Welcome to PatsFans.com

Newt's Story Neutered by Campaign Spokesman

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

All that faux outrage at the "lie" Newt says was perpetrated by ABC that got so much applause at CNN's SC debate?

South Carolina Debate 1/19/12

All that residual indignation still going on in interviews a week later?

Interview with Univision 1/25/12 AM
    Well, guess what? Gingrich is right. There was a lie. A whopper of a lie. And, according to his own people, Gingrich owns it.

Wednesday 1/25/12 PM
    Newt Gingrich Repeated Assertion About ABC News Hours Before Campaign Admitted It Was A Lie

2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

LOL Not shocked at all.

So not shocked that I even understand how and why politicians (and everyone else, for that matter) sometimes lie about really big things - I am a bit awed, however, when people routinely lie about mundane, worthless things which can be easily fact checked.

If you're going to lie, you should probably make sure the lie is very well worth it - otherwise you run the risk of needlessly branding yourself a "liar," over some small insignificant nothing and the reputation will follow you forever.

What possible difference would it make to anyone, friend or foe alike, if Gingrich offered no one or 27 people to rebut Maryanne's story? What was his goal in saying he'd offered rebuttal witnesses other than his daughters? What did he hope to accomplish by such a silly lie? Did he hope to make himself look good? To make ABC look bad? Why double-down and repeat it a week later when you know people are checking into it and you're going to get caught in a big ole whopper?

Does he think the American public is so stupid that they'll believe anything he says not only in the utter absence of concrete proof but in the face of actual evidence to the contrary?

Or is Gingrich one of those narcissistic individuals who actually believes his own spin and thus is incapable of ever telling the truth simply because he does not recognize it?

Either way, scary stuff in an ordinary man, even scarier in a president.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

He's a politician doing what politicians do.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Yea, but somehow when the Republican Politicians do it.. somehow it is ok.

Kennedy, Clinton and Edwards fool around it is terrible, need to bring it every day... Gingrich gets married and has innumerable trists it is ok, because he is Catholic.

What a f..ed up world this has turned into.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Personally, I think every time someone brings up Newt's past sexual indiscretions it does Newt a favor. The fact is, no one really gives a damn.

Far more important is the stuff that's being ignored in favor of ranting about his bed partners....like his grandious dreams of a Space Colony and how he plans on paying for it. Or his plan for the economy which will cause a huge deficient right off the bat. Or his serial lying and his inability to tell the truth or remember the past as it really happened. ("When I was Speaker of the House we had a balanced budget 4 years in a row.") Or his years as a historian/lobbyist for Fannie/Freddie. His plans to put 10 year olds to work. His plans to abolish SS and Medicare.

In other words, the list is endless, the stakes are high and the fact that he's been married multiple times is probably the most irrelevent item to harp upon - and he knows it which is why he keeps it alive by his intense posturing whenever it's brought up.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Newt is going to build prisons on The Moon...........:rocker:

:bricks:
    "hot damn"

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

For all the kids who play dodgeball, kickball and tag from Wolfie's world..

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

I think they do, what has been downplayed are all of the episodes in between the marriages.. this guy was dropping trou in many places.

There are a ton of skeletons in this closet, that will come out during the regular election.

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

What "in-between?"

One thing I'll say about Newt is he never wasted any time.....he had the new one all ready to replace the old one. From what I understand his affairs were long-term, only when he was sure they'd marry him did he leave the former wife. I think the time between each divorce being finalized and the new marriage taking place was a matter of weeks or months.

11. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

So you condemn Kennedy, Clinton and Edwards, you admit they are as bad, maybe even worse than Newt?

12. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski!"

I agree with you :)

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

That's exactly what I'm talking about, actually.

Clinton had reason to lie.....his wife didn't know and he was, most likely, panic-stricken. His trangressions were new, they were shocking and they were, quite possibily, career ending.

Most of us would lie in that instant.

Gingrich, on the other hand, his "stuff" is way in the past. Some of it decades old and all of it known. He's already weathered the storm, his wives (all three of them) all know exactly what happened, when, why and how. As does the rest of the world. The very fact that he's still around and he's a serious contender for the Republican presidential nominee proves his career did not and has not suffered for it.

What possible good did it do for him to lie about something so insignificant as whether or not he "offered" rebuttal to something everyone already knew?