Welcome to PatsFans.com

Next Olb??

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mcsully, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

So I'm looking over the free agents that are visiting and seeing who is doing what and a name appears to me, Andre Carter. He is 6-4 265 pounds and can play the DE/OLB like Mcginnest.. he Had a couple of solid years, 1 awesome year after his rookie year, and might be a quality pickup for us.
    Considering he has been in a horrible organization that has had 3 coaches from day 1, he could really work out for the Pats.. Of course this is just speculation and never seen him played (only in Madden :p )..

Anyone ever see this guy or am I way off?
  2. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think he could be an intresting project for the Pats to consider. Shouldn't command big bucks, I wouldn't mind the signing. Would love to see his buddy Julian Peterson sign as well.
  3. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Guess who's looking at him too? His visiting the Redskins now
  4. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Honestly the guy you want is Scott Fujita.

Hes 6'5'' 250 lbs and has only been in the laegue for 4 seasons so he is relatively young. Fast and good run supporter as well. Not an all pro in coverage but not many OLB are.

In his short 4 year career he has 260 SOLO tackles as well.

Scott Fujita is the replacement
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +434 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Although I'm allright with leaving Vrabel in the middle and getting a replacement OLB, I still think our better option is putting him back outside and trying again to find an ILB partner for Bruschi. That said, I wouldn't totally discount Beisel as he'll be in his second year with us, playing with Bruschi for the first time, and when Beisel was in, Wilfork wasn't playing as well as he did later. Beisel may be fine with the improved NT play, teamed with Bruschi and in his second year.

I guess I'm saying that Vrabel would be our next OLB :) And I'd go with Bruschi inside (of course) teamed with Beisel, if they think he can step up, or try again for an ILB upgrade. Vrabel played well inside but I do think his strengths were underutilized there.
  6. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Beisel needs to become worlds better in TC to be the new ILB, i think he is great in run coverage and making the tackle but having to read the quarterback and adjust is his MAIN problem. He just cant do it.

Vrabel on the other hand could and can, and he does it very well. Why not make Beisel the Ted Johnson esque run stopping guy and situational rotation partner with Vrabel and Bruschi until you find a more guaranteed ILB.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +434 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't disagree. Vrabel was good inside and getting better. And an OLB (including McGinnest as a possibility) would be easier to find than an ILB. I just can't help wasnting to utilize Vrabel's strength outside, though.
  8. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i like fujita as well....andre carter hasn't performed as well since moving from end in a 4-3 to OLB in a 3-4....allegedly....he's best off looking to get back to a 4-3
  9. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Carter & Fujita are the guys I really hope the Pats sign. I think Carter, with proper coaching, could be McG Jr. And Fujita has the size BB covets in LBs. Neither should break the bank.

Good to hear Carter visited. If he signs I'll be very happy.
  10. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree that Fujita or Carter may be who the team needs...will BB/SP feel the same way?? I am suer they have many many contingencies...
    Fujita's visits include NO and Jax.....hmmm NE may look like the place..but onlt they know for sure. The waiting game....
  11. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

How about Claridge alongside Bruschi?

"You need to learn sometime..."
  12. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +325 / 20 / -48

#50 Jersey

Claridge could, very well, be an answer, Pats1. In fact, Claridge was playing pretty decently for a rookie at the spot that Ted Johnson vacated before Claridge, himself, went down to injury.
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

re

Actually, Beisel is HORRIBLE at run coverage and making tackles. I watched him nearly every play last season, and he is the exact opposite of a Ted Johnson-type linebacker. He won't stick his nose in a play or hit a guy head on, he gets taken out of a play if a body is put on him, and he has no leverage/strength/desire when tackling.

Vrabel was good, but he isn't a big enough guy for ILB. I would slide him back to OLB and find a big run stuffer to replace the void that Ted Johnson left last year.

14. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +325 / 20 / -48

#50 Jersey

How is Vrabel not big enough? He's bigger than Bruschi and only slightly smaller than what Ted Johnson (by 5 lbs) was listed at. Vrabel is 6'4 and 261 lbs (if you believe the roster). Vrabel is bigger than Bruschi, who is only 6'1 and 250lbs.

Also, I have to disagree with your assessment, somewhat, regarding Beisel. Its his technique that was shoddy. He would try for a guys shoulders to tackle them and not their chest. He also wouldn't explode into his tackles. I don't know if I could question his desire. But I can question his technique. But technique is something that can be changed.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  15. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sorry...

Carter signed with the Skins
    Fujita signed with Saints
  16. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0