Welcome to PatsFans.com

newyorkjets.com Editor-In-Chief looks at the Patriots red zone defense

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

AFCE: Defensive Focal Points for the Pats

After seeing those figures by this Jets analogy:rolleyes:,One of which says that the Patriots Red Zone defense was their worst in Franchise since 1972, I can't see us going anywhere but up in 09

I also think this played a big part in getting rid of Hobbs who was very generous to opponents inside the 20 and not even thinking twice about releasing O'Neal and getting some veteran help in who know better on how to keep opponent off the scoreboard when they need to.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Right, because Jim Johnson can't watch game tape and had no idea Hobbs was the only reason NE ever gave up a score in the red zone. :ugh:

3. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

i have an inkling that redzone defense might be a point of emphasis this tc.

4. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

More likely Third Down defense.

Part of the problem with both defenses last season was experience, NE had Mayo, Meriweather, Guyton, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson, and Woods working in and out of the lineup, the kids were often still "thinking" and not "reacting" or "reading & 'proacting'" (to coin a word), this meant they were behind the play. Those slow veterans have their place in close quarters where their experience let's them take action before the play is over. Just that one year of extra playing time for the kids will have a huge impact, add in Bodden and Springs, and Thomas coming back, and it looks just like BB was working to build for the future while continuing to use transition veterans.

5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Like 2002 when we didn't make the playoffs, Belichick has identified our weak points and made aggressive moves this off-season to fix:

1. Tight end
    2. Cornerback
    3. Safety
    4. O-line.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  6. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Hobbs was horrible! Thank the lord the Pats cleaned house with the secondary from '05-'08. Not only was Hobbs a penalty magnet, he would fall down for no apparent reason while trying to guard WR's. Finally, I'm tired of watching the Pats DB's play 10 yards of the line of scrimmage because they couldn't jam their grandma. Bodden and Springs bring their physical play to the secondary, which should allow their pass rush that extra split second to make a play.

7. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

Hobbs was easy to pick on - but he wasn't as bad as some people suggest. Having said that, I am looking forward to the new crop (especially the first and second year players) as I feel it is an area the team can improve (though I still think Hobbs got too much of the blame at times).

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

He was average at worst. The guy was a tiny warrior who played in big games with MAJOR injuries and muscle tears.

9. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Don't get me wrong, Hobbs wasn't the only one. While Asante Samuel got the picks, he gave up a lot of plays as well. Wheatley and Whilite are similar players to both Samuel and Hobbs. I don't mind if your 3rd and 4th corners are smurfs because slot recievers are usually small, but your starters should be able to be big and tough enough to jam WR's when necessary.

10. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

IMO, big corners are a bad idea unless they are exceptional athletes. They can't change direction quickly enough, and a double move by a WR leaves them out of the play totally.

Then when a small quick CB comes over from his area to help out, people think he had responsibility and blame him.

There aren't many big WRs, and jamming is a double-edged sword anyway. The WR evades the jam and it's 6 points.

11. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

As bad as our defense was, it was pretty good (if that makes sense). We gave up the least points in our division. It's all relative because each situation was different, but it's something to look at.

The only stop I can remember us desperately needing to make that we did make was against the lowly Seahawks when Meriweather killed Wallace.

12. Coach42

Coach42 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +72 / 8 / -12

#87 Jersey

I totally agree, Hobbs is a whipping boy on this site for no reason. Was he the best corner in the league? Absolutely not. Was he a very capable defender? Yes. He was a third round pick who played hard and to his capabilities every week. The whole height thing is so overrated and, unfortunately, the only thing anyone will ever remember him for is Plax catching a superbowl winning touchdown over him. News flash, he could have been 6'10 and not stood a chance on that play!

13. fluoropolymer

fluoropolymer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, Hobbs was so worried about the slant he froze like a deer caught in the headlights. You have to give him credit, he made a lot of big plays when it didn't count. He only failed at critical moments,

14. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That was not in the red zone,Merriweather made that play from midfield

15. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hobbs was not that good - He cost the team so many bad field position situations to defend on because of his way too many PI calls he got in several games a year.

I bet in at least 5 or 6 games every year in his career that Hobbs would get beat deep and then have to try and catch up and make an illegal hit just to keep the WR from scoring and of course those ended up with PI calls anyway.

Good luck Philly,Mcnabb will have to score in bunches with the amount of yardage his boy Hobbs will put the Eagles defense in.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.