Welcome to PatsFans.com

Newt Gingrich predicts President Hillary Clinton in 2008

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008128628

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...gton/entries/2007/08/07/gingrich_calls_1.html

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

wow... the man who led the crusade against the Clintons in the mid 90s is actually acknowledging their appeal.... it's the bizarro campaign
  3. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He is not being bizarre.

He is just accepting reality.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Save your money, everyone, Hillary's coming after it . . .
  5. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I made a bundle during the last Clinton administration.

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

that's funny.... so did i...

somehow, since 2000, my rent has doubled, insurance has doubled, gas has doubled, electricity has doubled, cell phone has doubled, cable has doubled... salary? nope... not even close... instead, layoffs abound, medical coverages scrapped, pensions in jeopardy, and on and on and on..
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Well, first I think Mr. Clinton is less liberal than Mrs. Clinton. Second, he didn't have Democratic control of both houses as she likely will, third we have more voters now, it seems, who want to stick it to anyone who makes more than they do and fourth a lot of the money people made in the Clinton years disappeared when the bubble burst.

Forgetting the last thing I mentioned, Hillary with a Democrat controlled congress is SCARRRRR-Y.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Without getting into each of those, the world has changed a lot since then regardless of Bush. Emerging markets are challenging our job base, they're using resources which makes them more expensive here. Pensions are different, that's an outdated idea usually replaced by 401K.
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

please don't compare 401K favorably against a legit pension... that's assanine... as for your "emerging markets" claim... that's rich... why don't you add the fluffy "we must learn to adapt in these changing times"... hand me a walmart application while you're at it? lol...

"outsourcing" is the word you probably meant, no?... and no one enables corporate malfeasance quite like the Bush administration...
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Personally I'm much happier with the 401K as I can leave it to my kids, unlike a pension. It's a much better way to build wealth. Not sure what the rest of what you're saying is . . . outsourcing is what it is; NAFTA was a start to that and happened well before Bush II.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

October, 1992 was the initialing ceremony, so it's reasonable to assume that NAFTA was conceived earlier than that. Either way, Bush I was President and likely presided over the negotiation of NAFTA, the document that began the process toward the inevitable Union of North America (UNA), the nation our kids will live in.
  12. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

401k is YOUR money (excluding the match).

In contrast, pension is paid by your employer.

That is the BIG difference.

You CAN leave pension money to your family by choosing Joint and Survivor payment option (this means, if you die, your spouse or kids continue to get your pension).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  13. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Could I veer slightly off topic?

Do you many of you have pensions from your employers? How's it is based, (ie % of pay after years employed)?

Do you get matching contributions to a 401K or similiar plan?

My only "real" job has been the military and we of course have retirement (pension) that is awarded after 20 years. I fall under the high three program which means I get the 50% of the three year average of the highest base pay I received. For every additional year I get 2.5% more. I think it may max out at 75%, I'm not positive though.

We have the Thrift Saving Plan, that all governemt employees can contribute to. It's their version of a 401K, military members do not get matching contributions but DOD civilians do up to 5%.

(Patters/FTW: please feel free to move or delete this if you don't want it in the thread)
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

My Pension from the state is simple, I chose an early out.. after 28 years chose 60% of my salary for life, + 3% annual cola. As I am over 60 the state pays all of my health care, could not have done this, but my wife was also a state employee and she gets 90% of her health care paid. If I wanted to stay for the whole 35 years they would have given me 80% for life.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Actually, that depends when you started. I fall under the TSP so I get a much smaller pension than others who are under the old system but I get the 5% matching on the TSP and until a few years ago was able to put more in.

Before around 1987 = CSRS = mostly pension.
    After that = FERS = mostly TSP.

Which is better depends on the person IMO. The pension is good for those who like to spend what they have but for people who can actually put the max in the TSP I think that's better.
  16. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

FERS you pay 1% into right? My wife is a AF civilian and they take a little each pay period for FERS but she puts in the 15% and they match the 5% in TSP.
    How long do you have to work in FERS to retire with some type of stipend? Or do you work until regular retirement age and draw out your TSP?
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, with FERS the old limit was 15% with 5% matching (wheras the CSRS people could do 10% with no matching). The limit has been lifted now, though, and we're under just the IRS limit with is $15K per year as opposed to 15%.

Anyway, on the pension piece, for full retirement you have to have worked for 30 years and be somewhere over 55 (depending when you started) and then you get approximately 1% for each year you worked, so about 30% (not exactly but real close). I started in 1989 so I can retire at 56.5 as I'll have more than 30 years in at that point.

It's laid out pretty well here :

http://federaljobs.net/retire/eligibility.htm

with CSRS on top and FERS below that.

And, yeah, sorry to everyone else for kind of changing the subject :)
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  18. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personally, I don't think there's a rat's chance in hell this is the ticket. Even ignoring their current frostiness towards each other, Hillary can't have a VP nominee that completely overshadows her in terms of charisma and charm. Plus, let's face it... having a woman nominee is going to be a new thing so going with an African-American as the #2 would just be too much.
  19. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the explanation and the link.
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Hillary isn't picking Obama. I don't think Edwards either, he's old news as a VP candidate. Sounded like some of the Dems last night were on Hillary's side, sounds like they're vying for the #2 spot already.