Welcome to PatsFans.com

Newt Calls on the "Family Value" Party

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

to put their money where their mouth is......

I'm not surprised none of our conservative supporters of Newt Gingrich has started a thread about last night's debate.

I mean, it's probably gonna take some time to come to terms with Newt's stance on illegal aliens who've been in this country for a while.

I don't like the man, and I'm appalled at what he said about doing away with child labor laws - but I'll give him credit for calling it like it is re: "Family values" and amnesty for illegals who've been in this country long enough to grow roots.

"I don't see how the party that says it's the party of family is going to adopt an immigration policy which destroys families which have been here a quarter century and I'm prepared to take the heat for saying let's be humane in enforcing the law," he said.

Newt's Big Risk - Newt Gingrich - Fox Nation
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I agree with him that we need to enforce the law in a humane way, but I am not sure I agree entirely with the idea that someone who isn't caught for 20 years should get a free pass...

I am for greater legal immigration, but the problem is how do you navigate the transition? Granting legal status to those who have circumvented the law is a slap in the face to those who have played by the rules and may act as an incentive to disregard even the new laws.

I see nothing wrong with Newt standing on a principle here. I think that is what we want from our leaders, no?

That said, Huntsman is still my guy.
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Not necessarily. Lots of people get "grandfathered in" to all kinds of situations. Those who come after the rules or the laws are changed are aware that it's going to be different for them.

Our building recently changed it's rules from an unlimited number of pets to one pet per unit. However, those of us who already have more than one are allowed to keep all of our pets. It's the new tenants who will not be allowed more than one. It is what it is - same thing for a one time amnesty for established aliens.

Exactly what we want, I think. At least it's something "I" want.

While I admire Newt for his stance on this one particular matter I do not like much else about him so it doesn't really affect my opinion one way or another. I'm interested to hear how his supporters here feel about it, however. Is it a deal breaker for them or what?

Huntsman looked good last night. I do really like what I know about him so far. He's got an intelligent, quiet, non-blustery way about him that inspires confidence and is quite appealing and reassuring.

That alone ensures he'll never get the nomination.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

Most crimes also have statutes of limitations, so it's not a novel concept.
  5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

But that usually does not apply if you are still in the act of committing said crime.
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

Right, but I'm only referring to the concept not being something unheard of -- I'm not saying they're the same thing, because they're not (for a lot of reasons).
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

You have to remember that for a good portion of illegals here - they were brought here by their parents when they were small children. Small children do not commit crimes. So there are a whole lot of high school and college aged kids out there who've been in this country for over a decade or two - and, while they are not "legal," they did not commit a crime. They simply came here as infants with their parents, they had no say in the matter.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Rick Perry got lightly hit for the n-head thing, he got hammered when he took up the position you're espousing here.

That tells me a lot about Republicans.