PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL 10 years from implosion!(per Mark Cuban)

Dang Cuban gas...........

is the NBA back from their strike???

The Thursday games are a bit of a stretch. Monday Night Football is a staple that has been around almost as long as I have. I used to enjoy the two games on Saturdays after the college football season was over. I was hoping that they would bring them back.

The NBA is never even coming close to the NFL as far as appeal. The NFL relies on loayalty to your team and competiotive balance. The NBA is based on the appeal of their individual players, so unless they come up with another Bird/Magic/Michael Jordon trio, they will alwasy be a distance third to football and baseball.

Cuban is a very sharp business man and is right on the money. Greed, oversaturation, and borderline brain dead rules changes which aim to take away a lot of the things that have made this sport the top dog in America will eventually lead to it's decline.

The Thursday games are a bit of a stretch. Monday Night Football is a staple that has been around almost as long as I have. I used to enjoy the two games on Saturdays after the college football season was over. I was hoping that they would bring them back.

The NBA is never even coming close to the NFL as far as appeal. The NFL relies on loayalty to your team and competiotive balance. The NBA is based on the appeal of their individual players, so unless they come up with another Bird/Magic/Michael Jordon trio, they will alwasy be a distance third to football and baseball.

All true but Cuban didn't become a millionaire by being an idiot, he's pretty bright at looking at future trends. Time will tell if he's right or wrong.

Have watched him in Shark Tank and he seems like a very astute businessman. The way Roger is leading the NFL, it seems like it is headed straight to a steep cliff.

I have a gut feeling he is right on the money here :(

owners are cutting the proverbial golden goose slowly :mad:

Cuban is a very sharp business man and is right on the money. Greed, oversaturation, and borderline brain dead rules changes which aim to take away a lot of the things that have made this sport the top dog in America will eventually lead to it's decline.
Cuban has an agenda. He flirted with owning a team in the short-lived United Football League and probably has another football-related idea to hatch.

Cuban has an agenda. He flirted with owning a team in the short-lived United Football League and probably has another football-related idea to hatch.

Before I bash him I will just say I actually really like Cuban. OK with that out of the way, he is a bit of a Jerry Jones wannabe who has always been jealous of the love for the Cowboys down in Dallas. This is not the first time he has taken issue with the NFL.

"I know we're just little pissants compared to the NFL, but seriously, the NFL is turning into the ugly American when it comes to sports leagues," Cuban said. "They don't give a crap about anybody but themselves."

Tweeted Cuban: "NFL couldnt schedule the Pats for late game on Sun rather than opposite Celtics @1pm?"

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban rips NFL for scheduling of NFL playoff games - ESPN Dallas

Cuban is equal parts sharp business mind and salesman. He makes some good points, but he also has an agenda in representing this viewpoint that's impossible to ignore.

Robert Kraft disagrees with Mark Cuban's assessment of NFL future - CBSSports.com

Think i'm gonna side with the guy who saved the NFL in 2011. Just think he might have a little more insight on the NFL business model than Cuban.

Also if Cuban could sell his soul to be one the "hogs/NFL owners" he would in a heartbeat

It's not like Kraft could admit Cuban was right if he did believe that. Which is doubtful because Kraft is usually leading the charges on these things. NFL should try to maintain what they're doing now with minor changes like extending the goal posts and reviewing big penalties like pass interference. Not making major changes like moving a team to London or adding more playoff and regular season games.

Before I bash him I will just say I actually really like Cuban. OK with that out of the way, he is a bit of a Jerry Jones wannabe who has always been jealous of the love for the Cowboys down in Dallas. This is not the first time he has taken issue with the NFL.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban rips NFL for scheduling of NFL playoff games - ESPN Dallas

It's not like he's wrong though. Usually NBA doesn't schedule any exciting games on NFL Sundays anyways. I mean either way nobody is watching basketball when football is on. I"m a die-hard celtics fan but I'll watch almost any NFL game over them.

Cuban is correct to the extend that overexposure will dilute the appeal of the NFL. That said, the NFL would have to be on 24/7 before the ratings of the NBA would approach that of professional football.

He's 100% right on the $$. NFL expanding playoffs...no KR sooner or later...reviews on everything

It's not like he's wrong though. Usually NBA doesn't schedule any exciting games on NFL Sundays anyways. I mean either way nobody is watching basketball when football is on. I"m a die-hard celtics fan but I'll watch almost any NFL game over them.

I don't want this to sound....bad. But it probably will. I know a few of my old friends who would rather watch the heat vs the pacers then any NFL game really.

So yes people do watch basketball over football

The only thing I will say about Thursday night football is the product on the field in generally awful. Not enough time to prepare or recover. The league insists it is giving fans what they want cause the rating prove this fact. However the only reason anyone watches Thursday night football if their team isn't playing is fantasy football. Thursday night football is unwatchable

I highly doubt it drops in popularity over the next ten years, but I could see it falling off within the next generation or so.

The main enemy to the NFL is itself. Either from wrongly handling the whole concussion / injury issue or from watering down the product. Honestly, I hate Thursday night games. I really hope they don't begin to expand past 16 games either. One of the reasons people love football is because it's 16 games. I can devote one night a week to watch my favorite teams or big games and be done with it. Most older people have lives that make following 82+ games seasons difficult. I have no clue how people are able to follow baseball regularly.

Plus, people's interests change over time. When I first began watching sports it was all hockey for me. Then the NFL became my favorite sport to watch and eventually college football and hoops surpassed that. I still enjoy the NFL, but it's not quite the same as it once was.

The NBA is based on the appeal of their individual players, so unless they come up with another Bird/Magic/Michael Jordon trio, they will alwasy be a distance third to football and baseball.

You're right about the NBA being behind the NFL but a distant third to MLB too. I think you're wrong about this one.

Why the NBA is More Relevant than MLB in the 21st Century - Forbes

10 Things MLB Needs To Change Before The NBA Becomes More Popular - Business Insider

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back