Next Best Steps On Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

We seem to be fine on offense. Belichick's first priority on offense seems to be RB; that seems right. And be are likel to add a veteran guards and a draftee guard or two.

We seem to being forced back into amor zone coverages.

Shears is a step in the right direction.

Choosing a DT seems well underway.

So, what's next? A trade for a corner seems right. It is not clear if the fa corners will add much, although this is worth a try.

Sheard, Mayo and an upgrade at DT will go along way to improving our front seven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, but here is an available DT with potential. The price (2nd round pick) is debatable.

From Rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7885/damon-harrison

Jets extended restricted free agent NT Damon Harrison a second-round tender.
NT Damon Harrison has been tendered at the original-round (second) level. Harrison's tender comes with a $2.356 million price tag. ESPN New York had considered Harrison a candidate for a first-round tender, but Gang Green is apparently confident no one will be willing to surrender a day-one pick for the run stopper. Harrison is an integral part of the Jets' ground defense. Mar 9 - 7:38 PM

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes New York will use a first-round tender on restricted free agent NT Damon Harrison.

The first-round tender will be worth at least $3.1 million. Harrison started every game for the Jets last season, grading out as a top-15 interior defensive lineman according to Pro Football Focus. One of the best run stuffers in the game, the Jets should seriously consider locking up Harrison with a longer-term deal. Feb 14 - 1:13 PM

Idk. It would be nice to sign knighton on a weight stipulation deal. Havent heard much.

We seem to be fine on offense. Belichick's first priority on offense seems to be RB; that seems right. And be are likel to add a veteran guards and a draftee guard or two.

So, what's next? A trade for a corner seems right. It is not clear if the fa corners will add much, although this is worth a try.

Sheard, Mayo and an upgrade at DT will go along way to improving our front seven.
I have not read anywhere that the Patriots have had visits from DTs or CBs.

I went into free-agency hoping we can keep Revis and McCourty. Figured we might play more base 4-3 than we did this year. Our division runs the ball a lot. And,we don't face too many good passing attacks. We'll have to go more nickel with an iffy secondary. Makes that DT position more of a priority. I'd go after Knighton. No idea on cost. Would 4/30 with 15m bonus do it? Could make a real low first year cap hit of 4.75m. Then go 7.75, 8.75 and 8.75.

Last edited:
I went into free-agency hoping we can keep Revis and McCourty. Figured we might play more base 4-3 than we did this year. Our division runs the ball a lot. And,we don't face too many good passing attacks. We'll have to go more nickel with an iffy secondary. Makes that DT position more of a priority. I'd go after Knighton. No idea on cost. Would 4/30 with 15m bonus do it? Could make a real low first year cap hit of 4.75m. Then go 7.75, 8.75 and 8.75.

1 / $4M was apparently good enough, and more than BB was willing to pay. I personally never saw the Knighton love.

Just a thought, but here is an available DT with potential. The price (2nd round pick) is debatable.

From Rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7885/damon-harrison

Jets extended restricted free agent NT Damon Harrison a second-round tender.
NT Damon Harrison has been tendered at the original-round (second) level. Harrison's tender comes with a $2.356 million price tag. ESPN New York had considered Harrison a candidate for a first-round tender, but Gang Green is apparently confident no one will be willing to surrender a day-one pick for the run stopper. Harrison is an integral part of the Jets' ground defense. Mar 9 - 7:38 PM

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes New York will use a first-round tender on restricted free agent NT Damon Harrison.

The first-round tender will be worth at least $3.1 million. Harrison started every game for the Jets last season, grading out as a top-15 interior defensive lineman according to Pro Football Focus. One of the best run stuffers in the game, the Jets should seriously consider locking up Harrison with a longer-term deal. Feb 14 - 1:13 PM

That's a really interesting scenario. He is a best and young.

Don't forget Easley ... it will be like two 1st ound picks this year with him healthy.

I think that would be a great move.
Jets couldn't get a chance to match it?

Yes, they would definitely have a chance to match any offers that he receives.

I believe the time period for them to decide is 5 days.

I fully believe 1-3 high quality DB's will be released by other teams within the next 6 months for CAP or some kind of disorderly conduct issue and BB will sign one of them and then perhaps move McCourty back to CB if needed. That is what I see as the next best step in the secondary.

I fully believe 1-3 high quality DB's will be released by other teams within the next 6 months for CAP or some kind of disorderly conduct issue and BB will sign one of them and then perhaps move McCourty back to CB if needed. That is what I see as the next best step in the secondary.
I don't want McCourty moved from Free Safety. He's too valuable there.

If the Patriots get DT locked up, given the return of Mayo (with Collins and Hightower) and McCourty at FS, they have the middle of the field locked up. Take that way and force throws out wide and I'll be fine with that.

I know its been broached before from what I remember but what about Jason McCourty. They are rebuilding with Locker retiring so maybe they'd be open to a trade? 8.5 Cap hit which could be lowerd with an rework? Or impossible?

I know its been broached before from what I remember but what about Jason McCourty. They are rebuilding with Locker retiring so maybe they'd be open to a trade? 8.5 Cap hit which could be lowerd with an rework? Or impossible?
Would love it but I can't see it happening.

I am truly hoping for the same thing. Anything is possible.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents?pg=2

Interior Defensive Linemen

1. Ndamukong Suh (Signed 6-year, $114M deal with MIA)
2. Nick Fairley
3. Terrance Knighton (Signed 1-year, $4M deal with WAS)
4. Dan Williams (Signed undisclosed deal with OAK)
5. Jared Odrick (Signed 5-year, $42.5M deal with JAX)
6. Stephen Paea (Signed four-year, $21M deal with WAS)
7. C.J. Mosley
8. Henry Melton (Signed 1-year, $3.75M deal with TB)
9. Vince Wilfork
10. Darnell Dockett (Signed 2-year, $7.5M deal with SF)
11. Cory Redding (Signed 2-year, $6M deal with ARZ)
12. Randy Starks
12. Barry Cofield
13. Letroy Guion
14. Corey Peters (Signed 3-year, $10.5M deal with ARZ)
15. B.J. Raji
16. Kevin Williams
17. Kenrick Ellis
18. Ahtyba Rubin
19. Red Bryant
20. Tom Johnson (Re-signed 3-year, $7M deal with MIN)
21. Jarvis Jenkins
22. Alan Branch
23. Alex Carrington
24. Dwan Edwards (Re-signed 2-year, $4M deal with CAR)
25. Pat Sims
26. Tommy Kelly
27. Mike Patterson
28. Ricky Jean-Francois (Signed 3-year, $9M deal with WAS)
29. Kendall Langford (Signed 4-year, $17.2M deal with IND)
30. Chris Canty
31. Leger Douzable
32. Karl Klug
33. Colin Cole (Re-signed 1-year, $1.05M deal with CAR)
34. Kevin Vickerson
35. Tyson Alualu (Re-signed 2-year, $6M deal with JAX)
36. Demarcus Dobbs
37. Vance Walker (Signed 2-year, $4M deal with DEN)
38. Andre Fluellen
39. Fili Moala
40. Nick Hayden
41. Stephen Bowen

1) Draft one or two CBs
2) Draft a DT
3) Lock Alfonzo Dennard in a room with Ty Law and don't let him come out until training camp
4) Enjoy the continued maturation of our LBs, DEs, and DTs and hope our font seven can make our corners look great
5) Malcolm Butler time?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents?pg=2

Cornerbacks

1. Darrelle Revis (Signed 5-year, $70M deal with NYJ)
2. Byron Maxwell (Signed 6-year, $63M deal with PHI)
3. Brandon Flowers (Re-signed 4-year, $36.4M deal with SD)
4. Tramon Williams
5. Antonio Cromartie (Signed 4-year, $32M deal with NYJ)
6. Buster Skrine (Signed 4-year, $25M contract with NYJ)
7. Kareem Jackson (Re-signed 4-year, $34M deal with HOU)
8. Davon House (Signed 4-year, $25M deal with JAX)
9. Chris Culliver
10. Perrish Cox
11. Patrick Robinson
12. Cary Williams (Signed 3-year, $18M deal with SEA)
13. Jimmy Wilson
14. Rashean Mathis
15. Brandon Browner (Signed 3-year, $15M deal with NO)
16. Alan Ball
17. Walter Thurmond III (Signed 1-year, $3.25M deal with PHI)
18. Terence Newman
19. Charles Tillman
20. Tarell Brown
21. Brice McCain (Signed 2-year, $5.5M deal with MIA)
22. Darius Butler (Re-signed 2-year, $5M deal with IND)
23. Shareece Wright
24. Cortland Finnegan (Retired)
25. Sterling Moore
26. Bradley Fletcher
27. Kyle Wilson
28. Josh Wilson
29. Robert McClain
30. Will Blackmon (Signed 1-year, $950K deal with SEA)
31. Anthony Levine (Re-signed 2-year, $2.4M deal with BAL)
32. Chris Cook
33. Ike Taylor
34. Brandon Harris
35. Carlos Rogers
36. Mike Jenkins (Re-signed 1-year deal with TB)
37. Antoine Cason
38. E.J. Biggers
39. Chykie Brown (Re-signed undisclosed deal with NYG)

Don't forget Easley ... it will be like two 1st ound picks this year with him healthy.

God I hope you are right and we didn't get another Ras I....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes