good. Bart Scott ain't old. Mcallister and Thomas (if they keep him) are still in the 29-30 range, meaning they have a couple of good years left. The only two guys (I think) that are starters in that defense and are clearly in the bottom part of their careers are Trevor Pryce and Ray Lewis.

Their offense notwithstanding, I still consider the Ravens an elite opponent.

Too Early to predict, I will do that in August... I expect to be in the playoffs , that is the only expectations i have on Feb 7th

pao,

I had heard that Godfrey was making this his absolutely last year, as his leg and back injuries are excruciating. What have you heard that indicates he will return after three off seasons of near retirement? I heard he had retired and they talked him out of it at the last minute, prior to this season.

Godfrey has been talking about retirement for two years. Last year he suffered a personal tragedy (his sister, with whom he had a very close relationship, was murdered during the '05 season) that, according to him, motivated him to play this year. Comments he has made throughout this year, and the way his season ended this year, lead me to believe he will be back next year.

pao

Anyone predicting 14-2 is still holding onto '03-'04 a little too much. Hey, I did the same thing before this season. The days of winning all of the big games are gone until they prove they can do it again.

I'll be thrilled with 12-4 again next year.

and Gon_Trevil we "underrate" the Ravens because their offense sucks. they can beat crappy and good teams but can't beat good+ teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes