PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next season's schedule [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Finalized 2009 Pats Opponents

The schedule has been predetermined since 2002, same reason Indy played at Foxborough in 04, 05, and 06.

good news is that outside of the london trip, travel is pretty minimal

Re: Next season's schedule [merged]

Looking back...

when I saw the Pats were traveling West 5 times (Raiders, 9ers, Shawks, Cards, and Chargers), I thought the Pats could lose a couple of those just because of wear-and-tear from traveling.

All in all, I thought the Pats would win 13, but 11 isn't bad minus Brady (and Harrison, AD, Maroney, etc) all season long.

Re: Next season's schedule

Good question. Why can't they come here sometimes? :mad:

i think the deal, for some arcane reason that i don't pretend to understand, is that the teams play three years in a row in one place and the next three in the other...so, after next year, it's back to foxboro for three years.

This is the last of the Colts/Pats matchup.

Somehow I doubt that. Wouldn't shock me at all if both the Pats and Colts are back atop their respective divisions next year, which means we'll have plenty more Colts to look forward to. Even if we weren't playing the AFC South anyways this year, we would have faced them by virtue of both finishing second in our division.

There's no escaping the Colts.

You guys got to be joking.

Week 1 2004 @ NE

2005 @ NE

2006 at NE

We get two home games and it's a conspiracy.

Only an idiot Colts fan would think its a conspiracy. Secondly, it would be much better for you to just point out that the schedule was predetermined back in 2002 and that the only reason that its been the the Patriots at the Colts recently is because both have finished 1st in their divisions. Well, this year they both finished 2nd.

I don't understand how people forget so easily. They came here 3 straight regular seasons, now this will be the 3rd straight season we go there.

The only reason its been 3 straight is because both teams have been finishing at the same spot in their division and because of how the 8 year rotation goes.

People forget that there are 2 ways for us to see the Colts on the schedule. Either in the regular rotation of the divisions or on the strength of schedule pairings.

We faced them this year because of the strength of schedule pairings. We face them next year because of the divisional rotation.

Home
-------
Jaguars
Titans
Falcons
Panthers
Bills
Dolphins
Jets
Ravens

Away
-------
Texans (see you there!)
Colts
Saints
Buccaneers (in London, England)
Bills
Dolphins
Jets
Broncos/Chargers (whoever loses tonight's game)

I count six 2008 Playoff teams including the Dolphins. This year we played only four of the 2007 Playoff teams. Nobody knows, of course, who the Dolphins of 2009 will be, but, on the surface, next year is tougher.

The only reason its been 3 straight is because both teams have been finishing at the same spot in their division and because of how the 8 year rotation goes.

People forget that there are 2 ways for us to see the Colts on the schedule. Either in the regular rotation of the divisions or on the strength of schedule pairings.

We faced them this year because of the strength of schedule pairings. We face them next year because of the divisional rotation.

Although we would have faced them for the former reason anyways. It's fate.

F#$*^@ the NFL and F#^#@ London. The Pats play in Tampa once every 8 years and they play the friggin game in a country that doesn't even give a crap about American football. Can't wait for the ******s blowing whistles in the stands.

You do realize that for all the blathering about not caring about American Football that they sold out the tickets this year almost as fast as the the Patriots tickets right?

There are plenty of people in the UK who like American football.. Including many Americans who are stations at bases in the UK... .

If that holds that would be a truly BRUTAL schedual. In fact i don't think i've ever seen one so tough. Not even the one from a couple of years ago when our schedual was considered the toughest in many, many years.

That schedule isn't nearly as tough as 2004 when the Pats faced 11 teams that had 10 or more wins...

havent seen this anywhere on here.

how many god damn times are the pats going to have to play at indy? seriously? this has to be the 3rd or 4th straight year.

2009 opponents finalized - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

First of all, you are late to the party. Its been talked about ad nauseum. Secondly, the Colts came to the Pats 3 straight years. Its based on the rotation of the divisional games and rotation of the strength of schedule games and the pure luck that the Pats have been 1st in the division when the Colts have been 1st in theirs.

It's gonna be a tough year next year. NFC South is the anti NFC West. It's one of the best divisions. Plus the NFC South as well as the Ravens? Can't wait. Brady should be amped!

I am looking forward to next season. I think that, for as tough as it looks, it will only serve to temper the Patriots into that much better of a team.

Re: Next season's schedule [merged]

Looking back...

when I saw the Pats were traveling West 5 times (Raiders, 9ers, Shawks, Cards, and Chargers), I thought the Pats could lose a couple of those just because of wear-and-tear from traveling.

All in all, I thought the Pats would win 13, but 11 isn't bad minus Brady (and Harrison, AD, Maroney, etc) all season long.

The Pats only traveled west twice. They made it into 2 week trips each time. And it was done at the request of BB and Kraft. The Pats went 3-1.

F#$*^@ the NFL and F#^#@ London. The Pats play in Tampa once every 8 years and they play the friggin game in a country that doesn't even give a crap about American football. Can't wait for the ******s blowing whistles in the stands.

You my friend, are a t@@t!!!

The support over here is FAR greater then you think!!!

i think the deal, for some arcane reason that i don't pretend to understand, is that the teams play three years in a row in one place and the next three in the other...so, after next year, it's back to foxboro for three years.

Ok. There is nothing arcane about it. When the league set the 8 year rotating schedule back in 2002, they set it as follows:

Each year you play your own division 6 times. 3 at home and 3 away.
Then, you play one of the other 3 divisions in your conference 4 times (2 home and 2 away).

Then you play one of the 4 divisions in the opposing conference 4 times. 2 home and 2 away.

The final 2 games come from the 2 divisions in your own conference that you didn't play. And the teams you play will be ranked to your equivalent. In other words, the #1 team in the AFC East will play the #1 team from the AFC North, AFC South or AFC West. This year, it was the AFC North (Pittsburgh) and AFC South (Indy).

Its much easier to see the pattern that the league used when you look at the 8 year schedule that they did.

http://www.geocities.com/nh_wynter/Pats02-09.htm

I put up an attempt to show, both with words and colors, how things rotated.

I count six 2008 Playoff teams including the Dolphins. This year we played only four of the 2007 Playoff teams. Nobody knows, of course, who the Dolphins of 2009 will be, but, on the surface, next year is tougher.

The Dolphins will face a tougher schedule than us next season. Here's their opponents...

Home
-------
Texans
Colts
Saints
Buccaneers
Bills
Jets
Patriots
Steelers

Away
-------
Jaguars
Titans
Falcons
Panthers
Bills
Jets
Patriots
Chargers

We'll see if they are a fluke or not. They could pull a Cleveland (winning one year with an easy schedule then collapsing the following year with a tougher one).

2008 Playoff Teams
Titans (13-3)
Colts (12-4)
Panthers (12-4)
Dolphins (11-5)
Dolphins (11-5)
Falcons (11-5)
Ravens (11-5)

2008 Non-Playoff Teams
Buccaneers (9-7)
Jets (9-7)
Jets (9-7)
Broncos (8-8)
Saints (8-8)
Texans (8-8)
Bills (7-9)
Bills (7-9)
Jaguars (5-11)

The colts and the panthers should be hard games. The rest we could win with matt cassel as our QB. Its not the strong defensive teams that the patriots have problems with its the teams that have strong passing offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey