PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL’s Top 10 General Managers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Tom Heckert deserves a mention. I don't know who I'd displace though.

4. Bill Belichick (New England Patriots)
While former Titans GM Floyd Reese is now a senior adviser for the Pats, we all know who is in charge. Despite losing Scott Pioli to the Chiefs in 2009, the Pats haven’t missed a beat with smart draft picks like Patrick Chung, Devin McCourtney, Brandon Spikes, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman and Aaron Hernandez – to name a few. Oh, and Belichick was the guy who realized Danny Woodhead was way better than anyone else in the league realized. Now armed with five picks in the first 74 selections because of shrewd moves like trading Richard Seymour and Randy Moss, expect Belichick to make a 14-2 team much better.

:rofl:
Wonderful.

A.J. Smith has drafted some good players, but he's also done just enough to hurt that team......norv! and the article said that A J was smart enough to draft Turner, who no one had heard of ??? Everyone knew who Turner the burner was......well, i mean if i knew of him, everyone must have ;)
either way, I don't think he should be on that list, and BB should be higher :rocker:

A.J. Smith has drafted some good players, but he's also done just enough to hurt that team......norv! and the article said that A J was smart enough to draft Turner, who no one had heard of ??? Everyone knew who Turner the burner was......well, i mean if i knew of him, everyone must have ;)
either way, I don't think he should be on that list, and BB should be higher :rocker:

He may have drafted Turner, but he didn't resign him, and sure looks stupid now!

I'd shuffle the deck and reorder them for sure. Belichick deserves the nod at #1 by virtue of the # of protogees he's landed in the top ten as well. And the record plus the rings. I'd discount Reese because of what has transpired since the year he took over a team Acorsi built. I'd discount AJ on principle, SD should have more to show for the decade. Ozzie hasn't won anything in a decade despite all the talent, too. Pioli gets a bump from his previous gig.

1. Belichick. Not the GM in name only...
2. Colbert - inches Polian out on rings
3. Polian
4. Pioli
5. Loomis - quite a turnaround with Payton and Brees and some sweet picks
6. Ted Thompson, guy and his HC both deserve a medal given all they had to deal with
7. Ozzie - been a decade in which rival Steelers carried the day from within division so...
8. Reese - inherited a SB winner, hasn't done much with her since so maybe it was just luck
9. Dimetroff - turned around one hell of a mess.
10. T - Dominik SEEMS to have Tampa poised to climb out of ditch Gruden dug them into while
AJ has barely managed to dominate the weakest division in the AFC that could be getting stronger.

wow so a guy who won the most recent super bowl is #1. interesting that his team was mediocre at best for a long while

wow so a guy who won the most recent super bowl is #1. interesting that his team was mediocre at best for a long while

Thompson's place is inflated by last year's Super Bowl, no doubt. But I wouldn't say they were mediocre for a long while. The Packers went 10 years without a losing record, and then Thompson took over. The team was aging and needed to be re-built, and the 2004 draft was pretty awful under Sherman as coach/GM.

They had two years with sub-500 records; in his first season, when Favre threw 29 INTs, and Rodgers' first season as a starter, when the team went 5-5, but lost 5 of 6 down the stretch. Both are perfectly understandable.

In the other 4 years, they went 8-8 once, then won double-digit games 3 other seasons, with 3 play-off appearances and a Super Bowl.

I don't think he's #1, but he deserves a spot, probably in the top 5.

i am ok with him at #1 he's teams has relly only had one loseing season since he's been the GM they been to 2 NFCCG's won 1 + a SB win

he signed Charles Woodson bring in Dom Capers who made them a top 5 defense and Drafted one of the best QB's in the NFL one of the best WR's in the NFL and one of the best pass rushers in the NFL

Thats what i was thinking, the team while good has won (A) Super Bowl. Just because GB won the last SB doesn't make the guy the best GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes