PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL 10 years from implosion!(per Mark Cuban)

He's 100% right on the $$. NFL expanding playoffs...no KR sooner or later...reviews on everything

Perhaps, and I think he's just envious because the NBA will never command that kind of financial heft. IMHO the only thing that could hurt the NFL is a strike.

So the #1 sports league in the country which only has 16 regular season games per team needs to schedule around the #3 sports league in the country which has like what 80 regular season games per team?

I love these dire prognostications of doom. Reminds me of the people who get off on the idea of civilization collapse jerking off every time the dollar loses a little value.

There will be no implosion of the NFL just like there was no implosion of the MLB. People aren't going to wake up suddenly and go 'I don't want to watch the most compelling sport in the country anymore because of some rule changes' and all go out side and start kayaking and gardening.

At worst the NFL will see the slow, gradual slide from 1st place that the MLB did. But it won't, because the problems with the NBA and MLB that saw their popularity drop are big problems. Namely too many games a season and in the case of the NBA too much of the popularity gets tied to individuals. The NFL is appointment viewing. The NBA and MLB are 'I'll catch the game if I have time tonight' viewing.

If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning retire tomorrow it won't be the same as when Michael Jordan retired.

The real threat to the NFL over the next 50 years is soccer. The MLS is meh but if the US ever starts participating in one of the big leagues that coupled with the rising popularity of World Cup could propel soccer. Xenophobic types who hate the metric system can gtfo.

I respect Mark Cuban but he's starting from a position of considerable bias. The NFL is always going to be #1 in the United States. Hell, I've watched a steady increase in popularity here as people are further exposed to NFL and the game is explained to them.

No Mark, the NFL won't implode.

ESPN said:
Cuban was specifically referring to the NFL's recently expanding its television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

Cuban said:
"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week.

"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."
That's really all that was said. So, there are, what, 82 games in an NBA season? Even if you watch all available NFL games, what's that 80? If you follow your team through to the finals, that is AT LEAST 16 games and up to 28. The entire NFL post season is 11?

Cuban's concern is that the NFL will clobber the NBA head to head. Here is an interest THURSDAY stat...

Wisconson Sports Report said:
"Game 3 of the Bucks and Heat series in the NBA playoffs was carried Thursday night on Fox Sports Wisconsin and TNT. The telecast began at 6 p.m. and had a combined rating of 3.3 in the Milwaukee market (2.1 on TNT and 1.2 on FSW), which means about 29,700 households watched on average.

That same night the NFL draft was televised on ESPN and the NFL Network. It had a combined rating of 8.9 in the Milwaukee market (7.2 on ESPN and 1.7 on NFLN), which means about 80,300 households were watching on average."

Cuban is a cool dude but his just mad that even big prime time NBA games get played on TNT and the NFL has FOX. CBS. NBC and ESPN, the NFL draft gets better rating then most NBA playoff games the NFL is not going anywhere

It's not like he's wrong though. Usually NBA doesn't schedule any exciting games on NFL Sundays anyways. I mean either way nobody is watching basketball when football is on. I"m a die-hard celtics fan but I'll watch almost any NFL game over them.

Do you think that the NBA avoids scheduling games head to head with the NFL as a courtesy, though? I'd say that it's because they know what we all know: that no sport can go head to head with the NFL and expect to get respectable ratings.

Cuban's speaking from the position of a frustrated NBA owner. It's wishful thinking on his part, but it's simply not going to happen. The only force that has any chance of derailing the NFL is the whole concussion dilemma, and that won't be felt in the NFL ranks for well more than a decade. It won't be felt until all of the kids whose parents are just now barring them from playing football turn 18 or so.

When I saw the header I thought: someone's predicting that the Jets will win the Superbowl in 10 years time, but ... no, that would be ridiculous!

So instead there's this guy who apparently owns a team that plays matches nearly every day for months and months saying that a league that only has 32 teams playing 16 matches each will destroy itself if it starts to re-schedule its games in ways that compete with him.

And people are taking him seriously. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

He's a sharp buisness man, right on the money blah,blah,blah. Comparing the NFL to "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire"? Really? Me thinks somebody wishes he had bought a football team instead of a basketball team.

If he had he'd be the blue ribbon hog instead of the yellow ribbon swine.

He's a sharp buisness man, right on the money blah,blah,blah. Comparing the NFL to "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire"? Really? Me thinks somebody wishes he had bought a football team instead of a basketball team.

If he had he'd be the blue ribbon hog instead of the yellow ribbon swine.

I EXALT thee!!!!!:biggrin2:

The only thing I will say about Thursday night football is the product on the field in generally awful. Not enough time to prepare or recover. The league insists it is giving fans what they want cause the rating prove this fact. However the only reason anyone watches Thursday night football if their team isn't playing is fantasy football. Thursday night football is unwatchable
You sure you weren't watching college? There were a lot of great games this past season played on Thursdays and there were certainly some duds - just like any regular Sunday. (I am talking about the games themselves, not the matchups.. the mathcups are certainly not the crème de la creme)

The real threat to the NFL over the next 50 years is soccer.
triple.png

You sure you weren't watching college? There were a lot of great games this past season played on Thursdays and there were certainly some duds - just like any regular Sunday. (I am talking about the games themselves, not the matchups.. the mathcups are certainly not the crème de la creme)

The matchups are a whole other issue they are a disaster..the patriots game was awful..thanks god they beat the jets 13-10 but if they would have lost I would have been suicidal. The jaguars houston game... The browns buffalo...kc eagles which was like watching my mother make out with my father...the only good game was the Denver charger game and I can't help but think if that was played on a Sunday the outcome would have been very different

So the #1 sports league in the country which only has 16 regular season games per team needs to schedule around the #3 sports league in the country which has like what 80 regular season games per team?

I love these dire prognostications of doom. Reminds me of the people who get off on the idea of civilization collapse jerking off every time the dollar loses a little value.

There will be no implosion of the NFL just like there was no implosion of the MLB. People aren't going to wake up suddenly and go 'I don't want to watch the most compelling sport in the country anymore because of some rule changes' and all go out side and start kayaking and gardening.

At worst the NFL will see the slow, gradual slide from 1st place that the MLB did. But it won't, because the problems with the NBA and MLB that saw their popularity drop are big problems. Namely too many games a season and in the case of the NBA too much of the popularity gets tied to individuals. The NFL is appointment viewing. The NBA and MLB are 'I'll catch the game if I have time tonight' viewing.

If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning retire tomorrow it won't be the same as when Michael Jordan retired.

The real threat to the NFL over the next 50 years is soccer. The MLS is meh but if the US ever starts participating in one of the big leagues that coupled with the rising popularity of World Cup could propel soccer. Xenophobic types who hate the metric system can gtfo.

LOVE the metric system - HATE MLS

Cuban has an agenda. He flirted with owning a team in the short-lived United Football League and probably has another football-related idea to hatch.

Of course he does. Most shrewd businessmen do when they make a public statement about a competing company like this one. That doesn't make his point any less right.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly: The NHL, which a few years back was almost eclipsed by freakin' NASCAR in popularity, has had multiple lockouts including one that cancelled a whole season, yet is still standing and once again growing in revenue and popularity. But the NFL, the most popular sport in the country, is going to "implode" in the next decade because...

For all the rule changes, I still watch football and think "this is football". If the 4th/5th most popular sport can bounce back after screwing their fanbase out of an entire season, the NFL will survive a few revenue generating schemes (whether I agree with them in principle or not).

Cuban is playing an angle here, because there's no way he's stupid enough to believe that and still be a billionaire businessman.

That's really all that was said. So, there are, what, 82 games in an NBA season? Even if you watch all available NFL games, what's that 80? If you follow your team through to the finals, that is AT LEAST 16 games and up to 28. The entire NFL post season is 11?

Cuban's concern is that the NFL will clobber the NBA head to head. Here is an interest THURSDAY stat...

That bucks series is a horrible example. I know the NFL draft ratings are crazy but, at least use a conference finals or NBA finals ratings. Bucks had zero chance to beat the heat and were already down 2-0. I would guess the finals had better ratings than the draft (as it should) but wouldn't be shocked if draft was close.

Cuban has a point. Over-saturating the masses with your product is never a good thing on top of the rule changes that have altered the game from the version we all grew up watching.

MLB had their day and so did the NBA. The NFL will run its course and the recent changes will simply expedite the process.

Don't laugh. I never used to watch soccer but got exposed to the international game 5 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Just a few years ago you couldn't watch any international games unless you went to a bar, but now you can watch any of the top leagues on TV.

Funny back in the 70's when I was in school, they used to tell us that soccer would be the #1 sport in ten years AND we would all be using the metric system!

Neither one is ever going to be true!!!

Don't laugh. I never used to watch soccer but got exposed to the international game 5 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Just a few years ago you couldn't watch any international games unless you went to a bar, but now you can watch any of the top leagues on TV.

And why is that? Because a million cable channels have to air SOMEthing.

If soccer will be popular in the US... IMHO... it will be because at minimum the game changes to the point where an average score is 5-4... not 0-0.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back