Welcome to PatsFans.com

Newt Gingrich's Secret Service protection costs $40,000 per day

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Newt Gingrich, Welfare Queen - Businessweek

His campaign is $4.3 million in debt. He doesn’t hold a prayer of beating Mitt Romney, something he has all but conceded. And yet since March 6th, the Secret Service has honored his request for protection at a cost to taxpayers of roughly $40,000 a day (or, to translate that into a metric Newt might favor, enough to supply 13,333 people a day with food stamps). That would yield a tab of more than $5 million were Gingrich to carry out his vow to stay in the race until the Republican convention at the end of August.

wait......WHAT?

Listen, I know there is a hooker joke in here somewhere, but joking aside...how the flunk does he get secret service detail?
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

I think the guy is a loser hypocrite of monumental proportions, and should have quit a long time ago. My guess is he gets a detail because of his standing as a presidential candidate. I'm guessing they have a criteria that affords a candidate protection. I'm very curious both if there is a standard they follow, and whether or not a detail can be rescinded once one is given. This guy is a arseclown imo. He's the ultimate hypocrite. Smart guy sometimes, but as FOS as they come. I don't think he'll quit until it's 100% nonbeneficial for him to remain. Who knows, maybe the campaign debt is tax deductible for him, which means the more he racks up the better. That's the kind of scumbag I think Newt is.

As an aside, if it costs $40k per day to protect this guy, what's the total cost to run the Secret Service? How many people are being protected on a daily basis? $40k per day is a serious amount of coin.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Presidential candidates be they independent , democrat or republican with no prayer of winning run anyway to get out their messages on a national stage. Granted some are stubborn and game the system. Newt is a good example but by no means is the only one.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

From what I recall as a youngster following politics in NH was the ease of access we had to the candidates when they came to the schools to visit. I recall asking my teacher at the time "why doesn't Jack Kemp have the secret service protecting him?" They told me that the secret service doesn't step in until they are the nominee.

http://www.secretservice.gov/protection.shtml

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election. As defined in statute, the term "major presidential and vice presidential candidates" means those individuals identified as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security after consultation with an advisory committee consisting of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, the majority and minority leaders of the Senate, and one additional member selected by the other members of the committee.

From the article, it seems like Gingritch asked for some kind of special permission. The worst part is the fact that you and I are flipping the bill for a guy who can't seem to manage his $$. I'm all for protection for our political candiates, but when a guy asks for special permission, and has the taxpayer flip the bill....he's a complete douchebag.

Then he has the ballz to talk about wasteful spending, and deficits!!???

If he really is 4.5 mill in the hole....I'm sure people are looking for him to pay up. He might be requesting the protection form the people he owes.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

He should hang it up he's making a fool of himself, politicians are strange people.
    Newt isn't going anywhere in politics he should stick to hitting the Talk Shows and driving the loons nuts, he's pretty good at that, he should find some Hooker to have sex with him in a Church parking lot then invite the saps from NBC to take pictures of him copulating with a Mongolian Prostitute, Mush Mouth Matthews would set himself on fire over that one, he'd be so excited he'd swallow his tongue.

It's all over Newt, go home.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

So ultimately though it's Sec of the DHS who determines whether or not a candidate is viable enough to get a detail? I wonder if he can also determine whether or not that candidate is no longer in need of it. I've got no issues from a general standpoint of providing security to these guys if necessary. I think at this point Newt don't need it.

Newt sucks. Uber fraud. Guy can't manage his own money like u said. I'd never, ever vote for that guy. Ever.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

Remember when Newt was the GOP flavor of the week????

Now he is no more than a trivia question.. may be hanging on for a promise of a cabinet position, perhaps the Head of Department of Whoring Around.