PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Roster Cut Tuesday - Most Likely Candidates to Go for Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I count the roster at 82 as of now which means 7 have to be cut. Who are your 7:

1) Vinnie Sunseri - looked bad on those drives at the end of the game.
2) Kevin Snyder - same
3) Jon Halapio - haven't seen him, but he was horrible last time.
4) Joey Iosefa - maybe try these reps with a tight end still on the roster.
5) Terrance Knighton - the no longer of a surprise veteran cut
6) Woodrow Hamilton - Plenty of defensive lineman fighting for a spot to take the reps and you always got Joe Vallano for the rest.
7) DeAndrea Carter or whatever receiver they think has the least shot.

I would have said Clay Harbor, but there aren't that may tight ends.

I would note that some players will be kept not because they are the most likely to make the team, but because they are needed for scrub time for the last game.

So if Knighton is wacked they'll have Brown, Branch, Valentine, Kuhn and Johnson at DT. Only two proven run stoppers kinda makes me nervous.

Stopping the run and forcing teams to pass is the key to this D. That plays to their strength.

Kuhn is the cheaper alternative but I just don't see Kuhn better than Knighton over a 16 game season.

Kuhn was getting decent penetration a few times against Carolina and was in Newtons face and almost inches away from a sack.

So if Knighton is wacked they'll have Brown, Branch, Valentine, Kuhn and Johnson at DT. Only two proven run stoppers kinda makes me nervous.

Stopping the run and forcing teams to pass is the key to this D. That plays to their strength.

Kuhn is the cheaper alternative but I just don't see Kuhn better than Knighton over a 16 game season.

I think people are sleeping on Johnson when it comes to the run. And, while Valentine is unproven, Brown was unproven last year. Valentine has been pretty stout at the point of attack during the pre-season.

I would be fine with Brown, Branch, Valentine, and Johnson as the DTs.. But they're likely to keep some DTs for the 4th game..

We're likely to see the surprise cuts here so that they could possibly hook on with another team for the last game of the pre-season.

Just curious. Is this opinion based on anything you've seen this preseason or is it based reputation?

I think people are sleeping on Johnson when it comes to the run. And, while Valentine is unproven, Brown was unproven last year. Valentine has been pretty stout at the point of attack during the pre-season.

I would be fine with Brown, Branch, Valentine, and Johnson as the DTs.. But they're likely to keep some DTs for the 4th game..

We're likely to see the surprise cuts here so that they could possibly hook on with another team for the last game of the pre-season.

Johnson makes this team no matter what. Hes won me over and then some.

Its Kuhn that I can't get behind on being part of the 45 or 53.

Just curious. Is this opinion based on anything you've seen this preseason or is it based reputation?

During his career, Knighton has been a solid pro with flashes of being a damn good 4/3 and 3/4 DT.

Kuhn is not as stout vs the run as Knighton and is the same age. Knighton is bigger and in case god forbid Brown or Branch go down that'll leave them with only 2 fatties and one will be a rookie. Plus Kuhn was never known in NY as getting any pressure on the QB and I think Knighton is just a bit better in that area.

Kuhn's positives are that he seems to be in the right place all the time but I'm sure he can do anything once he is there.

He also hasn't impressed me but in fairness Knighton hasn't either.

So all in all, I chose Knighton.

Has anyone here seen Williams or Scheu play in a game......I haven't noticed them at all......

Sunseri should be called Suckseri..

.....oops, did I say that out loud?

Snyder is a Rutgers guy...but haven't seen him stand out at all......any thoughts on him? PS ?

Hamilton......Who is this guy? PS material or what?

Halapio.....Jalapinio......BIG OL project for Dante????

Milton....?? Nice town but who the heck is this guy?

There's 7 who might be candidates to get down to 75

Give the real bubble guys some PT and see what they have vs Gints on Thursday night......

During his career, Knighton has been a solid pro with flashes of being a damn good 4/3 and 3/4 DT.

Kuhn is not as stout vs the run as Knighton and is the same age. Knighton is bigger and in case god forbid Brown or Branch go down that'll leave them with only 2 fatties and one will be a rookie. Plus Kuhn was never known in NY as getting any pressure on the QB and I think Knighton is just a bit better in that area.

Kuhn's positives are that he seems to be in the right place all the time but I'm sure he can do anything once he is there.

He also hasn't impressed me but in fairness Knighton hasn't either.

So all in all, I chose Knighton.

Knighton was a really good DT at one point. Problem is, this isn't 2013. He was horrendous last year in Washington and while some speculated that it was because he was out of shape/not motivated etc, it looks more likely that his struggles were due to him declining more than any conditioning issue. He hasn't been particularly good in camp and certainly not the Knighton from a few years ago. He's not especially old but he's certainly not the guy he was with Jacksonville or Denver.

Knighton was a really good DT at one point. Problem is, this isn't 2013. He was horrendous last year in Washington and while some speculated that it was because he was out of shape/not motivated etc, it looks more likely that his struggles were due to him declining more than any conditioning issue. He hasn't been particularly good in camp and certainly not the Knighton from a few years ago. He's not especially old but he's certainly not the guy he was with Jacksonville or Denver.

I disagree. He started slow in WASH but did well his last several games. WASH wanted him back but only on a 1-yr deal. Thats not horrendous. At any rate he is still better than Kuhn.

QBs - None
RBs - None - need RBs for next game
TEs - Steve Schea cut.. But other TEs will be used a lot to show what they got. Harbor and Derby a lot.
WRs - None - Edelman/Hogan/Mitchell/Amendola will all not play. They will want 5 WR options.
OL - Milton cut (give Flemming and Waddle a long look to know if you need to upgrade or if they are good with what they have). No one else.. too many injuries and need the bodies. Cooper could be a surprise cut if they think he will not be ready and just give up on him.

DE - None - you want to sit
DT - Hamilton cut (Branch will probably play a bit to get him some snaps as will Knighton for 1 last shot)
LB - Synder cut . Looks of Mingo and the young picks.
CB - None
S - Sunseri cut

The rest of the cuts can be accounted for with the PUP.

Kuhn is awful and shouldn't make the team.

Most likely are Vollmer, Lewis, and Jackson to Reserve-PUP

Not sure if Amendola lands on PUP or starts to play.
Then maybe a TE like Scheu, a S like Sunseri, a RB like Iosefa, and an OL like Halapio

QBs - None
RBs - None - need RBs for next game
TEs - Steve Schea cut.. But other TEs will be used a lot to show what they got. Harbor and Derby a lot.
WRs - None - Edelman/Hogan/Mitchell/Amendola will all not play. They will want 5 WR options.
OL - Milton cut (give Flemming and Waddle a long look to know if you need to upgrade or if they are good with what they have). No one else.. too many injuries and need the bodies. Cooper could be a surprise cut if they think he will not be ready and just give up on him.

DE - None - you want to sit
DT - Hamilton cut (Branch will probably play a bit to get him some snaps as will Knighton for 1 last shot)
LB - Synder cut . Looks of Mingo and the young picks.
CB - None
S - Sunseri cut

The rest of the cuts can be accounted for with the PUP.

I think you need two more unless you want to cut a PUP player. I still say they cut a surprise veteran because of the risk of being stuck with an injury.

Most likely are Vollmer, Lewis, and Jackson to Reserve-PUP

Not sure if Amendola lands on PUP or starts to play.
Then maybe a TE like Scheu, a S like Sunseri, a RB like Iosefa, and an OL like Halapio
Yeah, unfortunately Iosefa hasn't really shown much. Gaffney and Develin are much better options. Gaffney is a big back who has shown a lot, and Develin is a proven blocker and receiver in the backfield.

MUST.....MAKE......ROOM.....ON...... THE......ROSTER.....FOR...........wait for it.....

FOSTER............ :D

I think you need two more unless you want to cut a PUP player. I still say they cut a surprise veteran because of the risk of being stuck with an injury.

I thought if you PUP someone they don't count against the 75. I am assuming we PUP Amendola, Lewis, ect..

I thought if you PUP someone they don't count against the 75. I am assuming we PUP Amendola, Lewis, ect..
Thats my assumption as well. The players you mention, including Vollmer and Jackson are both on the PUP until they are removed from PUP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes