Welcome to PatsFans.com

NEWT's Plea to Republicans: It's Time for Real Change to Avoid Real Disaster

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, May 7, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Personally, I've never met a Native American who couldn't speak English, and I've been through and on a couple of reservations.

Maybe there are some groups in the Southwest that don't like English.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Me neither although I don't know THAT many.
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

You can placate to everyone I guess. Print everything in every language. My opinion, if they want to vote, they should know the common language.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

No I agree, that's why I was wondering in my first post. I was saying theoretically I don't see how you could make the argument that if there were, they should be forced to learn another language. But I find it hard to believe there are Native Americans who can't speak english. Maybe at Foxwoods lol.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well I wasn't trying to say it was, or that they'd been "forced". I said "almost forced". As in people who insist on multilingualism for everything. In years past (the olden days!) there was English. The other day I called some company and it was "for English, press two".

And I was thinking about all the illegals and barely legals who stand around Home Depot parking lots hoping to pick up a day's work, or who work long hours for low wages because they're too afraid and ignorant to do better. Now when I say ignorant I don't mean they're stupid, I just mean they don't know.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

No-one is forcing anything. If you can't read the language you don't vote. You're acting like we want to send them to jail or deport them or something.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

In earlier times there were no bilingual education or acommadation for foreign languages. People were expected to learn English. This facilitates people assimilating into the American culture and guards against balkanization.

If you want to come here learn the language. If you don't want to learn the language stay home.
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Common, "english press #1" maybe not "press #2" I find that very hard to believe. And isn't that a company's prerogative? The current wave of immigration mostly happen to speak one laguage: spanish. But had the Irish, Italians, Greek, Germans etc. all spoken the same language it would have been the same situation back then, when immigration laws were nowhere near as restrictive as they are now. Show up at Ellis Island and you get in. Period. We went through the same intense racism and anti-immigration sentiment when the Chinese came over too.

[​IMG]

What exactly are they ignorant about? Are there better jobs available for them somewhere?
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

There weren't a lot of things in the "good old days." I doubt many immigrant children went to school at all.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I have many friends / business acquantices that speak foreign languages and it doesn't bother me ... I'm used to it. Many of the ones who can speak english speak their native language as a culture thing. I know alot of Cape Verdean men who speak english all the time and yet at their clubs you don't hear one word of English unless they are speaking to me ... :p. For them it's a culture thing.

All the young immigrants and natural born kids of immigrants learn both languages fluently. Many ... in fact teach their parents a word or two. You cannot get very far in this country without knowing English so that's incentive for many to learn.

Immigrants .. back in the earlier 1900's were taken advantage of when they could not or did not speak English and many know this. The people I see every day who cannot speak English definitely are not doing as well (as a group) as those that can.

So ... really ... no laws are needed ... as the border situation gets under control those that don't speak English will become less and less of a minority. English will always be the dominant language here.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

They're ignorant that they don't need to treated like cattle, or tossed aside like a disposable razor once the job is done.

Friend of mine lives in Texas, he talks about how they used to have fun by walking on to construction sites and yelling "la migra" just to see who ran and how fast. Apparently a guy ran right off a roof once (single story) and kept right on running, they never saw him again.

Maybe not better wages...but how about more dignity?
  12. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Do you think Newt Gingrich wants to make everyone learn english so that they don't get taken advantage of? I really doubt this is the motive. And if you are unskilled and undocumented, learning english isn't going to help you very much and it certainly won't stop you from being degraded by the type of people who would degrade them.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You never can tell with Newt, actually. Don't forget how he took the wind out of Kerry's sails when they had that Global Warming summit thing a few years ago.
    He's got a Masters in History, and was a history professor too...so he tends to look at things differently.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I think he wants it for the same reason I do - because it's better for the individual and the country if non English speakers become English speakers. There is no benefit to anyone to not being able to understand the common language.
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Shouldn't the individual be allowed to decide for themselves in a free country?
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Okay...so in a free country, you think an individual should be allowed to decide whether or not to learn the widely used language?

Okay, sure. But then, if they get to decide that, then why should there be "for english, press one" and bilingual ballots and spanish on everything at my local Lowes store?
  17. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I thought privately owned companies are allowed to conduct their business as they see fit. Lowes isn't doing that because they are forced to, they want to tap into a certain market. And if a largely hispanic area votes to have bilingual ballots isn't that democracy? They have as much right to vote on what they want as you do.
  18. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Votes to have bilingual ballots.

It's not the same thing as how it is now, where the ballots are just forced on everyone.

I mean...fine...let everyone else have everything handed to them, sometimes even forced on them. Government will tell us what languages we can speak, where we can speak them and when/where/how they're taught, meantime, kids are graduating from public schools that can't even really get by in English--and you know what I mean, I think.

At some point it's got to stop. America is supposed to be a melting pot after all.
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +506 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Sure but we don't need to placate to them based on that decision. It's bad for the country for them not to speak English so they should be encouraged to speak English. If they don't, that's their choice. But I don't get a ballot driven to me if I "decide for myself" I don't want to leave the house to vote.
  20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

except there's a huge expense involved in driving to your house. Printing the instructions on a ballot in a different language cost us nothing. And I'm still yet to see any tangible reason why "it's bad for the country for them not to speak english."