Welcome to PatsFans.com

Newtown Cops

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Lock The Barn Door After The Horse Gets Out.

At least they are finally showing some common sense in our messed up country, maybe some day America will wake up and build New Asylums for the Insane among us, weed the potential killer maniacs out and lock them up in an institution with big screen TV, posturpedic beds and 3 meals a day, that is far better than living in a cardboard box with nothing to do but plan a killing spree.
    Newtown Calls for Armed School Officers | NBC Connecticut
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +355 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Please name me one mass murderer who lived in a cardboard box.

Funny how The NRA is willing to somehow "weed them out" after they buy a gun but not before.

What's stopping someone, even someone living on the street, from buying a gun if there's no univeral background check required or done?

How do you suggest this "weed out" occur?

Oh, and how much more are you, personally, willing to pay in taxes to support these institutions and all these armed cops in schools?
  3. BrickPat

BrickPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Under existing federal law the ATF can set up a booth at ANY gun show and require background checks-the NRA president even conceded to this fact during a recent C-SPAN press luncheon. The feds for whatever reason (cost, resources, etc) simply don't do it.

Also some governors/state reps are balking at including the mentally ill on the prohibited sales lists because it would be unfair to stigmatize an entire group of people. Oh the hypocrisy...
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

But they should be stigmatized...but I guess we can all pretend they're normal people....carry on.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Hopefully the ATF starts setting up these booths if mandatory checks for everyone isn't passed. The NRA doesn't want the mandatory checks passed so I think you'll see them kicking and screaming if the ATF starts setting up these booths too. The checks as they are, are insufficient in scope. When it comes to owning deadly weapons capable of mass murder, a persons mental state should be considered also.

EDIT: The gun sellers should not be privy to the reason someone is turned down. They do this with credit checks now. The reason for being denied credit isn't disclosed, only that credit was denied. The applicant has to personally contact the credit bureau to discover why. This approach could help the applicant from being stigmatized.

I think the upside of having trained police(not teachers) at schools outweighs the downsides. They can both be a deterrents and protectors for the schools. I really think they can be effective.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Even high level officials believe the new gun laws and increased checks may not have much of an effect. I am 100% for a armed officer in every school in the country. It's not fool proof ... but it's better than what exists now.

It's hard to track loners and catch them before they commit their crime. They manage to slip through the cracks ... we still need prevention like an officer in schools to cover the bases.
  7. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +134 / 7 / -19

"Several police officers have been stationed at all Newtown schools since the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, where 20 children and six staff members were killed."

Newtown Calls for Armed School Officers | NBC Connecticut

Hey, wait a minute.......didn't the NRA suggest something like this?

"In his first extensive public remarks since the mass shooting at a Connecticut school last Friday, the head of National Rifle Association called Friday for all schools to have armed police officers in an effort to curb violent outbreaks akin to the Connecticut shooting."

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre: Put ‘armed police officers’ in every school

And wasn't the NRA criticized for this recommendation on this board by Progressives?

Hmmmm......well then, how come none of the Progressives are criticizing the fine folks of Newtown for doing exactly what the NRA was criticized for recommending? :rolleyes:
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

Maybe because Newton != every single school in the country.
  9. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -1

I don't know if I am really for or against having police in schools. I do think that it might have prevented the 20 dead school kids in Newton. The killer killed himself as soon as he heard the approach of the police. He obviously did not want a confrontation with other people that were armed (for whatever pyscho reason).

So there is a question of if he would have attacked the school had there been an armed police officer there.

Of course, crazy will be crazy and these type of things will continue to happen. You can't really put a police officer in every movie theater or fast food place and so on.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +355 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

You do realize that this "mental illness" catagory will also include drug addicts and alcoholics, (both diseases are classified as both "mental" and "physical" disorders) don't you? And that would include ex-drug addicts and ex-alcoholics, too.

I mean, how do you know someone's "cured" with any of the diseases which affect behaviour?

Doesn't AA say "Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic?"
  11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Did Newtown do the wrong thing?
  12. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +134 / 7 / -19

Who said that it had to be every school in the country? But what's wrong with a state or county or city or even just a school deciding they want an armed protector(s) at their school?

Gun free zones sure as hell don't work. It seems that Newton has decided on armed protectors. So where is the criticism?
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +355 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

14. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +134 / 7 / -19

15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

No. But it's also a far cry from a policy of staffing all schools with police/armed guards.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

The reason there's no criticism is you're conflating two things that are not in any way, shape, or form the same.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +355 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

To be honest, I'm not sure that anyone here objected to armed police or guards in schools....I think what they protested was armed teachers and armed ancillary school personnel.

But now that you mention it, yeah, I think the school districts ought to have a say in it....that's usually what you conservatives want, isn't it? Smaller government, less federal interference, more states rights and state choice?

Seems kinda funny to me that now, on this matter at least, all the neo-cons are all about fed trump state.

So, I'll ask once again, who pays for it? And how? I like kids. I'm fine with my taxes being increased on either a state or federal level to pay for it - are you?
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

19. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +134 / 7 / -19

Actually, it's exactly the same thing. Armed protectors in school....NRA suggested it.....Newton is doing it.
  20. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +345 / 6 / -7

Do I need to write this in Crayola for you?

There's a difference between a nationwide policy to put an armed guard in every school and a school in a town where a massacre just occurred making that decision.

Is it starting to sink in?