PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Roster Cut Tuesday - Most Likely Candidates to Go for Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think PUP players are counted against the 75, but not the 53.

You could IR a PUP player and not have him count against the 75.

That's what I thought.

During his career, Knighton has been a solid pro with flashes of being a damn good 4/3 and 3/4 DT.

Kuhn is not as stout vs the run as Knighton and is the same age. Knighton is bigger and in case god forbid Brown or Branch go down that'll leave them with only 2 fatties and one will be a rookie. Plus Kuhn was never known in NY as getting any pressure on the QB and I think Knighton is just a bit better in that area.

Kuhn's positives are that he seems to be in the right place all the time but I'm sure he can do anything once he is there.

He also hasn't impressed me but in fairness Knighton hasn't either.

So all in all, I chose Knighton.
Fair enough. I haven't seen anything from Pot Roast that would indicate he deserves a roster spot. I'm sure there are many more lile myself, but damn am I dissapoimted. But, if forced to choose one over the other, Kihn gets the nod from me for his motor and all-in-all more disruptive play on the line. I'm very comfortable with Branch, Valentine and Brown being the only run stoppers on the roster for the DL.

Fair enough. I haven't seen anything from Pot Roast that would indicate he deserves a roster spot. I'm sure there are many more lile myself, but damn am I dissapoimted. But, if forced to choose one over the other, Kihn gets the nod from me for his motor and all-in-all more disruptive play on the line. I'm very comfortable with Branch, Valentine and Brown being the only run stoppers on the roster for the DL.
Fair point. It is a tight race. If either one has an email scandal that could tip the scales.:p

So if Knighton is wacked they'll have Brown, Branch, Valentine, Kuhn and Johnson at DT. Only two proven run stoppers kinda makes me nervous.

Stopping the run and forcing teams to pass is the key to this D. That plays to their strength.

Kuhn is the cheaper alternative but I just don't see Kuhn better than Knighton over a 16 game season.

That's al they had last year

I thought if you PUP someone they don't count against the 75. I am assuming we PUP Amendola, Lewis, ect..
Here is what Miguel has to say, from his blog published today (Sunday):

Tuesday 4PM August 30 is the deadline for teams to cut their active rosters to 75 players. I have the Patriots with 82 active players so the Patriots will have to make 7 moves.

Patscap’s Pre Roster Cuts Thoughts

Watching BB build the roster each year is like watching this:

Has anyone here seen Williams or Scheu play in a game......I haven't noticed them at all......

scheu had 1 ST tackle vs the saints and 2 receptions vs the bears in the 4th quarter. here's one of them. nice throw on the run by brissett:

williams had 1 reception against the panthers for no gain. that's the only stat he's registered.

jordan richards was a 2nd round pick.

mind boggling.
Was really looking forward to seeing this kid make a jump forward and take some reps from Chung. Doesn't look good so far. He has made a couple plays, but most of time he looks out of position and a couple steps behind the man he's supposed to be covering.

Was really looking forward to seeing this kid make a jump forward and take some reps from Chung. Doesn't look good so far. He has made a couple plays, but most of time he looks out of position and a couple steps behind the man he's supposed to be covering.

This will be a massive failure. It was rightfully questioned at the time, and I still hope he turns it around but something tells me he isn't going to.

4.65 speed on the field is showing up against TE's and RB. Can't imagine how bad he would look against WR. Seems to be in the right position at the beginning of the route but simply can't keep up as the route progresses.

Thanks guys for all the help answering my questions.....I guess I'm just a bit too lazy to find some of these out on my own......time constraints and all.......and a lot of you have the answers right off the top of your head ..... :cool:

I'm sure some guys will be getting the call today. BB has done that before. Cut 'em early so the have a good 12-24 hrs for their agents to make some calls and try to hook on with another team.

?? A second round pick who doesn't make it is a common occurrence n the NFL.

BB second round record is more misses than hits:
Richards
Dibson
Wilson
Ras-IR
Cunningham
Brace
Butler

But his hits have been spectacular :
Gronk
Vollmer
Vereen

Richards
Dibson
Wilson
Ras-IR
Cunningham
Brace
Butler

Gronk
Vollmer
Vereen

Gronk, Collins (you forgot him) and Vollmer >>> any of his misses

The cuts coming in this wave will be mostly veterans who are not subject to waviers. BB believes in cutting them earlier instead of later to give them a chance to land with another team.

The last round of cuts will be the younger guys that they a)need to play Thursday against the Gaints and b) hope they can slide through to the practice squad.

Richards
Dibson
Wilson
Ras-IR
Cunningham
Brace
Butler

Gronk
Vollmer
Vereen
I think this is true for most teams. Second round picks unlikely to pan out. Draft is a crap shoot.

Tavon Wilson was solid in spot duty Butler should of been great here no idea what was wrong with his technique

4.65 speed on the field is showing up against TE's and RB. Can't imagine how bad he would look against WR. Seems to be in the right position at the beginning of the route but simply can't keep up as the route progresses.
I would not be surprised if BBs recent fetish with speed and athleticism on D spells the end for Richards. Not a lock IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back